FIH to LHR (via CDG) baggage query

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas PlatinumOne (OneWorld Emerald)

Hi all,

Cross-posting a query that I just made on the Air France forum, in case anybody here can shed any light!

For an upcoming trip to Congo, I'm flying home FIH to LHR (via CDG) with AF - having flown LHR to BZV outbound, also with AF and via CDG.

My query is about the check through of my luggage. Even though I'm buying the route through to LHR as one ticket, and both legs are AF, I assume that I should collect and re-check my luggage at CDG. Is this correct?

My reasoning is nothing to do with capability at CDG, but because I understand that FIH airport works with very few automated systems and literally does handwritten luggage tags for each bag. In these circumstances, I'm struggling to believe that my bag will successfully be identified at CDG as needing to be put onto my flight to LHR.

Very grateful for opinions from anybody who has flown this situation - or anything like it, ie from a very basic developing world airport with a connecting flight.

Also, although I've travelled pretty widely in Eastern and Southern Africa, this is my first time in West Africa. So any general tips on arriving into BZV airport or departing from FIH will be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:41 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
While I can't help you with this specific situation, I can point you towards an outstanding trip report detailing departure from FIH

Actually, FIH is not that primitive at all, so I would be very surprised if this was any different to any other connection, with bag checked through to final destination.

Generally, your biggest differences between DRC and East/South Africa is relative lack of tourism combined with Francophone nature - don't expect anyone to speak English, for example. But it's not as scary as people make out.. at least that's what I found.

Actually there's a couple of other recent trip reports (one from hauteboy and another from ironmanjt) outlining arrivals at BZV, and also talking about crossing the Congo by boat, which I would guess is how you're doing it.... might be enlightening

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Oct 1, 2014 at 2:26 am Reason: adding other TR details
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Whether hand-written or not, AF is AF and your bags will arrive at LHR fine. There's no need to do anything at CDG, the bags will be moved to your LHR flight automatically. The only thing you would have to worry about is that the AF staff at FIH tag it correctly for LHR.

And BZV has a pretty decent airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.