Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Beware of the Upcoming LH-Group 'Discover Airlines' Trap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat

Lufthansa is currently rebranding many of its medium- and long-haul flights to holiday destinations as 'Discover Airlines' (a spin-off from Eurowings). Certain flights from MUC to LCA, for example, are now being sold as LHxxxx operated by Discover which is not part of Star Alliance. It is therefore unlikely that A3 cardholders will gain mileage credit or be accorded lounge privileges on many such flights. Swiss have already been doing this with many flights operated by Edelweiss. There are sure to be many angry non-LH *G customers this year!
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:38 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I was under the impression that Swiss Edelweiss flights are earning miles when sold under LX code?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johnirvine
Lufthansa is currently rebranding many of its medium- and long-haul flights to holiday destinations as 'Discover Airlines' (a spin-off from Eurowings). Certain flights from MUC to LCA, for example, are now being sold as LHxxxx operated by Discover which is not part of Star Alliance. It is therefore unlikely that A3 cardholders will gain mileage credit or be accorded lounge privileges on many such flights. Swiss have already been doing this with many flights operated by Edelweiss. There are sure to be many angry non-LH *G customers this year!
Thanks , its in line with what they announced , 4Y will take over the leisure traffic and LH will keep the rest

I think LH m&m members are less/not affected but for others its not good at all

*G needs to pay attention to LH or LX or TK booking anyway , as these airlines gladly sells flights operated by their low cost subsidiary but without heavily adertising it
Jamichi1 and Alexflyer like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:35 am

For years Lufthansa have been on a track of wanting all the benefits of *A while not giving members of schemes which are not Miles & More any benefits at all even on main line - P fares in business class anyone?

The best thing to do is avoid Lufthansa when you don't get any benefits - if there are no *G benefits, you might as well buy the cheapest fare with any airline in the class you want to travel.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Swiss have already been doing this with many flights operated by Edelweiss.
Since when?
I have flown many 'Swiss operated by Edelweiss' flights, but always had all *G privileges/benefits. Is this a new thing, or?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I was under the impression that Swiss Edelweiss flights are earning miles when sold under LX code?
Please read what I actually said: 'Swiss has already been doing this (not awarding miles) on MANY flights operated by Edelweiss.' Only Edelweiss operated flights sold by Swiss with flight codes in the range LX 8000-8499 are eligible for mileage. Swiss also sells flights with LX codes outside of this range as well as WK coded flights.

The main point of my post was to warn about mileage on the newly launched Discover flights and the post by fifty_two was a helpful clarification.
Jamichi1 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
No need for the attitude. As you can see above from various replies your statement, true or not, is at the least not common knowledge - and the general assumption definitely is that mainline LX flights earn. For example AMS-ZRH is operated by LX, WK or BT (seemingly depending on the moon cycle or something else incomprehensible) and I believe that everybody would expect that to earn. Its a regular LX flight number.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
and the general assumption definitely is that mainline LX flights earn. For example AMS-ZRH is operated by LX, WK or BT (seemingly depending on the moon cycle or something else incomprehensible) and I believe that everybody would expect that to earn. Its a regular LX flight number.
Wetleases will always earn if in the name of a *A member.

The only thing to discuss really is codeshares. As *A mileage credit is generally based on metal, a Discover flight booked as an LH code should not earn anything on A3. Please correct me if I'm wrong, A3 is thus far only a secondary program of mine.

WK flights booked as a codeshare flight with LX code also do not generally earn anything. Just for the LX flights in a certain subrange there is an exception. Basically, there is the accounting fiction that these are actually LX metal.
johnirvine likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Please read what I actually said: 'Swiss has already been doing this (not awarding miles) on MANY flights operated by Edelweiss.' Only Edelweiss operated flights sold by Swiss with flight codes in the range LX 8000-8499 are eligible for mileage. Swiss also sells flights with LX codes outside of this range as well as WK coded flights.
Are you sure that Edelweiss flights in the range LX 8000-8499 are eligible for mileage earning?

I flew on a Z business fare on LX 8311 and LX 8310 between EDI and ZRH and back again. 8311 was actually operated by Swiss whereas 8310 was operated by Edelweiss.

No mileage awarded and tried to use the online form to claim but the form gives an error saying that the flight number is not in a range eligible for mileage.

Haven’t bothered to contact customer relations about this as I just figured that Edelweiss flights even if booked with LX numbers were not eligible for mileage earning on A3 Miles and Bonus.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrow
Are you sure that Edelweiss flights in the range LX 8000-8499 are eligible for mileage earning?

I flew on a Z business fare on LX 8311 and LX 8310 between EDI and ZRH and back again. 8311 was actually operated by Swiss whereas 8310 was operated by Edelweiss.

No mileage awarded and tried to use the online form to claim but the form gives an error saying that the flight number is not in a range eligible for mileage.

Haven’t bothered to contact customer relations about this as I just figured that Edelweiss flights even if booked with LX numbers were not eligible for mileage earning on A3 Miles and Bonus.
According to the published information, you should have received mileage credit for both flights. The EDI to ZRH route is Swiss and I believe that Edelweiss operate it on a wet-lease basis. Perhaps you need to call M&B directly and not take no for an answer.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:02 pm

ZRH-EDI is WK. LX number is just codeshare.

Rule of thumb for LX/WK: if flight has a WK number, then it's a WK flight with a LX codeshare.
General rule of thumb for LX: if flight number is above 3000, it's not a "proper LX flight"
General rule of thumbs: the airline with the lowest flight number is the operating airline (there might be exceptions, but I don't know any)

For ZRH-EDI: e.g. WK292 vs LX8292
Flight has WK flight number, LX flight number is above 3000, WK flight number is lower than LX --> all three rule of thumbs allude that it's not a "proper" LX flight, but a codeshare --> it's a WK and not a LX flight --> it's not a *G flight --> *G benefits don't apply (still some of them like priority boarding are still offered)
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aflo
ZRH-EDI is WK. LX number is just codeshare.

Rule of thumb for LX/WK: if flight has a WK number, then it's a WK flight with a LX codeshare.
General rule of thumb for LX: if flight number is above 3000, it's not a "proper LX flight"
General rule of thumbs: the airline with the lowest flight number is the operating airline (there might be exceptions, but I don't know any)

For ZRH-EDI: e.g. WK292 vs LX8292
Flight has WK flight number, LX flight number is above 3000, WK flight number is lower than LX --> all three rule of thumbs allude that it's not a "proper" LX flight, but a codeshare --> it's a WK and not a LX flight --> it's not a *G flight --> *G benefits don't apply (still some of them like priority boarding are still offered)
This summary is absolutely fantastic, thanks so much for sharing it…very helpful indeed.
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:08 am

Programs: A3*G, FB plat, BA silver, Hilton diamond, IHG diamond
Many thanks aflo
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:46 am

To clearify: the "LX 8000-8499"-Rule is only valid for Miles-and-More Members. WK-Flights booked as those LX-Numbers offer all Miles-and-More benefits.
For other *G those flights are like any other (non) *A Codeshare.

And as always, you have some exceptions (for e.g. AC Aeroplan Members can use their Status on quite a Lot of non-*A-airlines) - but those are not valid for us A3-Members.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
After the route adjustments 3 weeks ago LH moved me at my request from a cancelled 4Y flight to LH and A3. So now I‘m good as *G.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.