Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATH-KLX-ATH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...
ATH-KLX-ATH

Hi,

I would like to reserve flights for this upcoming summer but can't find flights from Athens to Kalamata at all (last year I flew on this itinerary).
Do you know when and if they will publish these flights?
Thanks !
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Normally these would be loaded by now. Flights from KLX to MUC or SKG are available for the summer.

Since ATH-KLX operated in summer 2017 for the first time, and seemed to perform rather poorly, they may have discontinued it. The route to SKG is a PSO route so the government pays a big part of the costs, this may be the reason why that route is still being operated.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:49 am

With the new motorway this flight was on limited time without PSO now that KLX is well connected to Athens.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Plat, AF Gold, Cathay Emerald, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Sixt Plat, *wood Gold, Hilton Diamond, ...
When did the new motorway started?
Is it going to costa navarino or only to Kalamata?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Ruben5b
When did the new motorway started?
Is it going to costa navarino or only to Kalamata?
Kalamata, and it's finished (don't remember when they started construction, certainly several years ago)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:26 am

The motorway has finished a few years ago already. Goes via Corinth and Tripoli straight into Kalamata (passing the airport). Takes less than 3 hrs from Athens.

If you are heading to Costa Navarino I'd advise to rent a car and drive from Athens, or, if you are feeling adventurous - take the KTEL bus to Kalamata and rent a car from there. If you really need/want to fly you can route through SKG or another European hub (there are quite a few holiday charters the summer, eg from AMS). But in any case you'll still need a bit over an hour to drive from the airport to your resort (maybe the resort offers transfers?).
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
It takes about two hours to drive from Athens to Kalamata and then another hour for the final 45 km to Costa Navarino. The drive is very pretty once you get on the Peloponnese. It's also going to cost you roughly 15 Euro each way in tolls. Renting a car would also allow you to stop at some incredible archaeological sites along the way (Ancient Corinth, Ancient Messini, Nestor's Palace).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Ruben5b
Hi,

I would like to reserve flights for this upcoming summer but can't find flights from Athens to Kalamata at all (last year I flew on this itinerary).
Do you know when and if they will publish these flights?
Thanks !
ATH-KLX-ATH was loaded 1-2 months ago with mostly 20 euro! fares for the summer, I was about to book a bunch of them and then they cut it a few days later (I hate when they do that!). KLX is their guinea pig unfortunately, they load and cut routes at will, sometimes months later...

I wish they bring it back, it is one of the cheapest flights in the system, it beats any transport to KLX by far.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by nk15
ATH-KLX-ATH was loaded 1-2 months ago with mostly 20 euro! fares for the summer, I was about to book a bunch of them and then they cut it a few days later (I hate when they do that!). KLX is their guinea pig unfortunately, they load and cut routes at will, sometimes months later...

I wish they bring it back, it is one of the cheapest flights in the system, it beats any transport to KLX by far.
My goodness that's expensive - I remember the first time I did ATH-KLX it was on original Olympic and was 500 drachma!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by lhrpete
My goodness that's expensive - I remember the first time I did ATH-KLX it was on original Olympic and was 500 drachma!
That's a solid 1.5 euro fare there, lol.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by lhrpete
The good old days .....
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:41 pm

Also the fact ATH-KLX would be "operated by OA" if it did exist now. So, no mileage availability since OA is not in the Star Alliance.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:26 am

That depends on your FFP..most people here are member of Miles+Bonus, and would in fact earn miles. Not many, but the domestic flights are short anyway (and often very cheap).

It’s a pity they removed this flight though. I recently flew KLX-AMS and that was quite nice. It allows arriving at the airport close to departure, and (at least for me) KLX is much easier to get to than ATH!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by RUAMKZ
Also the fact ATH-KLX would be "operated by OA" if it did exist now. So, no mileage availability since OA is not in the Star Alliance.
Come off it!

There are miles aplenty to be had in Aegean Miles&Bonus (remember where you are posting!), and Aegean is definitely Star Alliance!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Come off it!

There are miles aplenty to be had in Aegean Miles&Bonus (remember where you are posting!), and Aegean is definitely Star Alliance!
Got a little bit hasty in posting it, after I saw the "magic city pair" of ATH-KLX. Too obsessed with the partner carriers, who can't accrue/redeem OA segments to their accounts, which is a bit frustrating.. Of course, no problem when you in the A3 program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.