Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

EI - Aer Lingus to operate direct IAD-MAD service from 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: MUCCI
MOL: "I don't like aeroplanes. I never wanted to be a pilot like those other platoons of goons who populate the air industry."

Sometimes this guy makes me wonder if he places a bet with himself each day on how many people he can attack. It's quite easy to use your mouth, whether anything of any quality comes out is a different matter...
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by neilcorbett
who will earn miles on this service? EI & UA card holders I assume, but what about other *A member card holders? any thoughts?
*A sticks pretty rigidly to the "Operator awards the miles" rule, so I don't see any other *A programmes awarding anything for such a service, unless they are EI partners on a bi-lateral level. Not aware of anyone in that category.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:36 pm

The last flight taken on this route from Washington to Madrid had all bathrooms on the left side of the plane broken. This is just disgraceful as even Business Class passengers did not have a working restroom in their cabin even and they were paying top dollar for those seats. This airline is sending out broken planes that are not maintained properly.

Previous to this flight on this same route we experienced a vapor that came into the back cabin. This occurred just after take off after a ground mechanical delay over an engine which was experiencing problems with it's reverse thrusters and bleed air valves. Yet, they took the plane out anyway. Shortly, after take off the entire back cabin and crew began to experience back of the head spasms, upper respiratory problems, followed by severe nausea and uncontrolled violent regurgitations.

This occurred on the Aer Lingus aircraft with tail number DAA which flew the route during the exposure period from Dec 13th thru Jan 11th. It has since been taken off line and is now in Dublin for deep cleaning and repairs. The company is now under investigation with the FAA and the Irish Aviation Authority over this incident. Crew members have been undergoing blood testing and so far the first test results show atleast one so far with high toxic levels of carbon monoxide poisoning in the blood cells. TCP Tricresyl Phosphate testing results are still pending.

This information has been posted on other sites and the company has removed it as they are trying to cover up and suppress this information from getting out to the crew members and passengers who were on this aircraft during that period.

The type of exposure was very similar to the ones in the clips below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUc41uYoBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AzO-yn6g3I
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:20 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
United terminates EI operated IAD-MAD route

On WSJ:

United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) said it is dropping a controversial deal that saw Ireland's Aer Lingus Group PLC (EIL1.DB) operate a transatlantic flight on behalf of the U.S. airline, riling pilots who have been protesting about the outsourcing of flying.

Aer Lingus has flown between Madrid and Washington Dulles airport in Washington, D.C., on a trial basis for more than two years under what the airlines termed an "enhanced code share." A spokeswoman for the U.S. carrier Tuesday said it informed its Irish partner last week that the pact would end in October......
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:15 pm

Oh, oh... where's the airframe going now?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Why, to Abu Dhabi perhaps?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
I will run up and down the main street of my town, stark raving naked, wearing feathers in my hair, screaming blue murder, if EI reinstate the DUB-IAD/BWI route as a result of this

Just this morning, I've pulled the trigger on issuing non-refundable BA tickets DUB/LHR/BWI return for later this year. While all during the planning process I was lamenting the fact that EI no longer flew to Washington, for if they still did, I could have flown Premier Class, for not much more than I've paid for WTP with BA

Having exhausted, just about every convoluted scheme I could come up with to use EI to either JFK or BOS, I decided that due to logistical constraints, I really had no option but to fly BA to BWI & now I read this

Please, oh please Aer Lingus, don't do this to me

No-one wants to see me naked in High Street
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
I don't think you need worry on that front. I can see that route coming back over their dead bodies. It was a catastrophe first time out, and with United operating on it now, with a right-sized aircraft they're not going to throw into that ring again in a hurry.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:42 pm

I cannot think where EI might run this bird that might give it a better return than leaving it parked. Is it a 200 or a 300?

Return to lessor, perhaps? Or winter sun charter work? CPT is a dead market by now, I'd imagine. Malaga at the weekend? Give BA a run for their money on the morning LHR service?

Expect it will just end up in the mix, diluting the cost base. Mind you, with numbers and yield rising, it may just be the time for additional capacity to fight off all those pesky 757s!

Last edited by GoldCircle; Aug 3, 2012 at 4:04 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Iv heard suggestion elsewhere of DUB-SFO

cs
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:35 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Irish Times today:

.....Aer Lingus said the A330-200 aircraft would be used to supplement its routes from Dublin to Boston and Chicago.

It is also believed to have looked at the possibility of operating to Canada from Ireland but it has ruled out a service to the west coast of the United States.

A spokesman for Aer Lingus said: “We are happy to reintegrate the aircraft into our North American network,” he said...
Not sure that's an efficient way to utilize the aircraft.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Iv heard suggestion elsewhere of DUB-SFO
That rumour keeps coming back (see FT thread from last summer: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...est-coast.html ) but despite the success of EI's TATL services, I can't see them going back to the West Coast anytime soon.

Originally Posted by Irish Times
It is also believed to have looked at the possibility of operating to Canada from Ireland but it has ruled out a service to the west coast of the United States.
Their United/Jet Blue partnerships, if for no other reason, adequately serve most points in the US for EI passengers.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Time to dump UA as a partner, and return to the AA fold, especially in light of the AA - JetBlue merger rumors.

Hey, I can dream!!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I flow DUB-LAX and DUB-IAD on EI and both of those were great routes. BA frequent flyers would probably support anything that gives us more cheap redemptions on DUB-BOS, but I don't see the point in using the plane on it or DUB-ORD. DUB-AUH would be awesome, as would Canada.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Aer Lingus To Bolster U.S. Network With Additional Airbus A330-200

I guess this answers the question about what happens to this airframe?

(from Aviation Week)

Aer Lingus next year plans to add one more aircraft to its long-haul fleet, and will use the Airbus A330-200 on lease from United Airlines to add frequencies on routes from Dublin to Boston and Chicago.

The additional A330 will bring the airline’s long-haul fleet to 11 aircraft.

“Long-haul is performing extremely well,” Aer Lingus CEO Christoph Mueller tells Aviation Week. The carrier tries to limit connecting traffic to about 30% in order not to dilute yields, a strategy that works well, with a strong portion of capacity sold in the U.S.

Aer Lingus is evaluating its future fleet requirements, but no order decision is imminent. The airline is interested in using the Airbus A321NEO on transatlantic routes. With its lower capacity, the aircraft could enable the carrier to operate year-round services from Cork, Shannon and Belfast, Ireland, to New York, says Mueller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.