Wiki Posts
Search

IAD - DUB canceled tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM
IAD - DUB canceled tomorrow

Late flight canceled, utterly incompetent phone rep couldn't find me a viable alternate route. Managed to find one on FF on another airline myself and just canceled the outbound with a competent rep. Apparently I don't get reimbursed the first leg until travel complete - does anyone have experience with this and is it a hassle?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:35 am

You will have to submit an online claim and upload the supporting documents .

Where you not offered and alternative via somewhere ?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Where you not offered and alternative via somewhere ?
I'm also curious what the non-viable proposal offered was. There's availability on today's EI flights from BOS, EWR and JFK and it should have been relatively easy for them to add a sector on another carrier to get the OP there from IAD/DCA. If Philly was an option, there's availability on today's EI flight

EI118 has been cancelled on both 19 & 20 March
DELLAS and NotHamSarnie like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 20, 2024 at 8:22 am
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:13 am

I was supposed to be on EI118 last night. Had a confirmed J upgrade with Avios. Initially automatically rebooked on Virgin VS022 IAD-LHR and BA836 LHR-DUB which would have required a landside change from T3 to T5 at LHR and get me in to DUB at 3 pm, after the business meetings I was flying in for.

At IAD the supervisor protected me onto UA228 IAD-DUB to get me in only about an hour late - but in the last, no-recline row of economy, in front of an absolutely fragrant lav, on an ancient United 757 with small overhead bins that were blocked with equipment and crew bags over the last 5 or 6 rows. The UA crew was lovely, but it was definitely the least comfortable flight I've taken in at least a decade.

The supervisor told me to request the Avios be refunded since they're the ones that cancelled the flight. I've requested that and will report back here what happens...

Edit: oh, and check-in for my onward flight (DUB is a stopover on this itinerary) now no longer shows me as eligible for a carry-on bag (despite being a transatlantic itinerary)... but still shows me as eligible for 3 checked bags in addition to the "10kg bag dropped off at check-in." So that's nice.
irishguy28 and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The check in desk at DUB can sort the last bit no hassle.
irishguy28 and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I had a J seat and wanted a lie-flat across the water. I was offered the BOS flight but it's not lie-flat and I needed to arrive rested in DUB. The idea of having paid J and booking EI to get the direct flight on a lie-flat was sticking in my craw. I was also offered a flight through London with a 12-hour connection (!). Honestly I think the problem was I had a terrible rep who couldn't speak English. As I was talking to him I was also looking for alternatives on other airlines - which I asked him to do and he said he couldn't get me anything. I asked to speak to his supervisor but couldn't get anywhere. I could have hung up and tried another rep but it was the US number (I can't dial Ireland from my phone) and I have a feeling that line is all outsourced so I'm now sure how much better I could have done with another rep. I found a really cheap (in miles) AA flight and went for that on my own - I had a connection but not too dreadful and I got to try the new (for me) 787 cabin. I come out of this really well financially providing my refund is processed reasonably. Great idea to try the DUB desk for the refund rather than relying on the phone line, thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by terrier
I was supposed to be on EI118 last night. Had a confirmed J upgrade with Avios. Initially automatically rebooked on Virgin VS022 IAD-LHR and BA836 LHR-DUB which would have required a landside change from T3 to T5 at LHR and get me in to DUB at 3 pm, after the business meetings I was flying in for.

At IAD the supervisor protected me onto UA228 IAD-DUB to get me in only about an hour late - but in the last, no-recline row of economy, in front of an absolutely fragrant lav, on an ancient United 757 with small overhead bins that were blocked with equipment and crew bags over the last 5 or 6 rows. The UA crew was lovely, but it was definitely the least comfortable flight I've taken in at least a decade.

The supervisor told me to request the Avios be refunded since they're the ones that cancelled the flight. I've requested that and will report back here what happens...

