Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus possibly fully joining Oneworld in Q2 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus possibly fully joining Oneworld in Q2 2025

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2023, 3:38 pm

What I understood from the tweet is that the changes needed to the booking platform would take a while, hence the 2025 date.

Could IAG finally be getting the memo that they need to invest strategically in IT now, having been bitten so many times by the mess that is BA’s platform?
Joeykins and Harper50505 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Its being rumoured that Aer Lingus is going to become a full member of Oneworld from Q2 2025 . Lets see if it becomes reality . Would be great news for all of us if true .
Where did you hear these rumours? Thus far other than one tweet (which itself says they’ve heard a rumour - we don’t know if that tweet was based off this very thread!), there seems to be nothing about it. Have you personally heard this from a trusted source?
Old Jun 10, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Dave_C
What I understood from the tweet is that the changes needed to the booking platform would take a while, hence the 2025 date.

Could IAG finally be getting the memo that they need to invest strategically in IT now, having been bitten so many times by the mess that is BA’s platform?
The Aer Lingus reservations system ASTRAL is very stable and works well, however as an in-house developed piece of software it would need modifications to work with the other airlines systems. Some oneworld airlines use Sabre, some use Amadeus and there may be others, but it would be a few systems to integrate rather than one for each carrier... though I suppose each airline would have differences of some kind within each system.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Some oneworld airlines use Sabre, some use Amadeus and there may be others, but it would be a few systems to integrate rather than one for each carrier... though I suppose each airline would have differences of some kind within each system.
AA and AS are on Sabre. Everyone else in oneworld is on Amadeus. There are no other GDS hosts used by oneworld carriers.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:57 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Aer Lingus does quote fares on Sabre
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
I'm in exactly the same boat.
Switched from being a MM Platinum with Delta to a Gold with BA in 2016 after they were bought. I presumed they would join Oneworld at that point.
Rarely use EI due to lack of tier points even on DUB-ORD!!!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: BA Silver,AA,EI&UA
With all the anticipation of the JV and possible Oneworld membership, are there any plans for EI to introduce a Premium Economy cabin? Would that be a condition of membership so as to offer a comparable service to AA and BA? I fly DFW-SNN regularly and have avoided them for years due to the lack of a PE cabin.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I can't imagine that happening in the short term as it would be a massive refit and take planes out of use for weeks.

AA only got premium economy relatively recently and I'm pretty sure there are some other oneworld carriers with just economy and business.
irishguy28 and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Nil SeAnn
With all the anticipation of the JV and possible Oneworld membership, are there any plans for EI to introduce a Premium Economy cabin?
Those two issues are completely unrelated.

Would that be a condition of membership so as to offer a comparable service to AA and BA?
Existing oneworld airlines don't have a premium economy cabin.

When we hear that airlines are being threatened with expulsion from oneworld for not having a premium economy cabin, or that members are installing it to maintain their membership of the alliance, then maybe this linking of two disparate things could become credible.

If it did, however, personally I would see it as a guarantee that EI would not rejoin oneworld.
MeltingAlf likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Existing oneworld airlines don't have a premium economy cabin.

When we hear that airlines are being threatened with expulsion from oneworld for not having a premium economy cabin, or that members are installing it to maintain their membership of the alliance, then maybe this linking of two disparate things could become credible.

If it did, however, personally I would see it as a guarantee that EI would not rejoin oneworld.
And even Oman Air, a future oneworld member, doesn't have PEY.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
With all the anticipation of the JV and possible Oneworld membership, are there any plans for EI to introduce a Premium Economy cabin? Would that be a condition of membership so as to offer a comparable service to AA and BA? I fly DFW-SNN regularly and have avoided them for years due to the lack of a PE cabin.
I don't know if Aer Lingus will add premium economy.

Considering large oneworld carriers like Qatar Airways don't have premium economy, I don't think that is going to be a showstopper!
Old Jul 1, 2023, 7:47 pm
soy

Programs: various
I think any pressure to add Y+ would be more about the JV than anything related to OW membership.
IIRC , one of the ideas with the JV is that there is a fairly equivalent product on all carriers so pax can mix and match seamlessly
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soy
I think any pressure to add Y+ would be more about the JV than anything related to OW membership.
IIRC , one of the ideas with the JV is that there is a fairly equivalent product on all carriers so pax can mix and match seamlessly
Correct and I do think the Y+ will be introduced on EI maybe on key routes first as a soft launch initially.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:09 am

With the A321 playing such a key role in EIs long haul strategy (which will only increase when the XLRs arrive) I can’t see how Y+ fits in a narrowbody like this. Other than an perhaps an Aerspace-type empty middle seat product which goes out of its way to say it isn’t a separate class.
irishguy28 and stifle like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Well they could do what SK have done its a decent Y+ NB product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.