Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

FAs @ EI do not feel valued or respected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2001, 7:27 am
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...&issue_id=4099

AER Lingus senior management has acknowledged to its 1,300 cabin crew that they have not been "treated with respect" and that agreements made with staff have been broken by the airline.

The move is a desperate bid to ensure a majority of the IMPACT union members accept the amended Labour Court recommendation with voting closing tomorrow.

A study of the airline indicates that it is run like a military or civil service organisation according to senior managers and that women employees are disadvantaged in the State carrier.

The inferior position of women in the company, highlighted in a study of the airline three years ago, was one of the causes of last year's bitter dispute with cabin crew.

In a letter to cabin crew last week, the airline's chief operations officer Willie Walsh wrote that "cabin crew must be treated with respect and should feel valued. I am aware that there is a problem in this area and I am committed to addressing the issue".

Mr Walsh went on to state: "I acknowledge that the pressure on resources has led to agreements being broken". Details of the letter have been published this week by Industrial Relations News.

The contrite tone contrasts with a more robust approach adopted last year by the airline's personnel chief John Behan who is departing within a few weeks.

Cabin crew have been assured that Aer Lingus chief executive Michael Foley "has highlighted the importance of our people and our brand". This reflects the organisation study which noted that "the airline's brand image is not reflected in the allegedly male-dominated organisational culture".

IMPACT union delayed organising a ballot on pay rises of up to 19pc and more flexible rosters to allow for consultation meetings. The package has been recommended for acceptance by the union but airport sources expect a tight result.

The new offer provides for basic pay rates of up to £22,500, well short of the £28,000 top scale which the union had been seeking. The basic entry rate is being increased from £10,885 to £13,000 and all cabin crew wages will rise by at least £2,000 a year.

In a related agreement, the airline has agreed to offer early retirement and 80pc pensions to cabin crew aged 50. This is contingent on a new pension scheme being agreed by other airline and Aer Rianta staff and new legislation to privatise the airline.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 12:53 pm

This explains so much.

It explains why the last few times I flew with Aer Lingus the cabin crew were too busy talking and planning industrial action to do things for the passengers (like serve any tea /coffee - actually they just said that they didn't load any they were very sorry (they said this the time before also).

Aer Lingus is of course an airline run for the benefit of it's employees (certainly never for it's passengers)so this must be terrible news.

Of course I don't exactly see the staff running to Ryanair (thats an airline that expects hard work).

I hope privatisation happens soon because they certainly won't be around for much after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.