Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Avios Y Booking to J - Possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: $9 Fare Club

Is it possible to upgrade a Y points booking to J via either points or money?

I suspect not given the lack of integration of the EI/Avios systems.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Not since the transition to Avios in my experience.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Is it possible to upgrade a Y points booking to J via either points or money?

I suspect not given the lack of integration of the EI/Avios systems.
You can always cancel and rebook.

It's probably safer to book your new J ticket first, just to make sure that you actually can book a J seat. There will be a cancellation fee for cancelling your Y booking. It can take EI a long time to refund the fees (at least it did for me, back in March/April of this year)
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You can always cancel and rebook.

It's probably safer to book your new J ticket first, just to make sure that you actually can book a J seat. There will be a cancellation fee for cancelling your Y booking. It can take EI a long time to refund the fees (at least it did for me, back in March/April of this year)
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:33 am

Is it still the case that there's no upgrade path for an Y award booking? Proper steps are cancel and rebook if award space opens?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Is it still the case that there's no upgrade path for an Y award booking? Proper steps are cancel and rebook if award space opens?
The general Avios philosophy is that you can't upgrade bookings already made with Avios (either using cash, or using more Avios); this is how it has been with BA in the Executive Club for the last while at least. And since EI killed Gold Circle and no longer run their own FFP, all AerClub rewards are made by the third party entity that is Avios (and issued on BA 125 stock).

Of course, there is no penalty for ringing up and asking (and please report back if you do so!) but I don't think you will be able to upgrade your existing booking.
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Ah! Look what I found on the website!

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/us...business-class
Attached Images  
ucdtim17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.