Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fees Suspended

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:01 am

Very similar situation here - due to fly to the US via DUB a week Monday - I suspect the now-expanded travel embargo will lead to flight cancellation and refund, but the Aer Lingus statements to date are not very informative! If not, I may also book something out in December and change it once plans become clearer...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
I'm looking to change a flight part paid with Avios. Anyone know if they're refunding the Avios or the cost value of them?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by drscoop
Think it might be more a misunderstanding of my question.... As it stands, the rebooking process has to be undertaken over the next week or so. According to the FAQ:

A fare difference may apply. Changes should be made no later than 25th March 2020, and some terms and conditions apply.“

Like many others, flights were booked to travel to a specific event or meeting, and it will be far from clear over the next week when those events will be re-scheduled to. It’s not so much About getting flights for a specific date some time in the future, but simply that the date that many customers will need to re-book for is completely unknown And will remain so until well after the limited window within which the flights can be changed, expires.
Sorry, I didn't realise that. For me, Aer Lingus is about getting home so there will always be an alternate date of use - I am not stuck to attending a particular event.

It sounds that, in your position, the option to refund for a voucher to be used within 12 months would have been a better deal. This is currently what BA is offering, and I am waiting to see if my application for a voucher will be processed before my flight is due to depart - or, better again, the flight(s) get cancelled in the meantime.

However, being able to re-book to any future date, which is what EI is currently allowing, is better than what KLM is offering at the moment. I had an Easter trip I tried to push back to the first week of June - which is not that far away - but they are not allowing the date to be changed beyond 31 May.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:19 am

Have aer lingus cancelled any of there flights to the U.S. out of DUB?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Not all US airports are accepting international flights, SFO/LAX/JFK/EWR/BOS/MIA/SEA/ORD/IAD are still accepting flights

PHL, BDL, MSP, MCO routes are suspended

A330's for this routes have been redeployed to evacuate Irish out of Spain
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:37 am

Has anyone had problems with changing their tickets? We were supposed to fly today BOS to DUB and then return DUB to BOS on Monday. We've picked new dates in October, but want to fly BOS to SNN and then return DUB to BOS.

When I try to change, it won''t give me any options other than DUB to fly into. There's a place to click "view all airports" but nothing comes up when I click it - just DUB. I'm desperate to get this fixed as I only have a few hours left to change (flight is scheduled to depart BOS at 7 PM tonight.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Change of airport requires an agent, cannot be done online
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
Thank you! This is confusing because the website mentions that dates and or/itinerary can be changed online without a fee. And of course they're not taking any phone calls.

I guess we will book changes in dates and keep airport the same for now and then call and try to change once things settle down.

Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:41 am

I'm ready to scream right now. I should still have a few hours to change my flights. I just went on and their site says my trip cannot be managed and directed me to the help desk. I've been trying to contact the help desk for days no with no success. Tried to call but they're not taking calls.

Any advice?

Last edited by PC1990; Mar 18, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:44 pm

So, for those in similar situations, I’m 4 days from planned departure and have just had an email saying I can apply for a voucher for future travel with a value of the total value of disrupted flights, plus an extra 10%...

Unexpectedly amicable option. I have just applied and will see when I get the voucher back.
PC1990 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:47 am
Original Poster

You are betting on EI surviving

1. Voucher = 0 if EI die but getting the voucher keeps cash in the company
2. If you change flights the credit card company will pay out if the company goes bust

So do you feel lucky?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:15 am

Just keep in mind guys that voucher maybe useless when fares are already being tripled for travel on various routes this Summer and Winter !
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:41 am

Update:

I was finally able to get through on the phone (about 2 hours before my deadline to make changes). I changed my flights and was told not only is there no change fee but also they're waiving the fare difference. This was great because I was going to have to shell out $300 for the fare difference.
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Can't say fairer than that.

They just don't have the capacity to take calls at this volume, EU flights are easy to change online, its complex connecting flights and rebooking to different airports and onto partner carriers is painful

Even on a good day a good agent will take 5-10 minute to do all the work, and thats with a customer who has the itinerary worked out. It saves a 2-3 minutes if you waive any fare diff

Hopefully they are training up some of the check in staff in Dublin to take calls as they are well able to change flights on fly at the check in desk
PC1990 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
You are betting on EI surviving

1. Voucher = 0 if EI die but getting the voucher keeps cash in the company
2. If you change flights the credit card company will pay out if the company goes bust

So do you feel lucky?
Will the credit card companies survive!!!!!

I'm going to take the vouchers in the hope that it helps them make it through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.