Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORC claim (for UA flights): 15 day wait?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
ORC claim (for UA flights): 15 day wait?

Hi all,

I recently had some weather-related IRROPS on UA, with a Miles&Bonus FF number entered in the system. I am now trying to claim Original Routing Credit with A3.

When I called this morning I was told that I needed to wait 15 days after the flight because "the system is locked."

Is this correct or should I call again?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Yes, claiming miles via the helpdesk is generally only possible after 14 days. Only exception are Aegean operated flights (as far as I know).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will A3 allow one to claim original routing instead of flown routing?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWkid
Will A3 allow one to claim original routing instead of flown routing?
My understanding from previous threads on this subject is that this is the case, at least as long as your rerouting was involuntary. It's just that I hadn't read about the waiting period before.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
My understanding from previous threads on this subject is that this is the case, at least as long as your rerouting was involuntary. It's just that I hadn't read about the waiting period before.
No, thats wrong. A3 will credit the routing you flew at the end... They don't know the details if you've been rerouted voluntary or involuntary...

Therefor, if you want an ORC, you need to contact the operating carrier that rerouted you, in this case it seems to be UA... But there's no guarantee that UA will offer ORC to a foreign FFP...
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:26 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You can request it however you like. Personally I'd request it through A3 and let them contact UA - they have the formal links within the FFP departments and are better placed than an individual passenger to get things resolved.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

ok, thanks for all your advice. I will stick with A3 and wait the required 15 days.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:10 am

Just wanted to say that I have had a similar situation. My EWR-IAH-SEA flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Harvey and I was involuntarily rerouted.

I am now short of re-qualifying for A3*G for two reasons:

(1) Reservations rebooked me into G class (50% miles on A3 M&B) when it was originally ticketed in Q class (I specifically paid more to get 100% miles).

(2) EWR-SEA is shorter than EWR-IAH-SEA.

I've sent UA customer service an email but I'm not keeping my hopes up on this one. Any suggestions please?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by eriond
I've sent UA customer service an email but I'm not keeping my hopes up on this one. Any suggestions please?
UA can't do anything for you. You would need to contact Aegean, providing all supporting information and a short, factual letter.

I have no direct experience of claiming ORC from Aegean, but I've done it with lots of others and it's never been a problem. But you must ask the programme where you want the miles to end up, NOT the operator of the flights/seller of the ticket (if these are different entities).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I flew a lot more, AC always gave me the original routing for points if requested but more recently, they changed the rules to say that it will be based on actual flown.

I asked A3 if they had rules in this respect in writing and I couldn't get a straight answer. And through my research, I couldn't find anything that said either yay or nay.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

As an update of my own experience: after the two-week wait period and another call with Aegean I submitted an online claim.

It's nice to be able to check on the progress of the claim online. The status has been "awaiting partner approval for retrocredit" for a week now.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eriond
Just wanted to say that I have had a similar situation. My EWR-IAH-SEA flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Harvey and I was involuntarily rerouted.

I am now short of re-qualifying for A3*G for two reasons:

(1) Reservations rebooked me into G class (50% miles on A3 M&B) when it was originally ticketed in Q class (I specifically paid more to get 100% miles).

(2) EWR-SEA is shorter than EWR-IAH-SEA.

Thanks!
In the future if this happens you should ask them to put you in Q class. They are supposed to do that. I'm not sure how you ended up in G class because usually if they are being careless they will put you in Y class.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:04 pm
Community Director

As an update of my own experience: after the two-week wait period and another call with Aegean I submitted an online claim.

It's nice to be able to check on the progress of the claim online. The status has been "awaiting partner approval for retrocredit" for a week now.
Unless it's changed since I last had to do a retrocredit (which was through BD, so it's been a while): under *A's internal rules, UA has 14 days to respond to the request. If they fail to do so, A3 is allowed to force the credit through (i.e. make UA pay them so they can give you the miles in return). This probably will not happen unless you ring up and ask them to do it.

If UA does respond then effectively the time becomes infinite whilst you all argue about it ...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Unless it's changed since I last had to do a retrocredit (which was through BD, so it's been a while): under *A's internal rules, UA has 14 days to respond to the request. If they fail to do so, A3 is allowed to force the credit through (i.e. make UA pay them so they can give you the miles in return). This probably will not happen unless you ring up and ask them to do it.

If UA does respond then effectively the time becomes infinite whilst you all argue about it ...
That's good to know, thanks. I will give them another ring when the 14-day period is up.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:23 am
Community Director

That's good to know, thanks. I will give them another ring when the 14-day period is up.
You may want to understand exactly when A3 sent the request over - it'll be 14 days from then, not when you submitted it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.