FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Aegean’s non refund policy for COVID cancelled flights illegal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/2022739-aegean-s-non-refund-policy-covid-cancelled-flights-illegal.html)

flyertalker0039345 Aug 29, 2020 7:36 am

They are not close to bankruptcy, but if you're afraid you'll lose your money why don't you just chargeback through your card issuer? That way you'll get your money 100%.

Often1 Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am

Originally Posted by progol (Post 32637755)
FYI - I just received notice that my October flight on Aegean was canceled. In the email and on the website, the voucher appears to be the only option. However, after several attempts to contact Aegean by phone, I finally got through and was able to request a refund. But they are very clear that the process to refund it may take 3-6 MONTHS!

Since I’m not planning a trip to or through Greece right now, and was willing to accept a voucher, anticipating that we would ask for a refund in a year from now, I went ahead and requested the refund. I figure it will come through when I’m finally booking travel again!

Why wait?

If your refund has not been initiated within 7 days, you should dispute the charge through your credit card issuer's chargeback process. Just make certain to document it fully and to do everything in writing. No reason for you to make interest-free loans to A3.

progol Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am

Originally Posted by atothepoweroftwo (Post 32637985)
They are not close to bankruptcy, but if you're afraid you'll lose your money why don't you just chargeback through your card issuer? That way you'll get your money 100%.

I don’t know if you were referring to me or to the other poster who wrote after me, but I’ve already done 2 chargebacks for tickets canceled this past spring and anticipate that I will need to do it for my overseas flight for this fall, so I’m being circumspect now when I use the dispute option. I may need to do it but I want to give it time to see if I will get it sooner than later.

johnirvine Aug 31, 2020 10:31 am

I have now received a refund of €197.76 for a cancelled redemption ticket. This was paid into a Cyprus bank account rather than being refunded to the credit card originally charged. The Aegean (gold card) agent was extremely friendly and apologised for the refund details being mishandled - it seems that there is now a very different attitude among Aegean staff handling refunds. On another refund due, I was informed that the ticket details had been lost and they promised to work on the matter and get back to me as soon as possible. The waiting time on the English-language telephone line was only one minute both times that I called. It is perhaps best to deal with one refund at a time to avoid confusion.

Grigoris Sep 25, 2020 5:35 am

My flight in December has been just cancelled, no notification yet, I've noticed it by chance.

AEGEAN Gold member call center (not nice experience at present) refuses to make re-route according to 261/2004.
Technically, it means almost the same departure time but two flights (A3+LH) instead of one (A3) direct flight.
Is it wrong to demand re-routing?

headingwest Sep 25, 2020 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Grigoris (Post 32699610)
My flight in December has been just cancelled, no notification yet, I've noticed it by chance.

AEGEAN Gold member call center (not nice experience at present) refuses to make re-route according to 261/2004.
Technically, it means almost the same departure time but two flights (A3+LH) instead of one (A3) direct flight.
Is it wrong to demand re-routing?

If they can't get you to your destination within 24 hours, then in normal times you are not wrong to demand re-routing. But during this pandemic anything goes!!!

Xandrios Sep 26, 2020 2:38 pm

From September 1st 261/2004 applies again for all Greek airlines. Having said that, even before the pandemic is was doubtful (and VERY difficult) to get re-routed onto another carrier more than 2 weeks out. If you have other options available to you I would try those - as that will likely save a lot of headache ;)

powergean Sep 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 32702641)
From September 1st 261/2004 applies again for all Greek airlines. Having said that, even before the pandemic is was doubtful (and VERY difficult) to get re-routed onto another carrier more than 2 weeks out. If you have other options available to you I would try those - as that will likely save a lot of headache ;)

untill 30 sept, Aegean is proteckted by the greek voucher law!

Often1 Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm

There is no requirement in EC 261/2004 for rerouting on other carriers. You may demand anything, but that does not mean that A3 will honor your request.

What would the new ticket cost you to purchase. You are certainly entitled to a refund of your existing A3 ticket and if the new ticket is about the same price (or even cheaper), I would go at it that way.

headingwest Sep 27, 2020 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32702699)
There is no requirement in EC 261/2004 for rerouting on other carriers. You may demand anything, but that does not mean that A3 will honor your request.

What would the new ticket cost you to purchase. You are certainly entitled to a refund of your existing A3 ticket and if the new ticket is about the same price (or even cheaper), I would go at it that way.

​​​​​​
This is wrong. EC261/2004 certainly does oblige the airline to provide alternative routing at the customer's request if the airline cannot provide their own flights within 24 hours of original time of arrival. Read the regulations in full.

A lot of people get confused with airlines' obligation to compensate and duty of care (if within the 14 day time period), but that doesn't get them off the hook if they cancel a flight and leave the passenger out of pocket. Why should I pay an extra, say, 150 EUR for an alternative carrier just because the airline decides to save money cancelling their own flight.

I got Aegean to rebook me on Turkish Airlines when they cancelled my flight. All it took was a message to remind them of their legal obligations (as above!).

That said, at the moment they will certainly squirm out of doing it, they have totally ignored EC261/2004 regarding refunds!

Grigoris Sep 27, 2020 6:24 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 32703374)
​​​​​​
That said, at the moment they will certainly squirm out of doing it, they have totally ignored EC261/2004 regarding refunds!

During my first conversation on Friday morning, the agent (a female) simply replied "don't tell me about European Law", when I was explaining what rights I have.
The second conversation on Friday evening, another agent was much more friendly. She marked my request as special one, so perhaps as an exception Aegean will consider again my request for re-routing.

Often1 Sep 27, 2020 8:46 am

I don't think that citing legal arguments to agents is helpful. Simply end the call politely and call back,

Grigoris Sep 28, 2020 2:27 am

The airline offered full refund. Still no option how I can fly home without paying extra quite a lot of money.

headingwest Sep 28, 2020 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Grigoris (Post 32705590)
The airline offered full refund. Still no option how I can fly home without paying extra quite a lot of money.

Send them a message with this link, pointing out that they are ignoring their legal obligations under Article 8, Section 1 (b) of EC261/2004.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261

''Passengers shall be offered a choice between'' means that it's your choice, not theirs!!

Grigoris Sep 28, 2020 2:58 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 32705601)
Send them a message with this link, pointing out that they are ignoring their legal obligations under Article 8, Section 1 (b) of EC261/2004.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...LEX:32004R0261

''Passengers shall be offered a choice between'' means that it's your choice, not theirs!!

I am still waiting, however it is getting complicated:

on 28.11 - flights from HOME to SKG via ATH (all AEGEAN/OLYMPIC) - one leg is changed, I can approve the change or refuse it
on 29.11 - SKG - ATH - also changed, also I should accept or not the change
on 2.12 - ATH - HOME - flight cancelled, no option to fly back

All above 3 tickets were paid by funds from one voucher, which still has some positive balance.

If I accept voucher for the flight on 2.12, I have to cancel also two other tickets.
In the end, I will end up with 4 vouchers. Crazy.
I will add that I paid AEGEAN this money in July 2019.