Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Must have your own bag under your own seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)

Empty middle seat from Cork into Heathrow this afternoon and stored my little rucksack happily under there out of everyone's way and blocking nobody, but was ordered to shift it under my own feet for landing by the older cabin crew (not the lead) down the back. Genuine question, never been an issue in all my years of flying, is this an Aer Lingus specific rule? Or Irish regulations? Never had it before with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. She was adamant and made the bloke two rows behind me shift his. Anyone know?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Empty middle seat from Cork into Heathrow this afternoon and stored my little rucksack happily under there out of everyone's way and blocking nobody, but was ordered to shift it under my own feet for landing by the older cabin crew (not the lead) down the back. Genuine question, never been an issue in all my years of flying, is this an Aer Lingus specific rule? Or Irish regulations? Never had it before with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. She was adamant and made the bloke two rows behind me shift his. Anyone know?
Just thinking that it could be so that you stop the bag from getting thrown about in cases of serious turbulence by being directly in front of it blocking it from escaping. I usually put everything in the overhead cabin, and if I have a small bag down with me I do tend to have that in front of me underneath the seat in front. I don't see the problem with adhering to the instruction?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:27 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Aer Lingus SOP is unoccupied seats must be completely free of any items including the under seat area
alserire, CallBell and skipness1E like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
Aer Lingus SOP is unoccupied seats must be completely free of any items including the under seat area
If there's a free middle seat I always put my backpack under it. I've never been asked to move it or seen anyone else being asked, either on Aer Lingus or other airlines.
Harper50505, DELLAS and irishguy28 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by VG31
If there's a free middle seat I always put my backpack under it. I've never been asked to move it or seen anyone else being asked, either on Aer Lingus or other airlines.
Im the same on my flights where Im not in Aerspace . A lot of the time Im lucky to get middle row free and always place my bag under the middle seat. I have never been asked to remove it in over 25 years .
irishguy28 and mailliW like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Possibly a silly question. But why not put it in the overhead locker??? That’s what I always do. Don’t want my bag at my feet. Or even beside my feet 😂
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by alserire
Possibly a silly question. But why not put it in the overhead locker??? That’s what I always do. Don’t want my bag at my feet. Or even beside my feet 😂
During the flight I like to get things out of my bag and not have to get up and disturb the person in the aisle seat . Its just handier.
mailliW, irishguy28 and VG31 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by alserire
Originally Posted by DELLAS
During the flight I like to get things out of my bag and not have to get up and disturb the person in the aisle seat . Its just handier.
​​​​​​
And sometimes you might have something edible, crushable or otherwise delicate that you don't want to find has been holding up the weight of somebody else's items plonked on top of it when you arrive at your destination....particularly if you're in the window seat, it's impossible to keep an eye on the "state" of your carry-on in the locker above you
DELLAS likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Fair enough. I’m always aisle so that didn’t occur to me!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:39 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
I have been asked on a number of occasions to move my under seat bag from the free seat space to under mine

So I ensure the bag is correctly stowed if during take off/landing phase
alserire likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
​​​​​​
And sometimes you might have something edible, crushable or otherwise delicate that you don't want to find has been holding up the weight of somebody else's items plonked on top of it when you arrive at your destination....particularly if you're in the window seat, it's impossible to keep an eye on the "state" of your carry-on in the locker above you
Exactly that . I have seen people put their bag in then someone comes and slams their hard shell cabin case in and anything fragile would be smashed.

In an ideal world we would always have those solo seats on the 321NEO with that mini compartment that you can put your small bag in . Until such time under middle seat it is

Of course if I was ever asked to put it under my seat I would and then move it after take off.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Makes perfect sense, she was doing her job in that case.
You live and learn.
alserire and Arctic Troll like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.