Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Will Aegean introduce a lifetime elite status qualification method?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021 | 5:56 am
Original Poster
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Ever since Aegean phased in a requirement to retain A3*G status, I have been curious when/if Aegean would introduce a way to achieve lifetime A3*G status.

Has Aegean ever said anything about potentially introducing a lifetime status benefit for long-term A3*Gs?
Old Jul 9, 2021 | 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB
I don't think its a viable option for A3 to do this.
Dan72, Xandrios and :D! like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021 | 2:52 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
30 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Looking at how incredibly easy it is to maintain status (and therefore, how little Aegean would earn from that) I would agree with djjaguar64. Are there any *A programmes that do offer lifetime status? Would the alliance even allow this as it 'waters down' the elite pool with potential non-frequent-flyers?
Old Jul 10, 2021 | 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For such a minor minnow player I highly doubt it.
Old Jul 10, 2021 | 4:49 am
Original Poster
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
For such a minor minnow player I highly doubt it.
Aegean used to have a de facto lifetime elite status: qualify once, keep account active and status remained indefinitely.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Looking at how incredibly easy it is to maintain status (and therefore, how little Aegean would earn from that) I would agree with djjaguar64. Are there any *A programmes that do offer lifetime status? Would the alliance even allow this as it 'waters down' the elite pool with potential non-frequent-flyers?
For starters this month: SAS, United, Lufthansa all have lifetime *Gs whom I know to have lifetime *G status. EgyptAir also has lifetime elites, but they may have put a cap on that for new ones since.
Arrivals likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 10, 2021 at 4:54 am
Old Jul 10, 2021 | 10:37 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Ever since Aegean phased in a requirement to retain A3*G status, I have been curious when/if Aegean would introduce a way to achieve lifetime A3*G status.

Has Aegean ever said anything about potentially introducing a lifetime status benefit for long-term A3*Gs?
They are not stupid. Why to do something like that?
Old Jul 10, 2021 | 1:52 pm
Original Poster
Suspended

Originally Posted by powergean
They are not stupid. Why to do something like that?
Until around 7 years ago, Aegean elite status was provided on a basis that had the elite status remain indefinitely without expiration for active elite status accounts. Was Aegean stupid then?
Old Jul 10, 2021 | 2:03 pm

Until around 7 years ago, Aegean elite status was provided on a basis that had the elite status remain indefinitely without expiration for active elite status accounts. Was Aegean stupid then?
No, but time is changing. With 6-9 euro lowcost ticket prices, they can not keep people gold without flying and paying.
Old Jul 10, 2021 | 11:37 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
With 6-9 euro lowcost ticket prices, they can not keep people gold without flying and paying.
Routes? Dates???
Old Jul 11, 2021 | 10:15 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Routes? Dates???
Check Ryanair, Wizzair, Volotea websites! :-)
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 2:18 am
Original Poster
Suspended

Check Ryanair, Wizzair, Volotea websites! :-)
Since when do those airlines’ websites sell A3 flights?

Those LCC airlines’ flights can’t even be credited toward getting A3 elite status; and at least two of those above three mentioned airlines were around for years even before A3 stopped with its de facto lifetime elite status practice.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 4:53 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Since when do those airlines websites sell A3 flights?

Those LCC airlines flights cant even be credited toward getting A3 elite status; and at least two of those above three mentioned airlines were around for years even before A3 stopped with its de facto lifetime elite status practice.
https://newsroom.aviator.aero/volote...avel-restarts/

Who knows
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 4:59 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ranskis
Their flights do not earn miles with Miles&Bonus, as can be seen on the booking engine. Also, no status benefits as far as I can see.

Old Jul 12, 2021 | 9:06 am
Original Poster
Suspended

Originally Posted by ranskis
Good to know, but can you kindly point us to 6-9 euro tickets that are good toward earning Aegean status?

For what it's worth, I have been finding it costs substantially more money to earn A3 miles from flying in more recent years than it cost several years ago (and before) when Aegean elite status was a "earn it once and keep it indefinitely" thing.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 11:02 am
5 Years on Site

For what it's worth, I have been finding it costs substantially more money to earn A3 miles from flying in more recent years than it cost several years ago (and before) when Aegean elite status was a "earn it once and keep it indefinitely" thing.
Which is exactly what Aegean wanted (to raise their revenues) to achieve by terminating lifetime gold memberships and this was the point of powergean's post, but you completely missed it. The point being that if you had secured lifetime gold status then you'd definitely book those 6-9 Euro tickets that have nothing to do with Aegean or miles&bonus over let's say a 60 Aegean ticket, whereas without lifetime gold you'd be "motivated" (or call it forced) to book the more expensive Aegean ticket in order to maintain status. That post (I'm referring to #8) never implied that you would gather Aegean miles by flying a LCC, or at least that much was clear to me.
And I don't know about the costs of gold 10 years ago, but in 2020 I got those 12.000+ miles (and segments needed) for around 230, which included flights in business class. Was it doable cheaper than that at any time in the past?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.