Miles for Medics

Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Miles for Medics

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has received this: https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...medical_staff/

C19 is a disease without any respect for borders and so I feel we need to honour our medics in the same way, people who are putting their lives at risk all over the globe deserve our help and and there's no room to be tribal so I'm very happy to donate miles for this cause.

I've never needed health care on my many visits to Greece though so perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can advise whether there's a better place to donate them too?

I'll pledge to donate 100 000 miles if someone will advise me.

I'll also say maybe we could be inspired by Captain Tom - if you haven't heard of him he's an old British soldier who is 100 in a few days and he set out to raise GBP 1000 for our NHS staff, he has now raised over GBP 14M and it's still rising! More about him here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...swalkforthenhs

Could we between us find 14M miles for medics in Greece to give them the break they so deserve?
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
118 views and not a single pledge. What a miserable lot of people you are. I hope none of you need a medic at the moment or any time soon.

I'll give 100 000 miles too.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
118 views and not a single pledge. What a miserable lot of people you are. I hope none of you need a medic at the moment or any time soon.

Did that make you feel better?

It is actually possible to donate miles without feeling the need to tell everyone.
Dan72, sokolov, NWIFlyer and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:38 pm

What I don't think is possible is to donate 100.000 miles! There is a limit and it is 50.000 :P
I already donated (not that many though). My first and third cousin are nurses ("unfortunately" only one of them works in one of the hospitals on the list, no idea why the hospital of the other one isn't on it).
By the way 14M probably won't be enough (Aegean will make that 42M and I would guess the number of staff in 17 hospitals would be a number much higher than 2100). The good thing is that so far over 121M have been accumulated, most hospitals already have enough miles for over 500 tickets, so that should be covering it more or less.
I only hope that, if by the looks of the total amount will be huge, Aegean will indeed give all the miles to the staff or return the miles proportionally to the donors if they decide to only give 20k to each of the staff members or even better just donate to more (all) hospitals...
Dan72 and Anubis13 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer

Mkay...

I dont have 100k in my account, take it down a notch.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
OP, thank you for letting us know of this great initiative!!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:29 am

Unless the website isn't functioning correctly on my phone, I think the initiative has been so successful (and so quickly), that Aegean has now reduced the maximum donation from 50.000 to 2500 miles (per hospital).
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:51 am

My computer works fine; copy-pasted from A3's site:
...{snip}...The minimum number of miles you can donate per hospital is 500 miles and the maximum is 50,000 miles per hospital...{snip}...
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:02 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Why are so many hospitals missing from the list? Are Covid-19 related cases not treated at local hospitals (serious question)? I was under the impression that they are.

Not everyone has the ability to donate a thousand euros worth of miles, nor does everyone feel the need to broadcast their donation to the world. Great that the OP, you and others donate such large amounts - thank you. But don't try to make others feel guilty about what they can or cannot give away.
NWIFlyer, :D!, headingwest and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:23 am

Gentlemen,
the purpose of a donation is to help people at your will and at the level you have the ability to do so. It was a very nice gesture from the OP and an even nicer from the donors who have gathered 132M so far. Let's not spoil the good purpose.
Now when you donate some services list your name or ask if you want to be listed or not, so you have the choice of recognition or not. Let's not criticize people without knowing, do not abuse the initiative for just arguing

I second that you can donate 50k miles.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Anubis13; Apr 18, 2020 at 5:43 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
My computer works fine; copy-pasted from A3's site:
Yeah, I just checked my PC as well and it wasn't my phone, they actually have reduced the max. amount to 2500.
This is what I was referring to (drop-down menus sometimes malfunction on mobile browsers, but not this time):
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
I'm a greek medic in the UK, currently off with COVID I contracted from work, more than happy to have miles or avios donated
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
The post above was a joke. I just donated to University Hospital of Ioannina, my alma mater. Please donate there or to Evangelismos
Xandrios likes this.

Last edited by DrHalxx; Apr 19, 2020 at 2:46 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Colour me sceptical. I'm not even a member of Miles & Bonus, and I keep getting these e-mails. I note on the webpage that "Each employee of the referral hospitals will get 20,000 miles, that can be redeemed any way they prefer". In other words, Aegean will give these miles away anyway, which is a very nice gesture (but really costs them practically nothing). I guess they want to flaunt their generosity and also decrease the liabilities in their books a little bit.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
... a very nice gesture (but really costs them practically nothing). I guess they want to flaunt their generosity and also decrease the liabilities in their books a little bit.
It doesn't cost "practically nothing", unless the miles lose their value. The liabilities do the exact opposite, they increase, because 66,66% of the miles to be donated did not even exist before and Aegean "generated" them (so Aegean, in one way or another, is, or will be, paying for them).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.