Wiki Posts
Search

How to Prevent Miles Expiration?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
How to Prevent Miles Expiration?

I have about 16K miles and they expire in 22 days. I have no plans of Greece travel 9i wish), live in SoCal, but would like to keep these miles in hopes that I can use them someday. Is there an easy way for me to shop somewhere in the US to keep these miles from expiring? Even a small redemption is for stores in Greece.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:45 pm

I don't think award miles expire - https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/...etail/a_id/171
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:49 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Award miles are only lost if the account is closed due to inactivity - for a Blue member, that would be 48 months after the last flight credit.

If that's the position you're in, the only way to keep the account open is to credit a flight to M+B - crediting from a non-flight partner doesn't count.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:55 pm

In that case, what about the Lufthansa train?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by tazxxx
In that case, what about the Lufthansa train?
As of a thread in the LH forum, the train can now only be booked in conjunction with a flight.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:13 pm

If OP is based in SAN, then a quick UA roundtrip should do it (SAN-LAX-SAN; SAN-SFO-SAN), no?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Problem is I have no flights planned in next 5 days when they expire.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by kdinino
Just to be clear (because you're still talking about you miles expiring, which they don't) - is your Blue M&B account approaching the point where it will be closed due to inactivity?

If so, I think the only option you have is to find a friend or family member whom you trust and join their together account (they can create one if they are Silver or Gold and don't already have one). Then all your miles will be transferred to them and, hopefully, they can buy an award for you at a later date.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are in the same boat - we have about 23,000 miles as a Blue member and the accounts haven't been touched since 4 years ago. I'd love to use them for a Greece trip but nothing firm is planned. I am wondering if even registering for a promotion like this Santa Claus one will help?

Or if I spend say 3,600 miles on the fun park pass will this help?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
You could also trade them/give away on the FT coupon connection thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupon-connection-373/ .
Subject to your eligibility.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
My wife and I are in the same boat - we have about 23,000 miles as a Blue member and the accounts haven't been touched since 4 years ago. I'd love to use them for a Greece trip but nothing firm is planned. I am wondering if even registering for a promotion like this Santa Claus one will help?

Or if I spend say 3,600 miles on the fun park pass will this help?
As per earlier replies, you must fly and credit miles to your account to keep it alive.

(Not sure if you realised it, but the suggestion was to take a flight - any flight - for the sole purpose of keeping your account alive)
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

It seems buying the museum pass did the trick...i now see my account doesn't expire until 2018
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
It seems buying the museum pass did the trick...i now see my account doesn't expire until 2018
can share more about the museum pass?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:21 pm

yes, what's the museum pass?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:03 am

I've been told by several people that the rules changed, and now Aegean miles never expire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.