Wiki Posts
Search

SAS leaving Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, SAS Eurobonus Silver
SAS leaving Star Alliance

Hello everyone, I fly LHR-OSL-LYR return in J at least twice a year, which has always been a really useful way to help retain Gold on A3.

I'm planning on flying this route again in November/December, but with the exit of SK from *A suggested to take place during the first half of 2024, my question is - would I be better off waiting to find out the state of play in relation to earning points with SK on *A, before I book in J?

Would a 'point earning' agreement between SK and A3 (or indeed any other *A carrier) even be possible/likely in future, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I appreciate that there are many 'unknowns', but would be grateful for any tips. Thank you
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:43 am

If all goes to plan when they leave expect the earning and burning to cease very quickly unless there are any legal hold ups with the authorities. With AF / KL seeking more control over SAS they will want them integrated and ditching Star asap.

I will miss SK in the alliance I had some good trips on them. If I do a few more it will most likely be a case of booking a few weeks before as anything else is risky if you are relying on the miles.
tony2022 and lensovet like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tony2022
I'm planning on flying this route again in November/December, but with the exit of SK from *A suggested to take place during the first half of 2024
It's almost certain that SK will NOT have left *A by the end of June 2024. The takeover has not yet cleared any of the competition hurdles; and there would have to be a certain period of notice before SK quits *A (granted, we know unofficially that it is their intention, but they would still need to come with a clearer indication of when it is happening, and allow a minimum of time for their own status members to react).

However, if it is part of your strategy to earn status in A3's program, then I would advise you to avoid SK for flights going much further into the future.

Originally Posted by tony2022
my question is - would I be better off waiting to find out the state of play in relation to earning points with SK on *A, before I book in J?

Would a 'point earning' agreement between SK and A3 (or indeed any other *A carrier) even be possible/likely in future, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
There is little to no chance that A3 will still allow mileage earning on SK flights after it has left *A. With the exception of Olympic - which is their own airline - A3 only allows earning on Star Alliance airlines. I am not aware of any particular closeness in the relationship between SAS and A3 that would see either airline seek to maintain earning/burning privileges after SK quits *A.
lensovet and tony2022 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
It's sad I liked SAS but I guess we have enuf Star connections through the Scandinavian countries.
tony2022 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:13 pm

I have read recently but I can't find the article that SAS plan to quit *A in Q2 of 2024. I thought that was early and there wouldn't be regulatory clearance by then but of course whether the AF/KLM deal goes through or not, they could still move to Sky Team. I have a few bookings with them for TOS and HEL through this year but I also have Sky Team status (AF/KLM are the only main line option out of ORK) so I'm interested to see what happens. Certainly at the moment in booking, the options for frequent flyer details are all *A with no mention of Sky Team but it could all change very quickly.
DELLAS and tony2022 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Harper50505
but of course whether the AF/KLM deal goes through or not, they could still move to Sky Team.
If the takeover fails for whatever reason, they could also move to oneworld. But I think the far most likely option is that they would remain in Star.
tony2022 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:33 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
It's sad I liked SAS but I guess we have enuf Star connections through the Scandinavian countries.
But then we may see AZ join Star. It has a really good product especially in Business Class. SAS can still joing Skyteam to complete the all bland cold & boring Business Meals Club.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If the takeover fails for whatever reason, they could also move to oneworld. But I think the far most likely option is that they would remain in Star.
And equally they could join no alliance at all. I can't see them joining oneworld so close geographically to Finnair but if they want some alignment to AF/KLM then SkyTeam makes sense.

In *A they have never had much more than a few interlines with LH who of course sit at the heart of Europe and of course LH just wants every other airline to be an LH feeder which SK clearly don't want to be and have bigger ambitions so I think they will go whatever.
tony2022 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Harper50505
And equally they could join no alliance at all. I can't see them joining oneworld so close geographically to Finnair but if they want some alignment to AF/KLM then SkyTeam makes sense.
Indeed; but IAG seems to think they can fold Air Europa into oneworld, *AND* they want to buy TAP.

So oneworld is all about getting every airline in a peninsula into the alliance ;-)
tony2022 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
There is little to no chance that A3 will still allow mileage earning on SK flights after it has left *A. With the exception of Olympic - which is their own airline - A3 only allows earning on Star Alliance airlines. I am not aware of any particular closeness in the relationship between SAS and A3 that would see either airline seek to maintain earning/burning privileges after SK quits *A.
FWIW A3 allowed earning on US Airways for a while after it left for oneworld, however, the miles did not count for status and were only award miles, so probably any such arrangement wouldn't be too helpful for the OP.
DELLAS, tony2022 and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:37 am

Indeed; but IAG seems to think they can fold Air Europa into oneworld, *AND* they want to buy TAP.

So oneworld is all about getting every airline in a peninsula into the alliance ;-)
No doubt oneworld is ambitious but given the presence of Iberia and probably Air Europa, I can't ever see the EU allowing TAP to be bought up by IAG. If they were, the idea of a competition commission would be a joke.
tony2022 and AlwaysFlyStar like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, SAS Eurobonus Silver
I appreciate all the tips and advice so far - thank you.

I've decided to hedge my bets and book the more expensive outbound leg from LHR using A3 points (whilst I still can!), and paid for the return leg in J as SAS currently have a sale.

I wouldn't bet against DY joining *A in the not-too-distant future, in order to restore Scandinavian coverage
DELLAS and Harper50505 like this.

Last edited by tony2022; Mar 17, 2024 at 11:06 am
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:01 pm

I would bet a lot of money against DY joining any of the three big alliances.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:48 pm

I think the takeover will happen sooner or later, even if it fails now, so they will move eventually to Oneworld. Definitely a loss to Star Alliance.
tony2022 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 5:00 am

https://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/skyteam/
September 1st is the date...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.