Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aegean name change fee - normal?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 5:59 am

IATA protocol is to allow up to 3 typos. Don't waste your time as this is common and never a problem.
-Heathcliff- likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Given the high prices charged in the Canadian domestic market, I'm not surprised!
Air North has generally very reasonable prices - and they include free checked luggage (even 2 pieces on their B737-routes). Sometimes the entire ticket is cheaper than what Air Canada or WestJet would charge you in luggage fees only.
Also there are free softdrinks, free snacks, a free warm cookie, and on the long routes to Ontario even free meals. And it's good stuff, even sold frozen in local supermarkets or directly from the Air North kitchen.

Generally, they treat all customers like Gold members.

There are many issues with airlines in Canada, but Air North is different. You should try it sometime. Their Connector Fare is unbeatable.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
If by "a ticket" you mean 1 ticket (one reservation anyway for the whole trip), then you're getting back everything minus 20 Euros (so 113 Euros back). However, while it is highly likely, there's no guarantee that award space (in case there isn't already any available) will open up again after you cancel (most likely scenario is, that it will take a few minutes or even a couple of hours for award availability to appear again, but in very rare cases it may not open up at all). I'd still try to sort it out with the airline(s) first...
I called them back
This time they found out that I was talking about an award ticket so there's only a 20€ penalty. But they told me the same that they don't guarantee the same ticket after cancelation.
And thinking of its high season now and the price of the new ticket is 800-1000€, I consider keeping the one.
I managed to contact Turkish at Athens through mail since their telephones are shut down permanently. They replied quick and suggested me to add a note from their system in the ticket explaining the misspelling. Additionally, my friend will text me 3 hours earlier if any problem occurs so at least I will be able to cancel the ticket and look for alternative dates.
So if you redeem miles with Aegean make sure everything is correct as they don't allow any kind of change after booking, this is clear
​​​
Old May 20, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I tried explaining it was just one letter. I tried the, I caught it within minutes...and even tried I'm *A Gold. She just kept repeating I must charge you. No common sense applied. Shame that. Aegean < RyanAir ;-)
Well... you made a mistake and the airline allowed you to change your name later after the booking. This is not commun and most airlines do not allow it. They do allow in a short period of time usually after booking and for very small mistakes. Try with RyanAir next time and you will report, I'm pretty sure you will find the A3 service is way better. You paid 20 euros to learn, way better than losing your whole ticket value.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by erik123
IATA protocol is to allow up to 3 typos. Don't waste your time as this is common and never a problem.
Yep, but it's a recommendation. Airlines can get their own policy. Best thing to do in such case is to contact them ASAP and check with them. The later the worst and end of the day 20 euros penalty vs waste of a full ticket...
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:03 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
I just made this mistake with a typo, what I found interesting is on the final page your name DOES NOT appear. I went to go check my spelling as I usually do but it is nowhere to be found on the payment page, and there is no way to go back without starting over. I took the chance of course I had a typo. If they aren't going to let you make changes like that within 24 hours of booking their website should at least confirm everything before you hit pay.

Edit: I went back and redid the whole reservation just to trace, your name only appears on the very first page, so if you make a typo there, they never confirm the names of the passengers again. You go through four pages - seats, bags, extras, payment and names do not appear. The website also does not let you go back, it causes a timeout error if you hit the back button and there is no go back option on the site.

I stand by my original statement that they need to give you a chance to make changes within 24 hours if they are going to have a website that does not confirm details prior to booking.
bellerophontes likes this.

Last edited by A4K; Sep 1, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:56 pm

Since I realized that Aegean's fare rules regarding this matter haven't been shared here yet, here they are...
https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/fare-rules/
(section 5)
​​​​NAME CHANGE POLICYThe ticket is a personal document and cannot be transferred to another person.

Any change of name is allowed only in the following cases, always subject to the provision of an official document, either as an original or by fax or email, proving the correct name.
  1. If the reservation was made with the surname of one spouse instead of the other or vice versa.
  2. If there was an error in the entry of the name with Latin characters, e.g. MPAMPIS instead of BABIS.
  3. If the passenger has two names, and only one was entered during the reservation process.
  4. If there is confusion regarding the name and surname, e.g. GEORGE/PAPADOPOULOS instead of PAPADOPOULOS/GEORGE.
  5. If there were mistyping errors for up to three characters maximum in First or Family name for tickets on international itineraries.
  6. If ticketed infant re-associated to adult with different Family name. For example, PAPADOPOULOY/MARIA/INF needs to be associated to PAPADOPOULOS/NIKOLAOSMR.
  7. Diminutives (i.e. Tom iso Tomas, Jon iso Jonathan, Giota iso Panagiota, etc.): If reservation was created under the diminutive and not the full name.
  8. Middle names (in many countries passengers have also middle names): If passenger forgot to include the middle name in the booking.
There is a name change fee of €20 for the aforementioned changes. In the event of a fare/tax difference, the corresponding amount will be charged normally.

For codeshare flights, name changes are not allowed.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:28 pm

Maybe it's easier to be more careful when you type the names before you hit the next page button.
irishguy28, romans and giorginho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.