Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

New rules for ATH Intra Schengen lounge access for A3G + non gold companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2023, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G

I have just received this email which is a bit meh.

We have come into an agreement with Goldair Handling Lounge to secure additional capacity and therefore, effective May 12th 2023, our Gold members who fly together with a non-Gold travel companion (guest) will be hosted at the Goldair Handling Lounge. Our Lounge personnel will always be available to guide you and assist in any way.
As a token of our appreciation for your understanding, we offer to all Gold members, 200 extra award miles for all domestic flights from Athens, and 500 extra award miles for all flights from Athens to an international Intra Schengen destination.

Reactions?
Old May 11, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
I found this bit of the email interesting:

However, in the Intra Schengen Area, the pandemic delayed the expansion plans of the Athens International Airport, that would give us the opportunity to acquire the extra space we need to increase our Lounge capacity. This has resulted to significant capacity issues, especially at the pick-hours of the day. Soon, we will be given the prospect from Athens International Airport and we will expand our premises in this area as well.

Sounds a bit insane they might need to build yet another lounge, but honestly it might be a good opportunity once it's all done that Aegean might get two lounges intra-Schengen at Athens! (One can hope)
Old May 11, 2023, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jumpallover
I have just received this email which is a bit meh.

We have come into an agreement with Goldair Handling Lounge to secure additional capacity and therefore, effective May 12th 2023, our Gold members who fly together with a non-Gold travel companion (guest) will be hosted at the Goldair Handling Lounge. Our Lounge personnel will always be available to guide you and assist in any way.
As a token of our appreciation for your understanding, we offer to all Gold members, 200 extra award miles for all domestic flights from Athens, and 500 extra award miles for all flights from Athens to an international Intra Schengen destination.

Reactions?
For me it would be rather interesting to know until when this measure will apply. Luckily we can still use the LH lounge with a companion but I assume this will be crowded too considering its size.

Also an update: Silver members won't be able to use their lounge coupons for the A3 Intra-Schengen lounge from May 12.
KATERGOO and giorginho like this.

Last edited by nikolask; May 11, 2023 at 8:51 am
Old May 11, 2023, 8:42 am

1. Will everyone get 200/500 extra miles or only those who go to the goldair lounge with their companion?
2. Very poor communication from Aegean, sent an email about policy change, when said policy will take effect in ~8 hours.
3. The new policy only applies to A3 Gold from what it seems, so A3 is treating *A Gold better than their own program.
4. No timeline about when they will restore the old rules.
5. I less worried they will increase the miles requirement for reaching/renewing gold status. I was almost certain they were going to go with 36k miles for reaching / 18k miles for renewing Gold status starting next year, but it seems they decided to increase the lounge space instead. Anyone who used A3 lounge knows its always packed.

Last edited by Flyer1F1; May 11, 2023 at 8:56 am
Old May 11, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by nikolask
For me it would be rather interesting to know until when this measure will apply. Luckily we can still use the LH lounge with a companion but I assume this will be crowded too considering it's size.

Also an update: Silver members won't be able to use their lounge coupons for the A3 Intra-Schengen lounge from May 12.
I've only visited the LH lounge once, it was pretty bad from what I remember. They weren't even offering water. I suspect the Goldair one will probably be better.
KATERGOO likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 8:44 am

On the same issue, an update on the A3 SILVER status holders:
The lounge coupons are no longer valid for any Athens lounge. They may only be used at SKG or LCA.

Correction: They are no longer valid for any INTRA Schenghen lounge, they are still valid for the EXTRA Schenghen lounge. (thanks @ariadgr_)
KATERGOO and nk15 like this.

Last edited by lgts; May 12, 2023 at 6:46 am Reason: correction
Old May 11, 2023, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Flyer1F1
3. The new policy only applies to A3 Gold from what it seems, so A3 is treating *A Gold better than their own program.
Honestly, this is the part I like the least. Is it because they control what they can do on their Golds and cannot deny entry to other *A Golds?
Old May 11, 2023, 8:54 am

Honestly, this is the part I like the least. Is it because they control what they can do on their Golds and cannot deny entry to other *A Golds?
They can probably deny entry. In the past when other lounges were under construction other *A airlines gave me a check worth 20Euros/20$ to spend in airport stores. Though in those cases entry was denied to all passenger, regardless of the program.

My understanding is that whenever a *A passenger uses the A3 lounge, the other *A airline pays A3 some money (e.g. 15 Euros per passenger, no idea about the actual amount). So Aegean does not want to block that revenue stream.
KATERGOO and jumpallover like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Could it be about limiting access to M+B members who can get in on OA routes?

That's not a huge amount though given OA-numbered routes are on turboprops... unless they're going to bring back OA numbers for all domestic Greek (and Cypriot) routes.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by lgts
On the same issue, an update on the A3 SILVER status holders:
The lounge coupons are no longer valid for any Athens lounge. They may only be used at SKG or LCA.
Wrong.
They are no longer valid for any Athens INTRA Schenghen lounge.
They are still valid for the Athens EXTRA Schenghen lounge.
KATERGOO, AurelAF96 and giorginho like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:54 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If the Goldair lounge is anything like the standard of the one that used to be in the extra-Schengen area before the redevelopment, then it is unquestionably an enormous downgrade. It would regularly feature in lists of "worst BA third party lounge", and that's pretty stiff competition if you've ever visited the old one at RAK!

The reason for doing this is bound to be highly speculative.

Either you view it as creating more space so as not to have to deny anyone admittance on capacity grounds (it would be particularly embarrassing for A3 to turn away one of its own Gold members or Business Class passengers because the lounge was full of guests), and therefore conclude that the airline was acting favourably towards its customers

or

You feel the airline is deliberately trying to discourage Gold members from bringing a guest, to the extent that the alternative is so sub-standard they won't bother and A3 will save some incidental F&B costs.

In practice, I expect guests will be allowed into the A3 lounge at non-busy times because that incidental F&B cost must still be considerably less than paying for two people to go to the Goldair lounge.

I'd probably be charitable at this stage in thinking this is the airline trying to help, but what happens in reality might well change that view!
KATERGOO likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:57 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
There’s now quite a big advantage in using upgrade vouchers/booking business class tickets if you value a superior ground experience at ATH.

Aegean’s e-mail seems hastily written with many grammar mistakes and incoherent sentences.

It seems like this was a last minute decision, even though A3 must have had a vague-to-clear idea of the number of status passengers and guests during peak (not pick) hours for weeks if not months now.

I’d say this doesn’t bode well for renewal tiers staying at their current levels for those who do A3 flights.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
I've only visited the LH lounge once, it was pretty bad from what I remember. They weren't even offering water. I suspect the Goldair one will probably be better.
😳😳😳 To me the LH lounge is much better than the Aegean lounge at ATH with a very large choice of food and drinks.
Actually, I was not allowed to enter last Monday. I was told admittance was only granted to LH, OS and Swiss passengers. I ended up in the Aegean lounge which was very busy (around lunch time).
roberto99 and yurtripper like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
I'm flying tomorrow with 4 people including myself (2 A3*G, 1*S , 1*Blue). I guess we will visit LH lounge together, then the Goldair lounge, drop my parents at the Goldair Lounge and visit the A3 lounge if that's what Aegean wants.
KATERGOO likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
The LH lounge is way better than the A3 zoo... booze selection is way better and food too.
roberto99, KATERGOO and yurtripper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.