Street Food in Sub-Saharan Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:41 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Street Food in Sub-Saharan Africa

Compliments of the season, FT

I'd like to know what you all think are the best cities in Sub-Saharan Africa for street food. Not necessarily in terms of quality - this is street food - but for variety and presence (that is, stalls can be found throughout the city, not just in a downtown/tourist area).

Based on previous travels, Johannesburg's offerings left much to be desired, Harare had nothing and Addis Ababa had more shoe polish than food.

Thanks for your input, particularly because your responses will help me in planning my next trip.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: IFlyAlaska
I hope this thread gets some attention.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
2 nights in NBO coming up. Would love to know anything about street food (my vice in life - well that and booze
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
As we drove down from Nairobi to Cape Town - I can honestly say that street food was not something one goes to Africa for.
Unlike other parts of the world (MEast, Asia, etc...) - it just wasnt happening.

In general, there was more diversity in food, and in the supermarkets, and the prices also went down as one went south.

Beer on the other hand was plentiful. As was moonshine.
By Vic Falls, it was easy to enjoy a cool Savannah Dry or some Mainstay with coke.
Tusker in Kenya, Kili in Tanzania, Windhoek in Namibia
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:47 am

rankourabu's reply resonated with me,especially the first part. Ive been to 48 African countries. I don't go to Africa-for-non-Africans (safaris, Morocco, Sandton, beaches, Kilimanjaro...) Fruit and packaged "treats" are sometimes sold on streets and out of yards and near bush taxi rally points. But indulgences like Asian night markets arr not African. The exception would be around Ramadan and Iftar, but these are closed and family things in my experience.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you go off the beaten tourist path, you'll find the best food in people homes that double as "restaurants". I find that especially so in central and west Africa. For example, the porcupine in Cameroon is a very special delicacy when home cooked.

I'm a fan of street food in cities like Los Angeles, Salvador, and Bangkok, etc., but with a few exceptions, you just don't see it as much in Africa.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:19 am

....and outside capitals and major commercial cities, you'll be hard-pressed to find any prepared food, much less a restaurant.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
....and outside capitals and major commercial cities, you'll be hard-pressed to find any prepared food, much less a restaurant.
Yes and no. Along the coast, of which there's a lot in Africa, you can often find eats because of course you find some sort of tourism. Even in small towns along the coast I've found good food both on the Atlantic and Pacific sides.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:41 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by stimpy
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Yes and no. Along the coast, of which there's a lot in Africa, you can often find eats because of course you find some sort of tourism. Even in small towns along the coast I've found good food both on the Atlantic and Pacific sides.
Pacific? I think you might mean Indian!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Pacific? I think you might mean Indian!
Ooops! I somehow was thinking of South America there. Sorry about that.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Not quite street food, but in the francophone countries you can usually find a good patisserie/boulangerie
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I haven't ever seen street food in West Africa, though there are cheap informal stands selling cooked food in many markets.

The East and South do better:

The night market on Zanzibar has good grilled octopus.

You can sometimes get good snack type things like samosas at bus stations.

There used to be and possibly still is a really good shwarma stand outside the large supermarket in Lusaka, Zambia.

But the person who criticized South African street food must not have spent time around Durban. I love bunny chow (hollowed out bread, filled with some sort of curry.) A half veggie bunny is an excellent road meal.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
If you go off the beaten tourist path, you'll find the best food in people homes that double as "restaurants". I find that especially so in central and west Africa. For example, the porcupine in Cameroon is a very special delicacy when home cooked.
Just steer clear of the fruit bat.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:46 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mhnadel
I haven't ever seen street food in West Africa, though there are cheap informal stands selling cooked food in many markets.

The East and South do better:

The night market on Zanzibar has good grilled octopus.

You can sometimes get good snack type things like samosas at bus stations.

There used to be and possibly still is a really good shwarma stand outside the large supermarket in Lusaka, Zambia.

But the person who criticized South African street food must not have spent time around Durban. I love bunny chow (hollowed out bread, filled with some sort of curry.) A half veggie bunny is an excellent road meal.
I had bunny chow from a local shop in Soweto. Blech. But I didn't see it as street food in Johannesburg or Cape Town; what other options were there in Durban?

Also, what was the octopus grilled with in Zanzibar?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Also, what was the octopus grilled with in Zanzibar?
There are many choices, as the night market is quite big.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...chipelago.html

As with all tourist things in Africa, its overpriced, but hey......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.