Edit: oh, and check-in for my onward flight (DUB is a stopover on this itinerary) now no longer shows me as eligible for a carry-on bag (despite being a transatlantic itinerary)... but still shows me as eligible for 3 checked bags in addition to the "10kg bag dropped off at check-in." So that's nice.
It's weird they did not rebook me automatically - I assumed that is what would have happened.
I got the email saying the flight was canceled and that somebody would contact me by SMS and/or I'd get rebooked automatically.
Then I got the email saying they couldn't find anything to rebook me.
I have no status with EI, perhaps that is why my rebooking didn't have priority?
Good luck with your refund!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:28 am

Well, that was fast.

I requested a refund of my Avios by replying to the email from [email protected] with the same case number on the subject line as my original upgrade request last night.

An agent replied this morning with an apology and re-credited the Avios to my account.

When I logged in to confirm the Avios were back (they were), I also noted that tomorrow's onward segment now shows "No seat, 10kg carry-on bag with priority boarding, 23kg in 3 Checked Bag(s)" which is funny, because I was allocated seat 8C yesterday when I checked in online. But being already checked in, I can no longer check in again and get another seat allocation. Looking forward to seeing what's on the boarding card when I get to the airport.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
It's weird they did not rebook me automatically - I assumed that is what would have happened.
I got the email saying the flight was canceled and that somebody would contact me by SMS and/or I'd get rebooked automatically.
Then I got the email saying they couldn't find anything to rebook me.
I have no status with EI, perhaps that is why my rebooking didn't have priority?
Good luck with your refund!
I have no status with EI, but I was booked through my corporate travel agency. I've had it happen a few times now that I get proactively rebooked in IROPs when on business bookings with multiple airlines (regardless of status) compared to the lackadaisy when I've booked myself directly with the airline. (The airlines have the travel agent's IATA number on the PNR which is how they know it's business travel.)
NotHamSarnie likes this.

Last edited by terrier; Mar 22, 2024 at 3:42 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I had a J seat and wanted a lie-flat across the water. I was offered the BOS flight but it's not lie-flat and I needed to arrive rested in DUB. The idea of having paid J and booking EI to get the direct flight on a lie-flat was sticking in my craw. I was also offered a flight through London with a 12-hour connection (!). Honestly I think the problem was I had a terrible rep who couldn't speak English. As I was talking to him I was also looking for alternatives on other airlines - which I asked him to do and he said he couldn't get me anything. I asked to speak to his supervisor but couldn't get anywhere. I could have hung up and tried another rep but it was the US number (I can't dial Ireland from my phone) and I have a feeling that line is all outsourced so I'm now sure how much better I could have done with another rep. I found a really cheap (in miles) AA flight and went for that on my own - I had a connection but not too dreadful and I got to try the new (for me) 787 cabin. I come out of this really well financially providing my refund is processed reasonably. Great idea to try the DUB desk for the refund rather than relying on the phone line, thanks.
The IAD station is pretty awful at customer service in my experience, whether its because they're not empowered or just simply don't care, its been a consistent theme in my flying from there. So caveat emptor if you're flying Avios J with them, if there's an inoperable seat/overbooking/cancelation they won't help you.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
The IAD station is pretty awful at customer service in my experience, whether its because they're not empowered or just simply don't care, its been a consistent theme in my flying from there. So caveat emptor if you're flying Avios J with them, if there's an inoperable seat/overbooking/cancelation they won't help you.
I didn't make it to IAD - I called their US line and spoke to an agent. It was paid J so you'd imagine they might make a bit of an effort - it's unlikely they'll be my first choice anymore given what happened here. I really like the direct flight but the US airlines on which I have status always rebook me proactively even if it's something I end up changing.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Update on my situation:
After the outbound IAD - DUB was canceled at 30 hours notice for "operational reasons" and EI was unable to rebook me with a suitable alterntive, I booked the outbound on another airline with miles (phew) and got there on time but with a connection.
I kept the EI return & flew back to IAD without issue.
I filed a form for refund of the canceled flight - and EI assures me that is on the way.
I also filed for EU261 compensation on the EI site and will be seeing EU600 to my CC in the coming week.
EI were swift in resolving both claims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.