Bid to Upgrade

Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
Bid to Upgrade

I bid for an upgrade on a flight from CLE to DUB on 22 Nov 2023. I received notification of a "pending" charge on my credit card reflecting the amount of the upgrade for 2 seats. I do not see the upgrade reflected in the Aer Lingus reservation system online, so I called customer support and they could not see it on their end either. They gave me an email address to direct my questions to, [email protected], but my email bounced back. I used FB messenger to talk to someone at Aer Lingus about my concern, but they were unable to tell me anything either, and simply repeated the directive to email the account that gave me the message: Recipient address rejected: Access denied."

Any advice at this point, or should I just wait until check-in? Will I be able to handle this at online check-in (at 24 hours out) or will it need to be addressed at the airport? Thanks.
guy44134 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:09 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 217
Try [email protected]

I know from experience with concierge upgrades that there can be a delay in re issuing booking confirmation once the upgrade has cleared
mailliW is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:17 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
Update! I guess I just have to be more patient. The upgrade did clear, however, I still cannot select seats until check-in, I suppose.
mailliW and irishguy28 like this.
guy44134 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:52 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
I do wish I could access my trip details on the EI app, but since it is a "mulit-city" booking, I guess I can't. I don't think I will even be able to check in using the app (or even online?) either. I also called EI to get seat assignments, and after a very thorough interrogation for security purposes lasting several minutes (I'm surprised they didn't ask me my blood type and mother's maiden name, too), and then being put on hold for another couple of minutes to check with a supervisor, I assume, the nice agent said seats are now under control of the airport, so I will have to wait until I get there to get my seats. It seems EI technology needs some refinement.
guy44134 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Posts: 877
Originally Posted by guy44134
I do wish I could access my trip details on the EI app, but since it is a "mulit-city" booking, I guess I can't. I don't think I will even be able to check in using the app (or even online?) either. I also called EI to get seat assignments, and after a very thorough interrogation for security purposes lasting several minutes (I'm surprised they didn't ask me my blood type and mother's maiden name, too), and then being put on hold for another couple of minutes to check with a supervisor, I assume, the nice agent said seats are now under control of the airport, so I will have to wait until I get there to get my seats. It seems EI technology needs some refinement.

For some reason you cannot check in via the app for multi city bookings. Rather annoying.
guy44134 likes this.
alserire is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2023, 10:34 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: EIDW
Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,908
It is possible to assign seats while under airport control, I've had it done many many times

Its called a seat edit and while it will not appear online if you check in and choose automatic allocation it works just fine...
guy44134 likes this.
ROKNA is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2023, 10:40 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by ROKNA
It is possible to assign seats while under airport control, I've had it done many many times

Its called a seat edit and while it will not appear online if you check in and choose automatic allocation it works just fine...
Is this only done at the airport or at online check-in in advance, and is it possible with a multi-city reservation? Thanks!
guy44134 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:16 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: EIDW
Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,908
The procedure requires an agent who knows what they are doing and is possible on all ticket types and itineraries.

Once applied you check in as normal either on the website or at airport. It is possible to check in via the app but NOT if its a multi city booking
guy44134 likes this.
ROKNA is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:07 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
I was able to check in online (not on the app) and select 2 "throne" seats in Business Class. Of course, I got a new passport since making the reservation, and had to call EI yet again for the agent to update this information before I could complete the check-in process. At least it worked out in the end. I guess EI does not participate in TSA Precheck, which kind of sucks, but oh well. Looking forward to trying the premium service tonight.
mailliW likes this.
guy44134 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:15 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,785
Originally Posted by guy44134
I guess EI does not participate in TSA Precheck, which kind of sucks, but oh well.
Not as much as Irish passport holders who arent permanent residents not being eligible for Global Entry! Which is presumably the reason EI doesnt participate in Precheck.
irishguy28 likes this.
Kgmm77 is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2023, 11:00 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: $9 Fare Club
Posts: 1,446
That's more of a DHS/INIB issue than its anything to do with EI re GE/Pre.

I imagine EI don't participate in Pre due to a combination of cost to implement & the work they'd likely have to do around data compliance from an EU perspective. I doubt it has any material impact on bookings.
irishguy28 likes this.
ChurnieEls is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:56 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL DM PM
Posts: 2,025
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
That's more of a DHS/INIB issue than its anything to do with EI re GE/Pre.

I imagine EI don't participate in Pre due to a combination of cost to implement & the work they'd likely have to do around data compliance from an EU perspective. I doubt it has any material impact on bookings.
As a US citizen with regular travel to DUB going out of IAD I avoided EI for years owing to the lack of PreCheck and instead took DL from DCA with a bounce in JFK - quicker and less uncertain than transit to IAD + possible long lines at IAD without PreCheck. The Silver Line metro to IAD makes it more of a 50-50 proposition (removing the uncertainty in transit time to IAD but still dealing with lines there).
NotHamSarnie is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:00 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: $9 Fare Club
Posts: 1,446
You're taking a connecting flight over an incremental ~20 minutes or so time in line for the corresponding direct flight?

That's a helluva a hill to die on.

I'm DC based too doing WAS-DUB about 4-6 times a year and think its absolutely incredulous you think involving JFK in the mix speeds things up in any way.
RMDrive and FlightDetective like this.
ChurnieEls is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:39 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL DM PM
Posts: 2,025
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
You're taking a connecting flight over an incremental ~20 minutes or so time in line for the corresponding direct flight?

That's a helluva a hill to die on.

I'm DC based too doing WAS-DUB about 4-6 times a year and think its absolutely incredulous you think involving JFK in the mix speeds things up in any way.
It was actually quicker through JFK. I don't have a car and it takes 15 min from work to DCA including walk to metro, then a couple of minutes through CLEAR / PreCheck. Getting to IAD was REALLY slow (still is with the Silver Line but at least predictable). With uncertainties in transit and the length of lines through security, I would have to leave too much of a cushion.

Two things changed: the frequency of DL flights to JFK lessened resulting in a longer layover there, and the Silver Line extension completed meaning I know when I'm going to arrive at IAD.

So I've done the EI a couple of times now and the security lines aren't actually as bad as I thought - well, with CLEAR anyway, even without PreCheck. But yeah, it was a real deterrent for me for years.
NotHamSarnie is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:28 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 767
From an article about the new CLE-DUB service: "Aer Lingus reportedly has applied to join the program, although a spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration declined to confirm the application. (“We don’t disclose any information about airlines joining the PreCheck program until they are approved partners,” she said.)"
https://www.cleveland.com/travel/202...ould-work.html


I did miss having access to PreCheck, but it would not be a deal breaker for me.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
guy44134 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.