Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20 years AEGEAN…our journey continues!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

20 years AEGEAN…our journey continues!

A very young airline by most standards but a lot of good achievements during that time.

20 years!
Long enough to build an airline that takes us further every single day… still just the beginning for the great journeys yet to come.

''Today, 20 years since our first flight, we sincerely thank each and every one of you for all the moments you stood by our side.

Thank you for being part of our journey, for every time you chose our airline to discover Greece and the world, for every comment, message and feedback you shared with us to help make us better.

The future

Last edited by DELLAS; May 28, 2019 at 10:22 am
Old May 28, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
There appears to be a sale on. I’ve been watching some autumn flights between LHR and ATH and they dropped down by 20%
Old May 28, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: A3 *G
The artist impression of the A330 is quite worrying if it's come from some kind of official source. I really hope they're not seriously considering that any time soon. There's no point in re-hashing the arguments here, but the general consensus is that it would be financial suicide for A3 to expand into wide-bodies, either for European or long-haul flying.

Anyway, no need to be negative in a thread designed to celebrate A3's birthday. Well done and may you be around for another 20 years at least!

My first A3 flight was from Rhodes to Athens in December 1999 on one of the RJ100s, so the airline was just seven months old then. I remember sitting somewhere around 2D or 3D and being able to see clearly approach into the old Ellinikon airport through the open cockpit door as the RJ's had quite a nose-down attitude on approach. Nice memories, but 6-abreast in the RJ100 wasn't really comfortable. They had just four RJs at the time and I seem to remember they served around 10 domestic destinations. Does anybody have any old timetables or route maps from the first year or two?
East_and_West likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:34 am

I remember the RJs having 2+3 seats abreast. Anybody else with an opinion or good memory?
jannosk likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Some timetable images from 2002 :

Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Another interesting bit of info. From the legacy days of OA and the brand and its sub brands. Macedonian Airlines was registered in the early 90's and used for a while by OA for some of its Charter operations. When Olympic Air was launched by MIG they inherited the rights to that brand also. According to some sources Aegean now also hold the rights to use that brand in future if they so wish. Dont really see it making a come back as it has some political baggage atatched to it but the rights still are protected for use of the name.

Old May 29, 2019, 1:19 pm

The first routes were operated with 2 Avro RJ-100 (SX-DVA and SX-DVB) as follows (from my archive). Notice the almost identical flight numbers (except for the CHQ/HER which swapped). Also notice the 40/45 min. turn arounds for the AR1 (then still with 100 seats).

A3 first timetable

In September 99 and December 99 two more were delivered, followed by two more in Summer 00. By then they have also acquired Air Greece and they also had the 3 ATR72.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
I remember the RJs having 2+3 seats abreast. Anybody else with an opinion or good memory?
Yes I thought that too. I checked out some images via Google and found only 3+3 though. I guess they were reconfigured to that at some point.

Macedonian Airlines was registered in the early 90's and used for a while by OA for some of its Charter operations
The Macedonian 737-400s used to show up on scheduled 'leisure' routes too. I flew on SX-BMC twice in 2002 on MAN-ATH (OA278). The seating configuration was a lot tighter than the generous pitch of the Olympic 734s and (I believe) only economy class service was offered on that route (as it is today).

Thanks for the timetable information. I remember having a copy of that booklet Dellas has posted.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Initially all RJs were 2-3 config but I think every operator except I think Swiss changed them to 3-3 in the first five years.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
yeah! Me too 🙂
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:42 am

The ARJs were in 2-3 abreast till approx. 2007-2008.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by palcsaky
There appears to be a sale on. I’ve been watching some autumn flights between LHR and ATH and they dropped down by 20%
Correct. Details at 20 years AEGEAN! 50% discounts
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Is a3 going to expand further east using extended range narrow body?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
20 years AEGEAN - 20% extra miles on all flights

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...s-extra-miles/

I was wondering if this also applies to A3*Gs, who already get an extra 20%... Apparently it turns out it does, and cumulatively so, giving a total of 44% additional miles over the standard mileage. Well played A3! What a pity that half of my ARN-ATH-ARN flights this month are booked on SK...
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Yes - indeed, it's another 20% on the 120% you get already...
And I really regret it's not for July where I have about 4-5 flights lined up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.