Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

MY 2015 AFRICA TRIP - Planes, Trains and Automobiles…..and yes wildlife too!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MY 2015 AFRICA TRIP - Planes, Trains and Automobiles…..and yes wildlife too!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Ok....I have just returned to Australia after completing our trip.

Overall the trip was just simply amazing, and my wife rates it as our best ever.

Some parts were challenging, some parts were dusty!!!, some parts were tough, but on the whole it was all very, very good!

From our drive from Nairobi to Victoria Falls, the wines and views of the Cape Town Region to our 1100 km in the Kruger Region it was a fantastix experience.

I will get around to writing a separate post-trip report, but for anyone contemplating going and partaking in self-drive exploration in southern africa then you should go for it!

A BIG THANK YOU TO:
* all those fellow forumites who contributed in this thread and the Africa Sub-forum that I gained so much useful advice from
* to all those that we met in Africa and to our various providers.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Sep 22, 2015 at 4:30 am
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Our six week adventure is over and I have now had time to pick out the best photos and write a few post-trip notes.

Africa was a great experience, and exceeded our hopes and expectations. Which is not to say that some days were not long and hard, for they were. One also needs to be cautious as well, as crime is rife (there is a massive number of extremely poor people in africa and unemployent is very high) and evident by the ever present security measures. Some tourists never leave "the bubble" and so are not aware of it. But there are just so many, many great things about Africa and hopefully my pre & post-trip reports have revealed some to you.

Memories that will last a liftetime.

My wife rates it as our best journey yet, and I cannot disagree.

We once had a travel photo-journalist neighbour and one of his favourite sayings was that "travel is food for the soul". Well, we supped long and deeply of Africa, and our souls are replete!

To read my Post-Trip Report: Nairobi to Cape Town & Kruger too: Plains, Wines and Automobiles (4WD) & yes Cats too!!! see HERE

(PS: I hope you don't mind me linking to it. I was going to repeat it here, but it is rather long and would have taken a substantial effort to have done so).

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Sep 22, 2015 at 4:29 am
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster

A taster from the full Post-Trip Report

It was an amazing trip!!! From the 4500km 4WD drive, to sampling one of africa's best restaurants in The Test Kitchen, to the stunning views and wines of the Cape Town Region, to our final 1100km drive in the Kruger Region it was a lifetime full of memories.

The wildlife was amazing and included experiences such as:
* Being within 10m of two rhinos while on foot
* Being only 5m away from two mating lions
* Being only 10m away from 3 male lions with a fresh kill of an antelope with 3 jackals circling them

Camped on the shores of Lake Malawi, Malawi

Sunset over the Zambezi River

Being within 10m of two rhinos while walking on foot

Being only 5m away from two mating lions.

Being only 10m away from 3 male lions with a fresh kill of an antelope with 3 jackals circling them

Kicking back with a glass of sauvignon blanc enjoying the best view in Kruger National Park from our cliff edge bungalow at Olifants Rest Camp.

A view that took your breath away - Walking the coast at Kleinmond, near Hermanus

If you are considering a similar self-drive trip 4WD, then my advice is to go for it!

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Jan 21, 2017 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

NOTE: I have restored the links to pics in the post above which had become broken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.