Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bid-for-upgrade fare class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
Bid-for-upgrade fare class

I don't fly A3 very often, but ended up booking a flight, then bidding for upgrade. My upgrade was confirmed and I moved from P fare to I fare (business).

However, this fare class seems not to be listed as a mileage earning fare on UA Mileage Plus (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html, my primary program), whereas the original P fare was (at least, partially). I find this slightly odd.

Any clues?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold, *A Gold
Milleage accrual to any FF program, when upgraded, will be according to the original booking class, not the upgraded.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:48 am

you will receive original booking class code miles (eco P). no upgraded.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
Originally Posted by Tragedie_v_JZD
Milleage accrual to any FF program, when upgraded, will be according to the original booking class, not the upgraded.
Originally Posted by romans
you will receive original booking class code miles (eco P). no upgraded.
Thanks for clarifying; in the past (but not on A3), most of my bid upgrades (on LH, for instance) would credit according to the new fare. So let's see what happens on this one.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by vip66
Thanks for clarifying; in the past (but not on A3), most of my bid upgrades (on LH, for instance) would credit according to the new fare. So let's see what happens on this one.
you mixed it. Lh is another case…
giorginho likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:41 am

jus make sure u input ua number,mayb mile will clock in
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:21 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Lufthansa upgrades to paid fare classes (e.g. Z, D, C). Aegean does not, they upgrade only to a non-earning class normally used for free award flights (I-class). This means that with Aegean there is much less availability for upgrades, but on the flipside with LH the upgrade price is dynamic and may be (very) high depending on the fare class you will be upgraded into.

When flying non-earning classes it is typically possible to request earning based on the previous (earning) economy fare. The crediting may not be automatic though. You may have to talk to UA to get it credited properly (as P).
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Lufthansa upgrades to paid fare classes (e.g. Z, D, C). Aegean does not, they upgrade only to a non-earning class normally used for free award flights (I-class). This means that with Aegean there is much less availability for upgrades, but on the flipside with LH the upgrade price is dynamic and may be (very) high depending on the fare class you will be upgraded into.
Does anybody have recent experience with LH upgraded fare classes?

I have an upcoming 11.5 hour Premium Eco (E) flight with work and would be happy to bid 500 USD to upgrade it on my own ticket. However, I'm in big need of the miles with A3 this year and I don't want to end up in the Punish fare class. WHat will it become if my bid is selected?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by OttoMH

I have an upcoming 11.5 hour Premium Eco (E) flight with work and would be happy to bid 500 USD to upgrade it on my own ticket. However, I'm in big need of the miles with A3 this year and I don't want to end up in the Punish fare class. WHat will it become if my bid is selected?
2 cases: if you won the bid, you might be upgraded to Z class (happened recently to few pax, more in LH forum) or if still into P, from my past experience I was able to retro-claim E class after P class was not credited automatically.
OttoMH likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:23 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by OttoMH

I'm doing upgrades on LH Group quite often and they always credit as business class to Eurobonus, so I assume there should be no problem with credit to Aegean either, since LH Group seems to be sending FFPs information with the revenue booking class.

Anyway, I have a question of my own. When do bids usually clear? The T&Cs mention window between 24 and 72 hours. Is it normal for upgrades to clear at the 24 hours mark or close to it? The reason why I'm asking is because if I get upgraded (which I think I have good chance of), I'd also like to preorder my meal, which I believe can be done up to 24 hours before departure.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Well that would be a problem in case of fare class P. Because that is a paid business class fare that earns 0 miles with Aegean.

In my experience the bid-for-upgrades clear around 4-5 days before departure.

Edit: Last month when I used this I received the email about being upgraded on the 13th at 10AM, for a flight on the 17th at noon.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I do not upgrade from LH PE, due to the very real threat of the dreaded P class.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by the810
Anyway, I have a question of my own. When do bids usually clear? The T&Cs mention window between 24 and 72 hours. Is it normal for upgrades to clear at the 24 hours mark or close to it? The reason why I'm asking is because if I get upgraded (which I think I have good chance of), I'd also like to preorder my meal, which I believe can be done up to 24 hours before departure.
Can confirm the experience of Xandrios. My Bids cleared 4 to 5 days in advance and meal preoder was still possible.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:17 am

a bit off-topic but can you remember if your bids, confirmed days before departure were higher amount or something equals minimum?
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by romans
a bit off-topic but can you remember if your bids, confirmed days before departure were higher amount or something equals minimum?
I was quite lucky - always minimum 😁
romans likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.