Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals

I'm heading there with my wife in early August. We'll be staying in City Centre. The hotel is 20 kg (20 min) away. The main focus of the trip will be shark cage diving for one morning, about 40 minute drive each way from the hotel. I also have a reservation at a restaurant about 4 km (7-9 min by car) away. The rest of the time in Cape Town hasn't been planned yet, but I'm certain we'll leave the downtown area to see the sights and views, maybe visit Table Mountain...

Is renting a car a good idea in Cape Town? I believe they drive on the left side of the road there (I did this once while driving in Grand Cayman, took about half a day to get used to it), but what about parking, traffic, laws and logistics?

Thanks for any insight!
Old May 13, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Cape Town for 4.5 days... rent a car or take public transportation?

I'm heading there with my wife in early August. We'll be staying in City Centre. The hotel is 20 kg (20 min) away. The main focus of the trip will be shark cage diving for one morning, about 40 minute drive each way from the hotel. I also have a reservation at a restaurant about 4 km (7-9 min by car) away. The rest of the time in Cape Town hasn't been planned yet, but I'm certain we'll leave the downtown area to see the sights and views, maybe visit Table Mountain...

Is renting a car a good idea in Cape Town? I believe they drive on the left side of the road there (I did this once while driving in Grand Cayman, took about half a day to get used to it), but what about parking, traffic, laws and logistics?

Thanks for any insight!
Old May 14, 2014, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
First, driving on the left is no problem - you just do what the others do! Traffic regulations are international. Speed limit signs are in kilometres.

Having said that, I don't think I'd bother renting a car if staying in Cape Town most of the time. There is growing public transportation, but nothing like in LA (assuming your handle is your location ). There are city buses and train lines, though in general the trains are to be avoided except for the line to Simon's Town - and if you're going that way, be sure to visit the penguins at Boulders Beach.

What you'd spend on renting a car would more than cover taxis inside Cape Town. There's also a sightseeing jump on jump off bus operating on two routes which is an economic way to get to the Table Mountain aerial cableway - parking a car there is not easy.

Does the shark-diving company offer a pick up in Cape Town? If it does, that would decide things for me.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:01 am

I'm a bit confused by your comment that "We'll be staying in City Centre. The hotel is 20 kg (20 min) away." but on the whole, I'd take the alternate view to Roger. Yes, the public transportation infrastructure is growing in CPT and there's always the taxi/sightseeing bus options but my personal preference is to have the freedom to go where I want when I want to. You don't need to rent a luxury car but last I booked(which admittedly was last September) a rental for a few days from the airport wasn't too expensive. CPT just doesn't have the CBD density or broad public transport layout to go without private transportation for a short trip, IMHO. Now if I'm misunderstanding your trip and the only thing outside of the CBD is the cage-diving, maybe a rental car is too much. It's a beautiful city either way and enjoy the trip.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How many feet are in a kg?
Old May 14, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: *A, PD
I would go with a rental car, you can get them from the airport for $15CAD/day with unlim KM or cheaper (stick shift mini with AC). Parking is either free or super cheap and by getting a rental car, you are free to do whatever you want.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:34 pm

I realise I might have helped ruin your thread on cage diving - I'll try not to do it to this one.

I would say no car (but only just) due to the relatively short amount of time you are there. Assuming your on, or close to, the route, use the sightseeing bus to get around town, including to Table Mountain and The Waterfront attractions.

Get a two day pass (it works out cheaper) and plan your trips around the bus times and routes.

I did hire a car but was there for longer than you, and made trips to Cape Agulhas, Cape of Good Hope, Hermanus Whale Festival, a wildlife reserve as well as into the Town Centre. I also used it for picking up and dropping off the hire car from the Avis Depot in the centre of Cape Town. I had Emirates complimentary chauffeur drive to/from the airport so didn't need it from there.

What may change my opinion would be if you want to tell us where you're staying and dining as that could affect the advice given.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:27 am

The answer depends on what you want to do while in Cape Town. If you're just doing shark cage diving and staying near the city itself, then a car rental wouldn't be necessary. You can visit Table Mountain, some museums, the waterfront, Robben Island, and a few other attractions by walking or taking a cheap cab. If you want to visit the Wine lands, Cape of Good Hope, Boulder Beach (penguins), Chapman's peak drive, and other places, then it would be advisable to bring a car.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

OP here.

The shark thing is the main attraction for us. We land early morning on Aug 1 and hope to check in to Holiday Inn Express in City Centre ASAP. If the room isn't available, we'll leave our luggage and probably walk around a bit. I'm sure we'll need time to settle in that first day, but have a dinner reservation at The Test Kitchen that night.

I've booked for an early morning shark expedition on Aug 3, in Simon's Town. According to Google, it's a 40 min drive. We're supposed to be done at around 1 pm, and by the time we get back to the hotel, I imagine it'll be 2-3 pm. I'm sure we'll need to nap in the afternoon. Aug 2 and 4 are free days, meaning I don't have anything planned. And our flight leaves in the evening of Aug 5.

Basically, the only things I've planned are the dinner reservation and the shark thing. I wouldn't mind checking out Table Mountain, but I don't know if the winter season is a good time to go there. We could do a tour of the city and Winelands. But none of those are musts. Regarding the drive to Simon's Town, the diving company can pick us up, but for about $30-35 roundtrip per person. That's about a day's rental fee. On the other hand, I certainly could benefit from napping in the van.

