Community
Wiki Posts
Search

volunteer on probably overbooked flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

volunteer on probably overbooked flight

Don't get me wrong I am just interesting in your experiences (if there is any). I am on ATH-LIS (8. Oct) early morning fight where 1Y and 4C left (booked eco flex U class as a A3*G - part of mileage run DUB-ATH-LIS on one ticket all for 51€). I am thinking about volunteer (if needed) to take maybe evening flight instead of. I will have a plenty of time that day. Any experiences, if volunteers are welcomed for Aegean Airlines and if you have already did this what did you receive for that beside of take another flight? Experiences? bless
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
They usually offer the same as they have to pay as compensation if they deny you boarding, which equals to €250. I've never heard of going higher than the minimum required by EC261. If nobody volunteers they just strand a passenger. What I think might be negotiable at the check-in/gate is to ask for a goodwill upgrade for your next flight. The supervisor might approve this easier if they also see you're a Gold status holder.
romans and Harper50505 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
They usually offer the same as they have to pay as compensation if they deny you boarding, which equals to €250. I've never heard of going higher than the minimum required by EC261.
I've mentioned this elsewhere, a couple of years ago my wife and I were offered 400€ each plus re-routing just a couple of hours later (destination would change to Frankfurt instead of Düsseldorf, or we'd have to take the flight on the following day) and a free ticket each. But the flight has to be actually overbooked.
unusualtravelblog and romans like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by giorginho
I've mentioned this elsewhere, a couple of years ago my wife and I were offered 400€ each plus re-routing just a couple of hours later (destination would change to Frankfurt instead of Düsseldorf, or we'd have to take the flight on the following day) and a free ticket each. But the flight has to be actually overbooked.
Yes that's in accordance to the EC261 rules.

It is 250€ for overbooking on a flight with distance <1500km, €400 for 1500-3500km distance and €600 for >3500km.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n-overbooked-1

All the additional benefits they give are "goodwill extras".
romans likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:32 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Airlines are actually very, very good at judging availability and we now see - across the industry - very few instances where passengers are denied boarding in totality, with perhaps downgrades being more likely (and then compensation is then directly related to the flight cost, which is usually much less of a disincentive than paying out the flat rate of 250/400 Euros). Particularly in Europe, on aircraft with a moveable curtain, it's not terribly difficult for an airline to create more seats by turning a row of 4 into a row of 6 by expanding the Y cabin at the cost of the J one.

As it stands, with not long until the flight, it seems there are still 5 seats available for sale. If Y sells out then some lucky people will get bumped to J.

The airline will also know there are very likely no-shows on the day, or business travellers who'll change travel date close in, and they'll have taken that into account with their calculations.

If you're counting on a full flight to try and negotiate some money for "helping out", then you'll more likely than not be disappointed.
KATERGOO, romans and giorginho like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Yes that's in accordance to the EC261 rules.

It is 250€ for overbooking on a flight with distance <1500km, €400 for 1500-3500km distance and €600 for >3500km.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n-overbooked-1

All the additional benefits they give are "goodwill extras".
I agree, but you previously wrote 250€ for the ATH-LIS flight, which is obviously much longer than 1500km​​​​​​.
romans likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by giorginho
I agree, but you previously wrote 250€ for the ATH-LIS flight, which is obviously much longer than 1500km​​​​​​.
My bad, you're right. I wasn't clear enough
romans likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I also seriously doubt that this will happen, and on a random October Saturday....If there is any chance of that it will be around holidays, and specifically the end of them, and when everyone is rushing back to work.

I would say the last 5 days of August up to US labor day in early Sept, and January 1-5 are probably the most likely times for overbookings...

If I had to pick one time of the year that has the highest chance of overbooking, it will be Labor day weekend in September on any of the 6+ daily US flights from ATH back to the US. I have witnessed a bunch of overbookings and they were paying more than $1k.

For Europe, probably Greek Easter weekend would be the busiest time, is my guess.

Last edited by nk15; Sep 23, 2022 at 8:33 pm
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
I also seriously doubt that this will happen, and on a random October Saturday....If there is any chance of that it will be around holidays, and specifically the end of them, and when everyone is rushing back to work.

I would say the last 5 days of August up to US labor day in early Sept, and January 1-5 are probably the most likely times for overbookings...

If I had to pick one time of the year that has the highest chance of overbooking, it will be Labor day weekend in September on any of the 6+ daily US flights from ATH back to the US. I have witnessed a bunch of overbookings and they were paying more than $1k.

For Europe, probably Greek Easter weekend would be the busiest time, is my guess.

if all seats zeroed I will ask a3 (whether overbooked or not) and will report here don’t take it much serious it’s just interesting topic and also quite interested what will really happens… expecting anything. and btw seems to all ath-lis flights are heavily booked because not flying everyday so doesn’t matter if holiday or not…
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by nk15

Just as a data point: end of May and mid September were two instances where I encountered A3 being overbooked flying from BRU. At the check-in there was a paper written "looking for volunteers". I couldn't volunteer because I was on the flight to SKG and overbooking was on the flights to ATH.
romans likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:35 pm

Keep in mind that in some cases they might already be looking for volunteers during checkin, esp. if you are close to the deadline. That has happened more usually in ATH. So it never is a bad idea to show up at the check-in desk and ask.
romans likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
I volunteered once on a milage run.

I was offered EU261 (400e) plus a free flight and alternative routing. In reality, the free flight is a free sector not a trip, valid 12 month and taxes payable IIRC, which is largely useless as you'd need to buy 1 sector and so you save maybe 60e. The 400e was annoyingly on a pre-loaded credit card. but ok, I had time, got a night in a nice hotel in Athens and some online shopping. Never used the free sector.
nk15 and romans like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OttoMH
I volunteered once on a milage run.

I was offered EU261 (400e) plus a free flight and alternative routing. In reality, the free flight is a free sector not a trip, valid 12 month and taxes payable IIRC, which is largely useless as you'd need to buy 1 sector and so you save maybe 60e. The 400e was annoyingly on a pre-loaded credit card. but ok, I had time, got a night in a nice hotel in Athens and some online shopping. Never used the free sector.
that's fine : )
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:02 am

For a ~3,300km flight they offered:
  • 400 EUR
  • A ticket in the next available flight to the destination (next morning)
  • 1 night hotel stay
  • 1 voucher for a free Aegean flight (I assume you still have to pay the airport taxes, the voucher covers just the fee).
nk15, jumpallover, romans and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Diamond
I'm assuming there is no way to indicate in advance that I wish to volunteer, right? Has to be done at the airport check in only? As far as I remember - unless something has changed - if the flight is indeed overbooked the A3 online check in would not prompt you to volunteer (like in some other airlines where it does)

Anyone know if being A3*G would give me any priority in case there are several volunteers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.