Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Flight redirection to a new airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL

Some advice please...

I purchased a flight from NOC to LGW from BA operated by AerLingus.

Inbound flight from LGW arrived approx 1hr late and as a result of Runway closures at LGW is now about to depart to Birmingham at 22:45ish with inbound coach to LGW with approximate arrival at 3am.

Am I within my rights to get my taxi driver to pickup from Birmingham at additional cost from a LGW pickup and claim compensation from BA or EI ?

Thanks

Mike
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As I understand EI as operating airline are intending to provide a coach from BHX to LGW?

If this is the case I am not sure you will find EI very responsive in paying for a taxi instead. Perhaps ask on the EI board?

EC261 compensation is covered in the thread as linked in the dashboard, but I imagine this does fit in to an exception and no compensation is due.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Michael Gannon
Am I within my rights to get my taxi driver to pickup from Birmingham at additional cost from a LGW pickup and claim compensation from BA or EI ?
Not even remotely. Try your luck with EU261 but extraordinary circumstance argument seems strong here.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Thanks for the prompt response, still on the ground @ NOC as understandably some passengers have chosen not to travel tonight and bags are being offloaded.

Ticket was sold by BA with a BA flight number, will pursue BA if no luck from EI who to be fair are doing their best in bad circumstances...

Mike

Originally Posted by KARFA
As I understand EI as operating airline are intending to provide a coach from BHX to LGW?

If this is the case I am not sure you will find EI very responsive in paying for a taxi instead. Perhaps ask on the EI board?

EC261 compensation is covered in the thread as linked in the dashboard, but I imagine this does fit in to an exception and no compensation is due.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Michael Gannon
Thanks for the prompt response, still on the ground @ NOC as understandably some passengers have chosen not to travel tonight and bags are being offloaded.

Ticket was sold by BA with a BA flight number, will pursue BA if no luck from EI who to be fair are doing their best in bad circumstances...

Mike

There is NO point pursuing this with BA. They will just tell you its EIs responsibility.

The fact that you bought the ticket from BA and your ticket is a BA codeshare number makes not one iota of a difference. The operating carrier is what counts and that is EI
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was originally posted on BA forum but because EI is the operating carrier, it has been moved here.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Back onto the subject, since the runway closure was due to discovery of a hole in the runway, causing flight disruptions, and not a scheduled closure such as a night curfew, in my opinion EI would have every right to say that it was an extraordinary circumstance and no compensations are due in any way.

Since they have provided coach transfer to the original destination, I would think they have fulfilled their duty too. I doubt they would be under any obligation to pay for taxi under the circumstance and personally, I would not ask for it either as I do not believe I would be successful in claiming for it and neither would I feel I would be entitled to it.

Attempting to claim anything from BA will simply result in their referring you to EI, so I would say it would be a waste of time for everyone.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Sep 4, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
The contract was transport from NOC to LGW

EI made reasonable efforts in exceptional circumstances to get folks to destination

If the bus got to LGW before the delay exceeded 3 hours, EC261 doesn't come into play at all.

There is a legal question here as does a hole in a runway come under 'exceptional circumstances' as unlike bird strikes a hole in a runway is a maintenance/design/engineering failure and you can be sure EI will chasing LGW owners for costs
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If this doesn't count as extraordinary circumstances, then I am not sure that anything would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.