Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Simple improvement to EI GC would make it an ok FF program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold

Having been flying EI an awful lot over the last few years on LH and SH ive noticed that Gold Circle could easily be turned into a decent program if Gold, Prestige and Elite members were given a couple of decent benefits that were worth trying to achieve status for

1) Free seat selection
2) Additional baggage allowance

The recent addition of Fast Track access for GC members is great (even though i already had the Dublin Airport VIP card)

These 2 benefits are standard across most other FF programs

Anyone else got others they would like to add?

I would like to send an email to GC asking for these benefits, but i know it will fall on deaf ears
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I spent a few minutes daydreaming and coming up with some of the most fanciful suggestions - not that they would ever be implemented!!!

The single best thing they could do would be to make your Gold Circle points spendable even when you have applicant status.

I realise you're looking for status enhancements (moreso than program enhancements) but this aspect of the program has always struck me as being unfair.

Or at least it was back in the days when the cheapest fares still earned Gold Circle points and I had enough for a UK-Ireland flight that I couldn't book. These days, my flights on EI earn nothing!!!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:07 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
It's so hard to earn points now it's almost a joke. So far this year I have earned 4500 but if all my flights had earned points I would be closer to 7000, easily on way to getting Elite again. I like the free upgrades transatlantic and I think that Prestige members should get 2 upgrades. I also think that the GC desk move has not been a good move as it's always busy now in my experience (checking in non GC pax). I preferred the old location as it was also nearer to the gates. I also reckon that there were promotions in the past contained in the Points Statement e-mail regarding the use of points. I have not seen one in awhile. I would also support the request for free seating and free first checked bag for all GC members.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:08 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Where would one start with EI GC....

- earning points, even with plus fares these do not always automatically register
- booking classes need to be more easily visible when booking
- opaque earning rates on partner airlines, these are not clearly spelled out anywhere. Website states "The number of points earned will be determined by the route taken and the fare class applicable to your flight." but nowhere does it explain how many miles will actually be earned.
- inconsistent pre-boarding for GC members (more likely not to happen)
- free seat selection (including emergency aisles) for GC members
- extra luggage allowance
- account overview on the website (the emails are a pain and get easily lost)
- location of GC check in at DUB T1 (the new location is a pain and makes no sense)
- enhance food selection at GC lounge
- consider the old bmi idea of a meal deal: "free drink and sandwich" for GC members

All in all GC is just not reward loyalty.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
A lot of the previous posts make sense...my top 3 improvements would be:

1) Faster updates to my account balance (my company always book me Plus fares - however, it can take forever to update my account - if at all, and I end up forgetting).
2) Better standard of snack options in DUB lounge (although this is by no means the worst)
3) Specific boarding call for GC customers

As I see it, there is no discernible difference between Gold and Prestige so I'd like Prestige to get a few extras!

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Free bag, online statement (very important for applicants as they don't get an emailed one), better explanation of when points expire, free preferred seat selection, and no completely non-earning fares.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Be careful what you wish for - see what you've done!

GCs now get an extra piece of cabin baggage; everyone else gets less. (even thought he allowance is now 10kg, instead of 8kg! ^)

http://www.ittn.ie/bulletins/new-aer...ge-allowances/
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I think it was 10kg all along, and this is less of a change than an enforcement statement (i.e. we will not be accepting a full to bursting wheel bag, three-quarters of the contents of World Duty Free, a kitchen sink, and a suit carrier).

The dimensions permitted have marginally increased.

Does this mean you and I can carry on a wheely bag, a laptop bag, and a satchel type bag?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: QF/DJ/SQ/EY
This new cabin baggage policy is a PITA and has been very badly communicated. It now means that as with Ryanair, if you carry a laptop bag you need to check your overnight bag. It removes one of the few remaining valuable differentiations between FR and EI product from my perspective.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure it is even helpful, because the problem was people boarding with a maximum size wheeled case plus personal item and storing the latter, plus their jacket, in the overhead bin. The bins still won't hold a maximum-size case per person on a full A320, or even close.

I don't need to check my overnight bag when bringing a laptop bag, however.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: QF/DJ/SQ/EY
Originally Posted by stifle
I don't need to check my overnight bag when bringing a laptop bag, however.
Good for you. Please wave at plebs like me patiently waiting at the carousel as you pass.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Joking aside, I'd much prefer a half-decent GC benefit such as first bag free on short-haul and second bag free on long-haul.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:18 pm
soy

Programs: various
I wish they would designate a few aisle and window seats for GC on each flight. With loads doing well on TATL there are often only middle seats left for anyone booking at relatively short notice (2 weeks out).

Also, they really should allow qualification by segments, say 30 segments (any fare) for Gold Circle.

Don't get me started on the GC section of the website
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum HH Diamond
Just on their short haul, while I wouldn't expect much being a gold member, bar the lounge access there is absolutely zero benefit to being a member on short haul flights. I was tempted to make an effort to keep it next year but it makes much more sense to get priority pass and not exclude Ryanair. I don't know what I was expecting but some touch would have been nice.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Pooling family membership would be useful

And a soft landing from Prestige to regular Gold Circle (unless it exists already??)

Grantosol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.