Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOI Credit card reward flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

BOI Credit card reward flights

I have a BOI Aer Lingus card and one of the perks is 2 “free” flights. 15 days ago I emailed to redeem them & got an automated reply saying they’d come back in “up to 3 days” & got a case number.

Despite me sending them a number of follow up emails I’ve still heard nothing. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I have a BOI Aer Lingus card and one of the perks is 2 “free” flights. 15 days ago I emailed to redeem them & got an automated reply saying they’d come back in “up to 3 days” & got a case number.

Despite me sending them a number of follow up emails I’ve still heard nothing. Any suggestions?
They threaten you that every time you email you get put to the back of the queue.

It’s a painful non-transparent process with half the year blocked out for use. Then you get stiffed with premium ‘telephone’ rates for checked bags as they treat it like an agency booking so you can’t manage it online.

I plan to complain to BoI (again).
andymcdonnell and Harper50505 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC

I assume you have access to Avios.com and therefore you have checked and confirmed availability for the dates you have requested? Personally I'd just hold my nerves and wait for them to process your request.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MM00LL2
I assume you have access to Avios.com and therefore you have checked and confirmed availability for the dates you have requested? Personally I'd just hold my nerves and wait for them to process your request.
Yeah I checked when I first contacted them and again earlier this week but my fear is when they EVENTUALLY reply that I’ll be told there’s no seats left
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by MM00LL2
The BoI reward doesn’t necessarily come out of the same fare bucket as Avios awards and is subject to different restrictions. I’ve had flight requests declined where Avios seats were available and flights approved where no Avios seats were available.

My understanding is the seats are individually approved for release by revenue management.
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
The last response I got from this crowd was definitely trying to manage my expectations after several unsuccessful attempts at booking.

Long story short, unless you’re booking months in advance, it’s a waste of time.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:39 am

After ripping them on here, I submitted a request on Sunday night, got the “we’ve received your request” email on Weds and got confirmation the flights are being held for payment of taxes this morning.

andymcdonnell not sure on that basis what happened in your case? When you said you emailed in, did you use the web form on the Aer Credit Card site? This now has blackout dates and I think non-available flights filtered out for the first time (certainly new since last year), which makes the process a bit easier.
mccartje likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
After ripping them on here, I submitted a request on Sunday night, got the “we’ve received your request” email on Weds and got confirmation the flights are being held for payment of taxes this morning.

andymcdonnell not sure on that basis what happened in your case? When you said you emailed in, did you use the web form on the Aer Credit Card site? This now has blackout dates and I think non-available flights filtered out for the first time (certainly new since last year), which makes the process a bit easier.
So I got an email on Wednesday (17 days after I submitted the web form) saying they’d received my request & “aim to come back to me in 5 working days”. So in short, 19 days after I submitted the web form I’m still flightless
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:44 am

So I got an email on Wednesday (17 days after I submitted the web form) saying they’d received my request & “aim to come back to me in 5 working days”. So in short, 19 days after I submitted the web form I’m still flightless
Sounds like the one person dealing with them was on 3 weeks holiday!!
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EI AerClub Green
I too submitted a request for 2 flights last week and did receive the "Your flight details have been sent for the approval of the relevant team. We will let you know if this has been approved within the next 3 days" response two days later. That was 8 days ago and have heard nothing since. Have the card since 2019, and previous years the confirmation always came back in less than 3 days.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 6:07 am

Just coming back on this. I got confirmation that the 2 flights were approved yesterday. So for anyone wondering how long this process is taking, for me it was 12 days since I submitted the request.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 3:33 pm

I booked one flight with BOI Aer Lingus credit card so far, request was sent 13 August booking was confirmed 24, but thinking back I actually think I called them because I was waiting so long as well and they helped me book it over the phone. My recommendation is to give them a call!

Now in all fairness I have 5 flights open between 18 and 27 November where I did not get tier credit and Avios, support ticket created more then a week still no reply. So they don't seem that good following up on cases. Aer Lingus announced they would use Salesforce Service Cloud... Let's hope it improves these things.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:26 pm

What would be the best redemptions of the "free flights" from Dublin?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by oscarmac
What would be the best redemptions of the "free flights" from Dublin?
Given large swathes of blackout dates for every holiday period, six nations away game etc. and the restrictions that only one voucher can be used per flight it can be tough to get value as you can end up using it on a flight where you’d be better just paying cash. Particularly if you have status.

I’ve found value the last couple of years with Lanzarote, Lisbon and Faro (and you could include Malaga and other Canary Islands). Flights are frequent but relatively high priced year round due to the retirees scooting back and forward.
oscarmac likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Given large swathes of blackout dates for every holiday period, six nations away game etc. and the restrictions that only one voucher can be used per flight it can be tough to get value as you can end up using it on a flight where you’d be better just paying cash. Particularly if you have status.

I’ve found value the last couple of years with Lanzarote, Lisbon and Faro (and you could include Malaga and other Canary Islands). Flights are frequent but relatively high priced year round due to the retirees scooting back and forward.
Yes I agree with destinations. Unlike Avios redemptions, you can get the same free flights on any eligible route. So the most value would be gained from the most expensive flights less taxes and charges. So for example, the first time I used them was for two passengers to Lanzerote in November 2019. I checked the cost of the fare in cash the week before travel and for two people it was just over €1,000 although it would have been a bit less than that when I booked it. For next year, I booked return flights for two to Palma, Majorca in August which is currently just under €800 in total for equivalent fare.
oscarmac likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.