Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nigeria

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I agree with GoldCircle. Make sure the hosting company arranges for your transport to and from the hotel (and of course to and from the company). DO NOT rely on local taxi cabs to take you anywhere. You will end up going for a ride and probably losing a few belongings (if not all). Make sure the company communicates clearly who will be picking you up. A description of some sort would be recommended rather than a simple name of a piece of paper.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
I ALWAYS use a colleague from the hosting firm. I've never had a Nigerian taxi firm that I trusted to the point of re-using, or allowing to collect me. The hosting company understands this.
Unfortunately I don't really have a hosting company. I guess I will call the hotel (Four Points Sheraton) to see what options they have.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Make sure the company communicates clearly who will be picking you up. A description of some sort would be recommended rather than a simple name of a piece of paper.
I always set up a two tier challenge question-answer in advance to verify the driver is the correct one.

A common problem at Lagos Airport is for scammers to copy the names that various drivers are holding up and then intercept the passengers before they are able to liaise with the correct driver. I had it happen a few years ago that 4 drivers were holding signs with my name on it, but only one knew the appropriate challenge question-answer. The others were simply trying their luck, having copied my name from the sign.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:17 am

Programs: LH FT, Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I always set up a two tier challenge question-answer in advance to verify the driver is the correct one.

I had it happen a few years ago that 4 drivers were holding signs with my name on it, but only one knew the appropriate challenge question-answer. The others were simply trying their luck, having copied my name from the sign.

Now thats a bit dodgy, or do you happen to bear a common name like "Mr Smith" or perhaps you are a "Mr Johnson" or "Mr Williams"

http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nordicintransit
Now thats a bit dodgy, or do you happen to bear a common name like "Mr Smith" or perhaps you are a "Mr Johnson" or "Mr Williams"
Not uncommon (although the spelling is a bit non-traditional), but not particularly common for that part of the world by any means.

Nowadays, with mobile phones being commonplace, its a lot easier to find your driver by simply calling him! That luxury didn't exist in Nigeria until around 5-7 years ago!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:48 am

Transitting thru Lagos from JNB on SAA connecting to LH- Is there a decent business class lounge for layover?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
The LH lounge, up the spiral staircase, is a pit.

I have always used the BA lounge on their opendoors policy for Golds. That no longer applies. If you have a Priority pass, you can shop around; none of the lounges is great.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 4:40 pm

I had read that there was a SAA lounge- did that lounge ever get built.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Never seen one; that's not the same as saying there isn't one, though. When exiting immigration, one tends to cast one's eyes down and move as fast as possible so you don't get stopped for a little something, something. So, I just move out and left without stopping... I suppose it could be to the right, somewhere...
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:41 pm

Visa for US citizen in transit JNB-LOS-FRA??

I am suddenly worried and need to confirm if I will need to go through immigration for a 3 hour transit stay and if I will need to get ( purchase) a visa. Then I have read that a yellow fever vaccination is required for all - Am using CO miles and travelling SAA-LH and was told neither is required. The Nigerian govt website does not mention transit.

Last edited by naxos; Nov 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm Reason: sp-
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Easy explanation; a purely (very wise) business decision.

Nigeria=Oil

Oil=IAH=CO major hub.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:21 pm

tentseller-- I am looking to find out if I will need a visa to transit while waiting for my LH flight. AND if I need a yellow fever vaccination if only in transit. I hope someone who has passed through can advise.

Have you been there recently?

Stimpy--are you out there?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry I don't know about the transit visa. Have you tried calling the Nigerian embassy in whatever country you are in now? Maybe try the London embassy.

Do make sure that SAA issues you both boarding passes and that they are aware that you are transiting. Otherwise you might get stopped at the gate in JNB if you don't have a visa.

And I can say the two most important things to bring on any African travels are US dollars and a Yellow Fever certificate. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:07 pm

Thanks stimpy! I just spent some time rerouting- The Nigerian Consulate said that I do need a visa even for transit even tho the airlines say no- Best to avoid hassles- now routed JNB-MUC-IAD- Appreciate the help!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by naxos
Thanks stimpy! I just spent some time rerouting- The Nigerian Consulate said that I do need a visa even for transit even tho the airlines say no- Best to avoid hassles- now routed JNB-MUC-IAD- Appreciate the help!
Is this still true - need a visa for transit? Any update?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.