Wiki Posts
Search

UA benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
UA benefits

As A3*G what do I get when flying economy basic on united? Do i get baggage and seat selection? Will I get full aegean mileage? Would you rather fly AA ? It's a LGA-CLE flight. I'm BA gold as well
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
As A3*G what do I get when flying economy basic on united? Do i get baggage and seat selection? Will I get full aegean mileage? Would you rather fly AA ? It's a LGA-CLE flight. I'm BA gold as well
No seat selection (since *G doesn't give seat selection). Miles by booking class.
I think you get 1 bag but am not sure.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:50 pm

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...onomy-faq.aspx try there.

The TLDR is seat selection is a no, normal carry on baggage yes and a free checked bag, you receive award miles 50% but not tier miles. United Club access too.

On AA seat selection would be at T-24, normal carry on and free checked bag (is it two for golds?). club access. not sure on mileage earnings.

Looks like the only difference is a small chance of avoiding a middle seat on AA and a very small amount of miles as at most you will be earning a tiny amount of TPs and 200 or so miles - book schedule and price I would argue in this case. it's short enough to survive in a middle seat as you won't be able to get an extra legroom seat anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Thanks everyone. I ended up paying 15000 avios and 8 quid instead of 250 dollars. Don't know if it was the right choice, but I now have peace of mind and an exit row seat on the ERD.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greenarmy
you receive award miles 50% but not tier miles
This is the first I've heard of this. Can you confirm that Basic Economy fares do not receive Miles&Bonus Tier Miles on Trans-Atlantic flights?

There have been a lot of cheap fares to the USA recently, and not earning Tier Miles is a major consideration!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
Award chart hasn't changed since 2017. According to the chart. One class, Basic economy fares (N) earn only award miles.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DUBBRU
Award chart hasn't changed since 2017. According to the chart. One class, Basic economy fares (N) earn only award miles.
Yes, I was aware of that. But not all Basic Economy fares book into N class. Here is a screengrab from United's website. All the flights, including the TATL, book into K.

Has anyone who booked one of these fares only had Award Miles credited?

DUBBRU likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
I'm not aware how common are N bookings in UA, never flew a transatlantic with them tbh. 99% of the time I would fly EI from DUB.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:48 am

I would imagine most of the domestic Basic Economy fares book into N. For TATLs it's a different matter. Would be interested to know for sure that the TATLs do indeed credit as per the chart.

Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
I had domestic V and Q fared flights, TATL flights with M, V, W fares in the second half of 2018. All posted by the chart (50% for W, 75% for V, 100% for M and Q).
headingwest likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:24 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
I was booked in G for BE in december for domestic (50% miles) and got extra baggage allowance, priority boarding and lounge access (+1 guest) as A3*G, no issue there. Also I could choose many seats (normal ones were free of charge, for upfront and exit I could pay)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
This is the first I've heard of this. Can you confirm that Basic Economy fares do not receive Miles&Bonus Tier Miles on Trans-Atlantic flights?

There have been a lot of cheap fares to the USA recently, and not earning Tier Miles is a major consideration!

Yeah sorry I should have clarified it was N class specifically rather than the basic economy on the OPs itinerary - my experience would also suggest N class is used only for domestic basic economy tickets that do not contain an international leg. I have a basic economy tatl K class trip next month that I am very much hoping will credit with tier miles to Aegean !
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
I can confirm from several personal experiences that, for now at least, TATL BE fares on UA do indeed receive both award and tier miles as per the chart based on the fare class, i.e. K, L, etc. and not award miles only.
headingwest likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:07 pm

I recently got back from a trip with 4 UA flights, all in K class, and all crediting to M+B as usual.

My flight to Fort Walton Beach was delayed by 3 hours (from 9 pm to midnight). The fun really started when the pilot tried to land, got down to about 200 meters and decided it was best to abort due to the very thick fog. After diverting to Jacksonville (1.30 am arrival) we were left on the aircraft for 3 hours as there was no ground crew to assist. We were finally able to get into the terminal building but it took a further 4 hours for them to arrange a bus back to Fort Walton Beach - a 5 hour bus journey. My original ETA at VPS was 9.30 pm but didn't actually get there until after 1 pm the next day.

After numerous e-mails UA offered a $100 voucher, which I subsequently found out was only valid on UA flights and not codeshares. I fired off another e-mail and was told that they would credit 5,000 miles to my Aegean Miles+Bonus account instead, which seems quite reasonable to me.
GBobon and SK like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
As a United Silver do I get a free bag when flying Aegean airlines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.