Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus possibly fully joining Oneworld in Q2 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus possibly fully joining Oneworld in Q2 2025

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: AerClub Concierge, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor ALL Silver, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Well they could do what SK have done its a decent Y+ NB product.
SAS plus a321 cabin style would be interesting on EI - I wonder what they would charge to JFK for example - are you going to end up paying €1200 for Y+ instead of the €1750 for business or perhaps much better value of 7 or €800?

Would we see Aerspace convert to a more J-like product?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
AA and AS are on Sabre. Everyone else in oneworld is on Amadeus. There are no other GDS hosts used by oneworld carriers.
Well, not quite: IB has it’s own system called Resiber. And they will stay on this, since it is much more economical, more stable and offers good functionality. Initially, there was a plan to move to Amadeus, but I understand that this plan has been abandoned. I wonder if EI might even consider moving to Resiber, given it’s strengths?
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Well, not quite: IB has it’s own system called Resiber. And they will stay on this, since it is much more economical, more stable and offers good functionality. Initially, there was a plan to move to Amadeus, but I understand that this plan has been abandoned. I wonder if EI might even consider moving to Resiber, given it’s strengths?
Sounds exactly why Aer Lingus have kept Astral, the financial and stability reasons.

It seems that Astral just needs a little investment to update it to do some of the things other reservations systems do. It's an interesting thought to have EI move to the IB system, though I suppose if Astral were updated, you could argue for the opposite, to have IB move to EI... or why not all of IAG to one of the two and keep it all in-house. Stranger things have happened!

It also looks like this company - https://www.a-ice.aero/a-dcs-enables...beria-flights/ - added something to Resiber to allow check-in of connecting flights and what not. No reason why EI couldn't buy this and have it added to Astral.

Thanks for the info though, I had no idea IB had their own system.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I wonder if EI might even consider moving to Resiber, given it’s strengths?
I would find that very unlikely

If EI continues to shun the "main" global reservation systems and wants to stick to an airline-specific proprietary system, then the simplest is to just stick with their current ASTRAL system, which was developed in-house and which they know intimately.

Moving to Resiber would also bring additional uncertainties as compared to moving to, say, SABRE or Amadeus. If and when Iberia decided to ditch Resiber, Aer Lingus would then have to undergo a second costly transition.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 4:50 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Yes, IB has its internal system just like BA did many years ago, but that's purely internal. Amadeus handles IB's interline and inter-system communication, and IB issues all travellers an Amadeus record locator. When AA (Sabre) books an IB segment, it is talking with Amadeus, who then passes the message to Resiber, not to Resiber directly.

Departure control system and interline check-in is a different matter, I agree.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 7:45 pm
soy

Programs: various
If EI stay on ASTRAL they will never have the functionality that modern airline systems offer. Sure it does the basics well, but its almost certainly crazy expensive to modify it to do the things other airlines software can do. On the other hand I suspect there are cyber security advantages in the fact that its such a niche system.

Absolutely no sense at all for EI to adopt Resiber. My limited experience with IB online tools leave a lot to be desired.
irishguy28 and Harper50505 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
On the other hand I suspect there are cyber security advantages in the fact that its such a niche system.
Exactly!

The only way to get a virus into the system is by punch card

FlightDetective, DELLAS and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:17 pm

So presume just was all just indeed another baseless rumour? Months and years pass seemingly pass and Aer Lingus is no closer to joining the Transatlantic JV properly never mind oneworld? Lol!

Anybody else have any more intel?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
EI is owned by IAG which is a publicly traded company. Any decision to join OneWorld is not going to be announced ahead of time. Anyone aware of such insider knowledge would likely not publicize it (insider trading, anyone?).
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by destone
EI is owned by IAG which is a publicly traded company. Any decision to join OneWorld is not going to be announced ahead of time. Anyone aware of such insider knowledge would likely not publicize it (insider trading, anyone?).
I really don't think a oneworld announcement is going to materially impact the share price
DELLAS, Kgmm77, irishguy28 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just wondering in which direction the share price would be expected to move when the jaw-dropping news that an airline owned by a oneworld stalwart, that same airline having already been cleared by competition authorities on both sides of the Atlantic to participate in the oneworld transatlantic joint business, is actually joining oneworld is released to a stunned global audience 😄
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm just wondering in which direction the share price would be expected to move when the jaw-dropping news that an airline owned by a oneworld stalwart, that same airline having already been cleared by competition authorities on both sides of the Atlantic to participate in the oneworld transatlantic joint business, is actually joining oneworld is released to a stunned global audience 😄
Indeed - to create headine news, EI will have to join either *A or ST.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: AerClub Concierge, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor ALL Silver, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by Harper50505
Indeed - to create headine news, EI will have to join either *A or ST.
Would be class if they joined *A
Old Jul 31, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by destone
Not even remotely close to being MNPI
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From this morning's Indo

I must have missed the memo

[Also: I haven't see the U in "Qantas" for a while!!!]
Attached Images  
FlightDetective and Kgmm77 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.