Wiki Posts
Search

Receiving compensation in euros

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Receiving compensation in euros

Hello all,

Aegean has agreed to compensate me 325€ for baggage delay. I only have US bank accounts and they are apparently unable to transfer euros into these accounts (Chase, KeyBank). The bankers on my side of the pond have no idea why they aren’t able to complete the transfer and Aegean tells me that the transfers are returned marked “account closed.”

Has anyone gone through this experience?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by ccars2
Hello all,

Aegean has agreed to compensate me 325€ for baggage delay. I only have US bank accounts and they are apparently unable to transfer euros into these accounts (Chase, KeyBank). The bankers on my side of the pond have no idea why they aren’t able to complete the transfer and Aegean tells me that the transfers are returned marked “account closed.”

Has anyone gone through this experience?
No experience of your exact problem, but if I were you I would open some kind of prepaid debit card account. I use Wise - they've been around for years as TransferWise. When my clients need to make international payments it's so much simpler and cheaper (free!) and the payments arrive instantly. You can get a local account number for several countries or just stick to Euro. It's really fast, easy and cheap to convert between currencies. So I'd say get Aegean to pay you into a Wise account in Euro and then you can convert to USD and transfer to you own bank (or spend it directly from Wise with your virtual debit card). The Wise account opens instantly and then you just need to supply A3 with your IBAN. Take a look at the Wise website.
:D!, romans and giorginho like this.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Jan 4, 2023 at 6:25 am
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:10 pm

Just give your usual bank account number. when the euros reach your bank, your bank will convert them to dollars. most likely at a not-so-good rate, but given the amount, etc. that is probably the most cost effective way for you.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
You could open a free Wise account online and create a EUR bank account to take the cash then convert and transmit in USD, but as the above says, for the sake of 10-15 USD lost in commission it may not be worth the time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.