Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bid to Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Bid to Upgrade

I bid for an upgrade on a flight from CLE to DUB on 22 Nov 2023. I received notification of a "pending" charge on my credit card reflecting the amount of the upgrade for 2 seats. I do not see the upgrade reflected in the Aer Lingus reservation system online, so I called customer support and they could not see it on their end either. They gave me an email address to direct my questions to, [email protected], but my email bounced back. I used FB messenger to talk to someone at Aer Lingus about my concern, but they were unable to tell me anything either, and simply repeated the directive to email the account that gave me the message: Recipient address rejected: Access denied."

Any advice at this point, or should I just wait until check-in? Will I be able to handle this at online check-in (at 24 hours out) or will it need to be addressed at the airport? Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:09 am

Try [email protected]

I know from experience with concierge upgrades that there can be a delay in re issuing booking confirmation once the upgrade has cleared
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Update! I guess I just have to be more patient. The upgrade did clear, however, I still cannot select seats until check-in, I suppose.
mailliW and irishguy28 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I do wish I could access my trip details on the EI app, but since it is a "mulit-city" booking, I guess I can't. I don't think I will even be able to check in using the app (or even online?) either. I also called EI to get seat assignments, and after a very thorough interrogation for security purposes lasting several minutes (I'm surprised they didn't ask me my blood type and mother's maiden name, too), and then being put on hold for another couple of minutes to check with a supervisor, I assume, the nice agent said seats are now under control of the airport, so I will have to wait until I get there to get my seats. It seems EI technology needs some refinement.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by guy44134
I do wish I could access my trip details on the EI app, but since it is a "mulit-city" booking, I guess I can't. I don't think I will even be able to check in using the app (or even online?) either. I also called EI to get seat assignments, and after a very thorough interrogation for security purposes lasting several minutes (I'm surprised they didn't ask me my blood type and mother's maiden name, too), and then being put on hold for another couple of minutes to check with a supervisor, I assume, the nice agent said seats are now under control of the airport, so I will have to wait until I get there to get my seats. It seems EI technology needs some refinement.

For some reason you cannot check in via the app for multi city bookings. Rather annoying.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
It is possible to assign seats while under airport control, I've had it done many many times

Its called a seat edit and while it will not appear online if you check in and choose automatic allocation it works just fine...
guy44134 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
It is possible to assign seats while under airport control, I've had it done many many times

Its called a seat edit and while it will not appear online if you check in and choose automatic allocation it works just fine...
Is this only done at the airport or at online check-in in advance, and is it possible with a multi-city reservation? Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
The procedure requires an agent who knows what they are doing and is possible on all ticket types and itineraries.

Once applied you check in as normal either on the website or at airport. It is possible to check in via the app but NOT if its a multi city booking
guy44134 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:07 am
Original Poster

I was able to check in online (not on the app) and select 2 "throne" seats in Business Class. Of course, I got a new passport since making the reservation, and had to call EI yet again for the agent to update this information before I could complete the check-in process. At least it worked out in the end. I guess EI does not participate in TSA Precheck, which kind of sucks, but oh well. Looking forward to trying the premium service tonight.
mailliW likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by guy44134
I guess EI does not participate in TSA Precheck, which kind of sucks, but oh well.
Not as much as Irish passport holders who aren’t permanent residents not being eligible for Global Entry! Which is presumably the reason EI doesn’t participate in Precheck.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
That's more of a DHS/INIB issue than its anything to do with EI re GE/Pre.

I imagine EI don't participate in Pre due to a combination of cost to implement & the work they'd likely have to do around data compliance from an EU perspective. I doubt it has any material impact on bookings.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
That's more of a DHS/INIB issue than its anything to do with EI re GE/Pre.

I imagine EI don't participate in Pre due to a combination of cost to implement & the work they'd likely have to do around data compliance from an EU perspective. I doubt it has any material impact on bookings.
As a US citizen with regular travel to DUB going out of IAD I avoided EI for years owing to the lack of PreCheck and instead took DL from DCA with a bounce in JFK - quicker and less uncertain than transit to IAD + possible long lines at IAD without PreCheck. The Silver Line metro to IAD makes it more of a 50-50 proposition (removing the uncertainty in transit time to IAD but still dealing with lines there).
Old Dec 1, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
You're taking a connecting flight over an incremental ~20 minutes or so time in line for the corresponding direct flight?

That's a helluva a hill to die on.

I'm DC based too doing WAS-DUB about 4-6 times a year and think its absolutely incredulous you think involving JFK in the mix speeds things up in any way.
RMDrive and FlightDetective like this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
You're taking a connecting flight over an incremental ~20 minutes or so time in line for the corresponding direct flight?

That's a helluva a hill to die on.

I'm DC based too doing WAS-DUB about 4-6 times a year and think its absolutely incredulous you think involving JFK in the mix speeds things up in any way.
It was actually quicker through JFK. I don't have a car and it takes 15 min from work to DCA including walk to metro, then a couple of minutes through CLEAR / PreCheck. Getting to IAD was REALLY slow (still is with the Silver Line but at least predictable). With uncertainties in transit and the length of lines through security, I would have to leave too much of a cushion.

Two things changed: the frequency of DL flights to JFK lessened resulting in a longer layover there, and the Silver Line extension completed meaning I know when I'm going to arrive at IAD.

So I've done the EI a couple of times now and the security lines aren't actually as bad as I thought - well, with CLEAR anyway, even without PreCheck. But yeah, it was a real deterrent for me for years.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

From an article about the new CLE-DUB service: "Aer Lingus reportedly has applied to join the program, although a spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration declined to confirm the application. (“We don’t disclose any information about airlines joining the PreCheck program until they are approved partners,” she said.)"
https://www.cleveland.com/travel/202...ould-work.html

I did miss having access to PreCheck, but it would not be a deal breaker for me.
NotHamSarnie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.