Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus possibly fully joining Oneworld in Q2 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus possibly fully joining Oneworld in Q2 2025

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
There's also the fact that EI serves almost twice as many UK airports from Dublin as BA does from LHR, so it's either drive to Heathrow or fly to Dublin (or Amsterdam! KLM get a lot of connecting traffic from the UK too!) for a lot of those UK regions....
Makes you think that *British* Airways should not be “British” in name only. After all, it is not *London* Airways.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 12:37 am

Interesting to see that at the IAG Markets day, they are looking to achieve consistent elite tiers and cross airline recognition.

Perhaps that's a hint on AL returning to oneworld soon.

The consistency on elite tiers may be a great bonus for plat or concierge or a potential downgrade if the manner on how it is earned replicates BA.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:17 am

Why would replicateing BA be bad for platinum silver is very easy to earn. Concierge would get harder as the requirements for gold is higher.

Last edited by Irishtraveler; Nov 28, 2023 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Irishtraveler
Why would replicateing BA be bad for platinum silver is very easy to earn. Concierge would get harder as the requirements for gold is higher.
If you take regular trips from Dublin to London as an example of earning platinum with AL at 601 points. Silver equivalent with BA is 600 points

An Advantage fair with AL earns 40 tier points whereas the equivalent flex ticket with BA earns 20 tier points

An Aer Space fair with AL earns 50 tier points whereas the equivalent Club Europe ticket with BA earns 40 tier points

So the amount of flights required to earn Plat with AL under a BA earning model would be more or effectively more expensive to earn that status.
alserire likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:44 am

I expect you are correct that on a standalone basis EI status may be harder to achieve, but this ignores the current incompatibility of most flights in the respective IAG schemes. As a consequence I bump around Silver individually in both EI & BA FFPs, as I have almost no flights where I have a choice of what scheme to credit to.

For those who regularly fly other IAG airlines this could be a big potential benefit (although it would be hard to see it being possible without EI rejoining OneWorld).
EuropeanPete and irishguy28 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
ignores the current incompatibility of most flights in the respective IAG schemes. As a consequence I bump around Silver individually in both EI & BA FFPs, as I have almost no flights where I have a choice of what scheme to credit to.
^This, a thousand times.

It's also why (together with KL starting their own flights to DUB and then to ORK) I have almost completely abandoned EI, and totally abandoned BA (still working on getting rid of my Avios balance).

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 28, 2023 at 5:17 am
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:22 am
soy

Programs: various
A day late and a dollar short, but a small step in the right direction - Blogs reporting that American AAdvantage and Aer Lingus AerClub have finally added reciprocal mileage earning opportunities

More here, https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...s-partnership/
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while Aer Lingus has been added as an earning partner on the AAdvantage site, starting today, there is still no mention of AA being an AerClub partner over on the EI/Aer Club website...

(And, in case it's not been noticed round these parts, we already know who will be the next oneworld member; no, I'm not talking about Oman Airways who were already on course for a 2024 entry; it's Hawaiian Airlines (via their acquisition by Alaska Airlines))
Attached Images  
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:43 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by irishguy28
while Aer Lingus has been added as an earning partner on the AAdvantage site, starting today, there is still no mention of AA being an AerClub partner over on the EI/Aer Club website...
Good catch, I foolishly did not take time to look closely at the details. So basically 2 years after joining the JV, you are still better off flying UA than AA if you want to earn in AerClub.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by soy
Good catch, I foolishly did not take time to look closely at the details. So basically 2 years after joining the JV, you are still better off flying UA than AA if you want to earn in AerClub.
Isn't the UA partnership coming to an end soon?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Harper50505
Isn't the UA partnership coming to an end soon?
Only the codesharing (which has already ended); both airlines still remain mileage-earning partners.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:58 am

Programs: AerClub Concierge, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor ALL Silver, NH Platinum
With the various recent changes/updates happening, is this now seeming a little more likely or possible or is it all coincidence?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Pete_23567
With the various recent changes/updates happening, is this now seeming a little more likely or possible or is it all coincidence?
Qatar Airways and Aer Lingus launch new codeshare partnership... I think so
Old Yesterday, 3:53 pm

Programs: AerClub
EI currently have a live role on the website. “Loyalty Air Partner Manager” interesting job spec!

https://aerlingus-career.talent-soft...ager_1241.aspx
NotHamSarnie and RMDrive like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.