Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Traveling Aer Lingus on an UA award ticket queries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

am on the phone w/ a UA agent trying to book flights for 2018 - EI flights e.g. DUB/SFO, that were showing on their website a couple of days ago, are not there any more, and the agent says that now they can only book award seats on EI in Y - anybody heard anything about this?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
I checked the UA site and I still see DUB-EWR J class award on EI available on one date in late December.
I went though the booking process but didn't complete the final payment step since I don't want to deal with getting a refund, so can't tell if it would error out if tried to book it.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Was just doing some searching for my parents and found a bunch of EI seats in J for the Spring.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

cross communication

apparently the agent meant to indicate only that the 1 date in question i was looking at was not available on EI in J (although she did maintain it was for all dates...) but then again, she also didn't know the difference between YVR and YYZ (very nice lady though)

thanks for the replies
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Nice is good but competent is better.
LGA likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

now am again being told that since EI is not star alliance they are not providing any J seats on UA awards - this after being on the phone with UA for 7+ hours - any idea to get the J seat i had my heart set on (DUB/SFO)?

am tweeting a message to EI to see if they agree but not sure their reply will cut any ice with UA :-(
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
J seats are extremely hard to get on EI.

Due changes in EI's program and sale of EI to IAG has resulted in a significant increase in BA and IB flyers using EI inventory.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
now am again being told that since EI is not star alliance they are not providing any J seats on UA awards - this after being on the phone with UA for 7+ hours - any idea to get the J seat i had my heart set on (DUB/SFO)?

am tweeting a message to EI to see if they agree but not sure their reply will cut any ice with UA :-(
EI not being star alliance has stopped UA booking J up to now, so that sounds like someone making up an excuse. I certainly see EI biz award seats coming up on united, and it proceeds to the booking stage.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

after persevering i got a competent agent in web support who was able to book the seats - so for anyone running into a roadblock with UA (we had a slightly complicated itinerary that we could not book online), i'd recommend going straight to web support if you see it available on their site, but aren't able to actually get the darn seat to book!
thanks again for replies to the original post!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Lounge Access LHR for EI TATL J pax, w/ cousin in UA J class

i finally got UA to book me LHR/DUB/SFO for next June, the longer sector in J class (LHR/DUB of course doesn't offer J as far as i can tell, so i will just have to tough out that short flight in coach) - my cousin will be flying on UA (also in J) LHR/IAH/SDF that day
will we have access to any/all star alliance lounges in T2? (i have looked online, and do not see an answer to this!) or will i only have access to the EI lounge (if i'm lucky - perhaps i'm assuming too much that they would give me access as a TATL J pax?), and would have to pay for my cousin for entry there (probably not worth it)
TIA for advice and information esp. w/ pointers to documentation we can use on the day if we run into a cranky dragon

Last edited by 2Ruse; Oct 12, 2017 at 9:21 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
You will have access to the EI Lounge in T2 in LHR if you are flying J on the same ticket ex Dublin, no guest
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
will we have access to any/all star alliance lounges in T2? (i have looked online, and do not see an answer to this!)
Your cousin will, but you won't, as you are not departing on a Star Alliance flight, and because your cousin's business class ticket only allows the bearer to enter the lounge - no guests.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
J seats are extremely hard to get on EI.
That has not been my experience.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

EI business on UA miles - baggage allowance?

booked an itinerary SDF/ORD/IST/LHR/DUB/SFO w/ UA miles, all in business class where available on that aircraft, the last 2 flights on EI - for some reason, the itinerary info on the UA site shows 2 free bags on every flight except the EI flights, where it shows $100 for the 2nd bag - neither EI nor UA are very helpful on this - EI maintains that since the itinerary starts w/ a UA flight SDF/ORD, that whatever UA says goes, even if inconsistent with all the other legs in the itinerary - UA passes me to several agents who don't understand the question (and i've tried HUCA without success)

any flyertalkers who've been in a similar situation? i travel w/ 2 small bags (probably 20 kilos each at most) and don't want to have to consolidate if i don't have to - i guess i could just bring some duct tape w/ me for checkin at LHR :-)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

US DOT Regulation 14 CFR 399.87 and CTA Regulation 144-A-2014 (First Marketing Carrier)

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) introduced its own regulation for baggage allowances and fees, and in April 2015 the Canadian Transportation Agency replicated these into Canadian law. Their focus is on ensuring that the allowance and fees remain the same for all flights on the same ticket. And they apply to all flights on tickets that originate or have an ultimate destination of the US. And note that while IATA 302 is an industry code of practice the US and Canadian DOT are law. Connections through the US or Canada (e.g. UK-US-Costa Rica) aren’t subject to these rules and IATA 302 would apply.

The US law states -
    So, it’s the allowance, and fees, of the First Marketing Carrier (FMC) that apply to all flights on the ticket.

To determine your baggage allowance, look at the first flight on the ticket and note the airline whose code is on that flight. For example if it says UA1234 then United is the first marketing carrier and its baggage allowance and fees apply for all flights on that ticket.

Don’t worry if the first flight is a domestic flight. As long as there is an immediate connection (without a stopover) to an international flight then the FMC’s international allowance applies.

Point 3 appears confusing. That is the first marketing carrier may choose to apply the baggage rules of the most significant (marketing) carrier instead of its own rules. Most major US airlines don’t do this, so why is it there? There are regional carriers who don’t fly long haul and so don’t have a long haul baggage allowance. For example, Alaska Airlines only flies regionally and has no free baggage allowance. Yet Alaska also provides domestic connecting flights for other airlines’ long haul services. As they don’t want to constrain passengers to their baggage fees for all flights Alaska applies the baggage allowance and fees of the most significant carrier whose flight number is on the ticket, and that allowance applies for all flights. So if you start with an Alaska (AS) flight connecting to a Korean Airlines (KE) flight, Alaska will give you Korean’s baggage allowance (2 free bags for US originating flights) and that allowance is then the same (2 free bags) for all other flights on the ticket.

Also be aware that if you are making your journey using flights on separate tickets, then each ticket will have its own baggage allowance and fees.

Benefits of CFR 399.87 and CTA 144-A-2014

1) You get one consistent baggage allowance, and set of fees for all flights on the ticket. The allowance and fees don’t change when you check in for downstream flights.

2) Because the allowance is that of the first marketing carrier, you don’t get confused by having to check other airlines’ websites if you’ve booked a code share.
    But beware - your business class allowance doesn't carry over to flights that are in economy on the same ticket. For your DUB-LHR flight, there is no business class, so you would not be entitled to the UA business class luggage allowance on this flight, but only the UA economy allowance.

The same applies if you have any extra luggage allowance on UA due to status - this does not carry over to other non-UA/non-Star Alliance carriers.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 16, 2018 at 1:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.