Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

EI lounge access - Chicago O'hare ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I will connecting in ORD, onward to DUB on Aer Lingus in business class. I see on Aer Lingus that the lounge in ORD I have access to is the Air France Lounge.

I see on Air France that their lounge is only open until 6pm:

Chicago
The Air France lounge
- Opening hours: 12:30 AM – 6:00 PM
- Location within the airport: After security, near the Air France boarding area
- Local, International, French newspapers
- Wi-Fi
- Computers available
- Copy, Fax machine

The Alitalia lounge, a SkyTeam partner

The Delta lounge, a SkyTeam partner

The Korean Air lounge, a SkyTeam partner
- Internet access

My EI business class ticket was booked on BA using Avios, does that mean I have access to other lounges as well? And, I cant believe the AF lounge is only open until 6pm.

Please let me know what my options might be, I arrive in ORD at 5:00 and depart at 8:00, so I dont have lots of time, but I'd like to enjoy a lounge for as long as possible.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
You wil only have access to the AF lounge, as that's all EI is paying for.

Can't comment on the opening hours there specifically, as I haven't been through ORD on EI since they changed lounges but in general I've found lounges in similar situations stay open until the paying airline's flight departs. It's possible that AF.com isn't updated with that info, if their flight leaves before the "official" closure as it wouldn't really be relevant to AF's customers.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Since my post, I've found various opening times from 20:00 to 22:00, so hopefully that is the case, and you are correct that the lounge will be open unto our EI flight departs.

It does seem though, that if the ticket was booked though BA, that one would have BA lounge access as well, even if they aren't the operating carrier. but thats just my humble opinion...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Nope, alas that's not how it works. You may have booked via BA, but you're flying via EI, so you play in their sandboxes - just think of Avios as a currency that you used in a travel agent.

In this case the travel agent just happens to be an airline also.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I'll post a message Friday when we arrive in ORD...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
AF lounge stays open until you EI flight leaves.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jbminger
It does seem though, that if the ticket was booked though BA, that one would have BA lounge access as well, even if they aren't the operating carrier. but thats just my humble opinion...
That's not BA's opinion though. You have to be travelling on BA or a oneworld carrier to access BA lounges, which you clearly are not.

The Air France lounge at ORD isn't a great lounge. At least while it's also being used by Aer Lingus it's well-stocked with Irish newspapers so that considerably improved my recent wait there.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I've read the AF lounge in T5 at ORD is not the best of lounges... Oh well, I've got some Admirals Club passes and United lounge day passes, but if i'm not mistaken, neither lounge is in T5.

Anyone know the if the Admirals Club or the United lounge would be worth going to? Again, my time is somewhat limited, so it's most likely best just to goto the AF lounge in T5.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
The T5 AF lounge is about equal to AA and UA lounges. It is near your gate, past security and will clear out after 5:30 once AF51 leaves at 6:00pm.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:07 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Leaving ORD on the EI124 in early June which departs at 20:00. Do GC members still use the AF lounge as the AF website states that the lounge closes at 18:00? Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You're not an Air France passenger so the information on the Air France website is not relevant for your situation.

All AF and KL flights for the day have left by 17:30. The lounge serves other passengers, though.

https://www.loungeclub.com/en/our-lo...ge-detail/ORD8
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:54 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Thanks irishguy28. I have just seen the conditions of admission which state:

Children under 2 years are admitted free - Smart casual dress at all times (no shorts, vests, baseball caps or football shirts allowed - Non-smoking.

Not that I think I will be infringing the conditions regarding dress code, but I don't think EI have a dress code for GC members.

Last edited by trustno1; Apr 5, 2014 at 2:00 am
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
General thoughts

The Air France lounge is nothing special but it is passable. They have a good selection of snacks and drinks but you'd do best to avoid the rather sad sandwiches they have. When flying LX, I used LoungeClub to access the lounge and it was open till at least 7 PM. They also allowed me to bring in food from outside the lounge as I complained about their hot food options. Big Bowl nearby is a good option but if you are a Lettuce Entertain You (LEYE) member, please note that this Big Bowl is a franchisee that is unrelated to LEYE and your status means nothing to them.

AAdmirals Club (T3) and United Club (T1 / T2) will not be accessible as T5's sterile area is not connected to the rest of the terminals (T1 - T3 can access each other without having to leave the sterile area) except for passengers traveling on BA. Furthermore, the Air France lounge, while smaller, has far superior (which isn't saying much) food options to the AA and UA lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.