Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Preclearance in Dublin and access to airport lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preclearance in Dublin and access to airport lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I did something similar to the OP a couple of years back, BHX-DUB-JFK.

The connection was however only about 90 mins. On arrival I noticed the departures boards were telling passengers on my flight to go through immigration, but this seemed a bit OTT. I stuck my head into the Gold Circle lounge and they said I should take a seat and they would call the flight.

This was timed to perfection - as soon as the flight was called I left the lounge, and the moment I cleared the TSA security check, they announced boarding was underway.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Seems like a well polished machine

Does anybody happen to know with the DAA lounge makes announcements for when when passengers should head over to preclearance (similar to the Gold Circle Lounge). My Priority Pass will only get me into the DAA and not the Gold Circle Lounge.

Simon
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:11 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The DAA lounge is just a glorified waiting room. I wouldn't waste the vouchers on it.
See Irishguys28 comment. I have never used it but may I add that I would not recommend that you consider paying for Gold Circle access because this lounge is also a glorified waiting room.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:08 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Simon Schus

Does anybody happen to know with the DAA lounge makes announcements for when when passengers should head over to preclearance
They do not.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:17 pm

Seems like a well polished machine

Does anybody happen to know with the DAA lounge makes announcements for when when passengers should head over to preclearance (similar to the Gold Circle Lounge). My Priority Pass will only get me into the DAA and not the Gold Circle Lounge.

Simon
No they do not . If you don't want to pay for the GC lounge then I would maybe head to the Chocolate lounge for something to eat then head to the DAA for around 25 mins ( thats all its worth ) then head to pre clearance. The DAA lounge in T1 is actually nicer than the T2 one but not worth the treck.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:43 pm
soy

Programs: various
Hi trustno1,

I can confirm that the flight time is 1400 rather than 1600:

Aer Lingus EI137
14:00 - DUB Dublin
16:05 - BOS Boston Logan International

Thanks for looking out for me though

I think there are a few flights leaving around that time. I land into Dublin at 1135am so I shall wander over to have a look at the queues about 1145 midday before heading to one of the lounges. Boarding starts around T-35mins

Simon
Preclearance is quiet at 2pm. You would be in plenty of time turning up at T-45mins at that time of day.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by charlieduke
I have a "what would you do" question ?.

my wife and I have a gold amex charge card which gives us two passes each to "lounge club". There is a DAA Lounge in Dublin Terminal 2 and one in Las Vegas. Four of us will be travelling from Dublin to San Francisco in August and the stopover in Dublin is 3 hours before the transatlantic flight. We travel back from Las Vegas to Gatwick. Is it best using the lounge in Dublin or Las Vegas and is it any good.? We will be travelling with our 15 and 14 year old children who will be charged £15 each if we choose to use both lounges. Is £15 good value for what is on offer there food wise or are we best off just using the four passes in one of the lounges ?
thanks
AMEX Gold doesn't give you access to lounges. Amex Platinum does, but only if you request the Priority Pass Select add-on (free) for most Int'l ones. They'll mail you a separate Priority Pass card, which I believe can allow you take in a guest or two. If you do have Platinum, you also have access to the AMEX Centurion Lounge at LAS.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
AMEX Gold doesn't give you access to lounges.
The OP is a UK card holder. The UK Gold card comes with two lounge passes.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Hi all

Thanks for continuing the discussion.

I didn't mention the card type too much in my original post as I didn't think it'd be too relevant to the question However, I'm an UK-based Amex Plat cardholder which nicely gives me Priority Pass Select access to the DAA Lounge in Dublin. It also gives me the Cathay Pacific gold card (Oneworld Sapphire/British Airways Exec Silver). Alas, however, I don't think this can get me into the Gold Circle Lounge because I'll be flying into Dublin from London Gatwick on Aer Lingus which isn't a BA codeshare flight. I'm fairly fine with that as apparently the DAA Lounge in Dublin Terminal 2 has a shower which will be nice as I'll already have been travelling the day before so little comforts like that will make the general travelling more enjoyable... and break up the various journeys from place to place!

Thanks all

Take care,

Simon.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Feb 25, 2014 at 6:03 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A BA Silver card (and it has to be issued by BA - any of the oneworld equivalents, such as your CX card, do not count) would actually grant you access to any of Aer Lingus's Gold Circle lounges when flying between Heathrow and Ireland on any Aer Lingus service which carries a BA codeshare number - even when the ticket on which you are travelling has nothing directly to do with BA or an onward BA journey (i.e when booked directly from EI or a third party and purchased with an EI flight number).

Aer Lingus doesn't have its own lounge in Gatwick, though, and I really don't think that the Number One lounge there (which is the one EI uses, I believe) would honour a BA Silver card for access. And a BA Silver card would not have gotten you into the Gold Circle lounge in Dublin ahead of an Aer Lingus flight to Chicago - the only time you would have access in Dublin is ahead of an Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 25, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Cool

Hi irishguy28,

Yes - I agree completely

Kindly, the Priority Pass that comes with the AMEX gets me into the No1 (and the ServisAir, but hmmm) in Gatwick South terminal which should be nice for some pancakes before the 915am flight over to Dublin. On the Boston leg, the Priority Pass gets me into the Air France lounge in Boston (which is nice enough... though there was a mouse last time I was there!).

Pity not flying with Virgin or BA this time They've got a lovely sale over between London and Boston direct - if only I'd waited another 48 hours to book and then I could've got a lovely deal with them - alas, bygones!

Take care everybody

Simon
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aer Club Platinum, BAEC Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by charlieduke
I have a "what would you do" question ?.

my wife and I have a gold amex charge card which gives us two passes each to "lounge club". There is a DAA Lounge in Dublin Terminal 2 and one in Las Vegas. Four of us will be travelling from Dublin to San Francisco in August and the stopover in Dublin is 3 hours before the transatlantic flight. We travel back from Las Vegas to Gatwick. Is it best using the lounge in Dublin or Las Vegas and is it any good.? We will be travelling with our 15 and 14 year old children who will be charged £15 each if we choose to use both lounges. Is £15 good value for what is on offer there food wise or are we best off just using the four passes in one of the lounges ?
thanks

Charlie,

the DAA lounge is a nice restful area with good views of the apron.

Food is soup, cheese, crackers, biscuits, crisps. Not lavish, but probably just enough to kill the hunger pangs.

Given that you have two teenage children, they might have a couple of soft drinks, coffee, or tea.

Allowing for the cost of buying a couple of drinks & snacks in the departures area, it is possibly a little more expensive to use the DAA Lounge, but if you balance this against the comfort of using the lounge, I would consider it worthwhile.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
thank you for your replies. Most helpful. don't know whether to use the lounge passes in Las Vegas though. I don't know what the lounge is like. We will be flying in from Cardiff at 0920 and the flight to SFO leaves at 1215. I don't know how long the turnaround will be but 2 and a half hours is a long time to sit in the departure lounge so will probably use the passes in the lounge in Dublin. Shame they don't do bacon rolls !!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Aer Lingus doesn't have its own lounge in Gatwick, though, and I really don't think that the Number One lounge there (which is the one EI uses, I believe) would honour a BA Silver card for access.
Correct, have tried.
the only time you would have access in Dublin is ahead of an Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow.
Incorrect. Mrs. stifle and I were admitted to the Gold Circle Club on our BA silver cards at DUB before flying DUB-LGW earlier this month.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That should have read "Heathrow or Gatwick", aka any Aer Lingus flight that also carries a BA codeshare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.