Community
Wiki Posts
Search

traffic/travel time to/from DAR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
traffic/travel time to/from DAR

[was posted at the end of 'killing time at DAR' thread, but would like some responses so bumping into separate thread]

Going to DAR next week, first time, short stay.

Landing at 1820 from NBO, no bags, visa on arrival... any estimate of how long it will take to get to the Hyatt (ex-Kempinski)?

On departure, I'm on a 1910 flight to NBO, no bags, will have checked-in online, aiming to be at airport at 18h, what time to leave the hotel? [or do I need more than 70 minutes at DAR?]

Are taxis easy to get from the airport? And is there an ATM at the airport for TZS?

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat
Take about an hour to leave airport (or less if you're lucky). Best to order a car/driver from the hotel to pick you up (good for security as well).
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For VoA, based on my experiences and others I've read about here, you will have to wait til all the other passengers who don't need VoA to be processed before you can be taken care of. So depending on how busy it is, you could be waiting quite a while. My last time we arrived late at night so I only had to wait for the rest of the 737 I was on to be processed before they could take care of me and a couple other muzungus. It didn't matter that I was in business class. If I remember correctly they had chairs to wait in which was nice.

If you know East Africa well then you should be fine with a taxi of which there are plenty at the airport. Otherwise maybe it would be best to plan ahead as noted above. Traffic wise, you didn't say what day of the week? Fridays are horrible. Weekends are better in general. But you should ring down to the hotel concierge to be sure.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:14 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by stimpy
For VoA, based on my experiences and others I've read about here, you will have to wait til all the other passengers who don't need VoA to be processed before you can be taken care of. So depending on how busy it is, you could be waiting quite a while. My last time we arrived late at night so I only had to wait for the rest of the 737 I was on to be processed before they could take care of me and a couple other muzungus. It didn't matter that I was in business class. If I remember correctly they had chairs to wait in which was nice.

If you know East Africa well then you should be fine with a taxi of which there are plenty at the airport. Otherwise maybe it would be best to plan ahead as noted above. Traffic wise, you didn't say what day of the week? Fridays are horrible. Weekends are better in general. But you should ring down to the hotel concierge to be sure.
Thanks both

It's an E190 from NBO, so even if it's full there shouldn't be too many to wait for to clear immigration.

And while I'm fine with a taxi, my travelling companion is less confident, so I've booked a hotel car. Heading back to the airport on Thursday - will take advice from the hotel.

EDIT post trip

They must have changed the immigration procedure - now a VISA desk on the right, give them passport and $50 and wait for name to be called, get passport back with 'visa' written in in biro, join regular immigration queue. We were through in <30 minutes from landing, but then took more than an hour to the hotel.

On the way back, the front desk said 'around 25 minutes to the airport', which we ignored. Gave ourselves 90, took 85.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Nov 7, 2014 at 6:34 am Reason: post trip update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.