Search

Any consequences to a chargeback?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:31 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Any consequences to a chargeback?

I booked a ticket with miles over the phone since the online tool wasn't working. The agent misspelt my name, and so the ticket had to be canceled and reissued 10 mins later. I was told I'd get a full refund for the initial ticket. A month later, my card has been charged twice; I haven't yet received the refund; and my statement is coming due. My first call to A3 had the agent tell me it would take a month to process; my call today had the agent tell me it'd take 4 months from the date of the request to receive any refund. My inclination is just to do a chargeback of the first transaction. Is there any reason I shouldn't?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None. You are due a refund of the charge and it has not been initiated in a reasonable time. Just make certain that you properly document the chargeback and do everything in writing.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:10 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Well...do we know how Aegean reacts to such 'forced' refund? Theoretically they could audit and/or close your account for example - causing you to lose your miles. There is very little that you can do if they would decide to go such route (besides entering into a costly legal dispute).
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Your cc won't do it, without you proving that you asked them to resolve the issue.

So you have to mail/write them to show that to the cc guys to get a chargeback. Wich will trigger a3 to proces it.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:50 am
Suspended

OP:

1. Don't be put off by fear-mongering. There is not one shred of evidence that A3 will do anything. There are thousands of pandemic-related chargebacks and not one reported report of any form of retaliation (which would be incredibly stupid for A3 to engage in, if it could.

2. While writings are always better, you have made two direct attempts to obtain a refund and A3 has told you that you are due a refund. Thus, this is not a dispute about whether a refund is due. You are presumably a Canadian card holder and it is highly unlikely that either your issuer (bank) or A3's merchant acquirer will fight about this unless your facts are wrong.
johnirvine likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
you have made two direct attempts to obtain a refund and A3 has told you that you are due a refund. Thus, this is not a dispute about whether a refund is due
Which is precisely why a chargeback would now be inappropriate.

The refund is being processed. The indicated timeframe has not yet expired.

Chargebacks are not intended as a means of "speeding up" an agreed refund.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Don't be put off by fear-mongering. There is not one shred of evidence that A3 will do anything.
The OP asked about what could happen - and they could freeze your 'assets' with them. I do agree that we don't have any reports about A3 doing that (so far?), but we do have reports about other weird stuff that they have pulled (Freezing accounts for 'audit' reasons, and so on). It would not surprise me in the slightest if Aegean would do something like that.

Especially if A3 has accepted the claim there is really no reason to aggravate the situation by doing a chargeback. Unless the OP is in dire need of the cash, I would suggest just waiting it out. You can always still initiate a chargeback later if needed. But you know - that's just my opinion.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Not in Canada, the UK or US. If a refund is due and not promptly made, one can expect a prompt and simple resolution. There are, of course, exceptions. But, the vendor does not get to unilaterally set the timeframe for honoring its legal obligations.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:17 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Which is precisely why a chargeback would now be inappropriate.

The refund is being processed. The indicated timeframe has not yet expired.

Chargebacks are not intended as a means of "speeding up" an agreed refund.
Well the indicated time frame was a month, max, and it's been more than that. To your second point, see: visa chargeback reason code 13.6, i.e. credit not issued

Originally Posted by Xandrios
The OP asked about what could happen - and they could freeze your 'assets' with them. I do agree that we don't have any reports about A3 doing that (so far?), but we do have reports about other weird stuff that they have pulled (Freezing accounts for 'audit' reasons, and so on). It would not surprise me in the slightest if Aegean would do something like that.

Especially if A3 has accepted the claim there is really no reason to aggravate the situation by doing a chargeback. Unless the OP is in dire need of the cash, I would suggest just waiting it out. You can always still initiate a chargeback later if needed. But you know - that's just my opinion.
It's not a huge $ value, so I could float it, but I tend towards Often1's point below. The problem with waiting too long to charge back is that you have ~90 days from the purchase date to do so. My compromise is that I'll probably just contact them through the website and give them another 2 weeks to resolve it.
Not in Canada, the UK or US. If a refund is due and not promptly made, one can expect a prompt and simple resolution. There are, of course, exceptions. But, the vendor does not get to unilaterally set the timeframe for honoring its legal obligations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.