Search

overnight at ADD - Addis Ababa airport

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
overnight at ADD - Addis Ababa airport

Off to a friend's wedding in Zanzibar. I'm trying to save on the travel budget, and find myself arriving in ADD at 03:30 from Madrid via Cairo, leaving for ZNZ at 10:30.

Has anyone got a clear picture of what ADD is like at that time of night/day in terms of finding a lounge or a quiet corner ?

Chjeers, Ian
Old May 27, 2012, 3:37 pm

Addis is largely quiet when you arrive at 330am and then gets ridiculously crazy from about 6am until you depart during the main African departure bank.

There are plenty of quiet corners if you don't mind sitting/sleeping on the floor with the dozens of others with the same idea.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Addis is largely quiet when you arrive at 330am and then gets ridiculously crazy from about 6am until you depart during the main African departure bank.

There are plenty of quiet corners if you don't mind sitting/sleeping on the floor with the dozens of others with the same idea.
Thanks for that! I'm hoping my shiny gold *A card might get me into a lounge, at least from 6-ish onwards.

I'd like to grab the opportunity and have a day or two in Addis, but time isn't on my side this trip.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:05 pm

No guarantees on my memory here, but I'm pretty sure Ethiopian Air had a 24 hour Cloud Nine Lounge at Addison Abbaba Airport. Even though I was flying Ethiopian with my United *A (Premier Executive) card, I could get admitted. If you're not on Ethiopian coming or going, I suspect you won't have much luck.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
ethiopian is now part of the star alliance, so if you are travelling on *A, you should be able to go into their lounge if it is open. There isn't much other seating until you are allowed into your gate just before boarding, so plan for going to one of the restaurants or sitting on the floor if you stay at the airport. If you are transiting on Ethiopian for both legs of your flight they often provide a hotel for long layovers but might be an 8hr cutoff.

The last time I had a long layover in ADD they gave economy customers a room and a meal at the wabe shebele hotel in Mexico Square. It was simple and clean but certainly an old, previously government owned hotel. Business class was taken to the (also old) Hilton.

Another option would be to make a reservation at a hotel and discuss with them that you'd be arriving very early in the AM. However, to do that you'd need a transit visa on arrival which might eat up another hour of the time you'd have to leave the airport. I'd just bring a blanket and a book if I were you.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if ET gives free transit hotels to ALL pax or just to those on revenue tickets? I have a business class award ticket with a 10 hour layover and was wondering if they will give me a hotel.

Is the lounge open 24-hours a day? Last time I was there, it was during the daytime so dont remember looking for the overnight hours.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know if ET gives free transit hotels to ALL pax or just to those on revenue tickets? I have a business class award ticket with a 10 hour layover and was wondering if they will give me a hotel.
Yes, passengers on award tickets will get hotel vouchers. Passengers on non-revenue (ID/AD) tickets however will not.

Lounge is open overnight.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Yes, passengers on award tickets will get hotel vouchers. Passengers on non-revenue (ID/AD) tickets however will not.

Lounge is open overnight.
Thanks! Is Biz class still the Hilton? or something closer to the airport?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:30 am

Thanks! Is Biz class still the Hilton? or something closer to the airport?
Depends on availability. During the AU Conference a few weeks ago, they were really struggling to find availability anywhere. Waits of 4-6 hours to be assigned a room were normal.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on availability. During the AU Conference a few weeks ago, they were really struggling to find availability anywhere. Waits of 4-6 hours to be assigned a room were normal.
Is there any way to coordinate hotel in advance like at checkin of origin?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:23 am

Is there any way to coordinate hotel in advance like at checkin of origin?
No. The vouchers are handed out on a first-come-first-serve basis at the transit desk in Addis.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. The vouchers are handed out on a first-come-first-serve basis at the transit desk in Addis.
Does this mean that there are sometimes not enough to go around? I will be in business class and arriving at 8pm, hope I get there before most other pax!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:47 am

Does this mean that there are sometimes not enough to go around? I will be in business class and arriving at 8pm, hope I get there before most other pax!
They always find enough hotels to go around, especially for Business Class passengers. Quality deteriorates at the bottom end of the scale! Business Class almost always winds up at the Hilton though.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called Ethiopian yesterday to work on seat assignments and asked about my ticket (UA award ticket in C). At first, the agent said yes, you get a hotel. Then she said, no, you do not. Then she spoke to a supervisor, and came back and said, yes you do. She also said the transit visa is at your own expense ($20 USD).

Luckily, I know that FT reports are more trustworthy than the phone agent. Still, worried they may come up with an excuse when I get to ADD. Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:45 am

She also said the transit visa is at your own expense ($20 USD).
You don't actually get the normal transit visa for the STPC. Instead you get a laminated plastic token which you hand to immigration and they stamp your passport for a 24 hour stay. No need to line up for the actual visa if you don't intend staying any longer than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.