From what I gather, car rentals aren't too expensive and taxi prices are typical of the US. As long as parking isn't an issue most of the time, I'm leaning toward renting a car.
Old May 16, 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
OP here.

The shark thing is the main attraction for us. We land early morning on Aug 1 and hope to check in to Holiday Inn Express in City Centre ASAP. If the room isn't available, we'll leave our luggage and probably walk around a bit. I'm sure we'll need time to settle in that first day, but have a dinner reservation at The Test Kitchen that night.

I've booked for an early morning shark expedition on Aug 3, in Simon's Town. According to Google, it's a 40 min drive. We're supposed to be done at around 1 pm, and by the time we get back to the hotel, I imagine it'll be 2-3 pm. I'm sure we'll need to nap in the afternoon. Aug 2 and 4 are free days, meaning I don't have anything planned. And our flight leaves in the evening of Aug 5.

Basically, the only things I've planned are the dinner reservation and the shark thing. I wouldn't mind checking out Table Mountain, but I don't know if the winter season is a good time to go there. We could do a tour of the city and Winelands. But none of those are musts. Regarding the drive to Simon's Town, the diving company can pick us up, but for about $30-35 roundtrip per person. That's about a day's rental fee. On the other hand, I certainly could benefit from napping in the van.

From what I gather, car rentals aren't too expensive and taxi prices are typical of the US. As long as parking isn't an issue most of the time, I'm leaning toward renting a car.
Definitely rent a car. Driving in Cape Town is easy, and there are so many easy scenic drives and detours. For example, coming back from Simon's Town, stop off at Boulders to see the penguins, then drive over to the other side of the peninsula ---> Chapman's Peak Drive ---> Camps Bay ----> follow the coast back to Cape Town: great drive, or from Camps Bay, up and over Camps Bay Drive, past the Cable Station, hurtling descent into the CBD, or detour to Signal Hill for some great views etc etc. You miss out a lot of Cape Town taxiing around.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
If you do rent, hotel parking is on a first come, first served basis and is charged at ZAR 50 a day. Additional parking is available at a public car park 100m away paying by the hour.

I've not stayed at the HIE though I've stayed nearby in similar hotels. It's certainly in the city centre and much is walkable. The V&A Waterfront would probably need a cab or the sightseeing bus in the winter.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat
We rented a car back in January. I don't think it was necessary in Cape Town it was nice to have it. A couple of things: Ours was a manual transmission. I hadn't drove a stick in a long time, and shifting with left arm definitely was a bit tricky and took some getting used to.

Also if you do decide to rent, inspect the car thoroughly. Document every single scratch, dent, dead bug, etc... and TAKE PICS. When we returned the car they tried to claim damage. We fought and got out of it, but it was a hassle.

Also, if you do not get insurance thru them regardless of having it thru your credit card, they will want to run your card for a big chunk of change.

One more thing! Guard your CC numbers carefully in restaurants. Even though they bring the machine to the table, often the entire number is printed on the receipt you sign and give back to them. Cross it out! We didn't realize this at first, and we got nailed with a bunch of charges including 9K of wholesale fish on our card. Again, not the end of the world, but a hassle.

Cape Town is an awesome city. Enjoy it, but be smart!

Last edited by billk86; May 16, 2014 at 10:10 am Reason: content
Old May 17, 2014, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billk86
We rented a car back in January. I don't think it was necessary in Cape Town it was nice to have it. A couple of things: Ours was a manual transmission. I hadn't drove a stick in a long time, and shifting with left arm definitely was a bit tricky and took some getting used to.
I looked up car rental prices, and they are very affordable. Of course, cars with automatic transmission were significantly more expensive to rent (almost twice the cost). I can comfortably drive a manual transmission vehicle, but I've never done so with a right hand drive car. My only experience with a RHD car was in Grand Cayman, with an automatic transmission. It took me a while to get used to that, I don't know if I want to shift with my left hand to add to the learning curve.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:11 am

Just as an option, in case you don't rent a car.

I had the dive company in Simon's Town arrange my pickup. You mention $35 RT, but the offer price I saw was $35 one way and about $50 RT. So I took the train back. It was a little slow, but it's a nice ride along the coast for only like $3 if I recall. The train was a little late, and the windows aren't the best for viewing, but it was pleasant.

Afterward my boat ride (no dives that day), there are some nice little restaurants and shops in Simon's Town and several of us had a drink and ate lunch from our boat.

The penguin beach is about a mile further than the dock area, and the train station is about .5 or .75 miles the other direction. I walked to the penguin area, then back to the train.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:54 pm

Just to throw my 2 cents in -

I am planning a 10 day trip to Cape Town and I have opted to split the difference on the car rental. When we first arrive we won't get a car, and we'll do all the things that can be done without first. Part way through the trip, we will get a car (there is a rental counter onsite at our hotel) - which we are also using for the garden route and returning at PLZ. Then we will be able to do any of the things that require a car. I realize this may not work for a shorter trip, but may be an option depending on your priorities.

Personally, I'm not keen on getting into a car on the opposite side of the road, opposite side of the car, potentially with a stick-shift (which I, too, am comfortable driving at home), immediately after getting off an especially long overnight flight, in an unfamiliar city. I'll be far for comfortable after a period of adjustment and rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.