Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C class priority over *G at boarding?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Talking

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Whilst you are indeed correct and it's known and noted not only from a few members but also lurkers it actually would not surprise me as I have witnessed similar over the years. I would class it as a general dropping in manners globally when people fly these days and would not be so ignorant and arrogant to suggest its confined to a particular culture which of course it is NOT!
Where do you read that i complain about greece and greek? I'm currently in beautiful Corfu after few days in Rhodes and Athens... i travel enough and spend time in greece to proove that i love this country.

I guess the PAX was saying i'm Greek, like i'm local / i fly a lot this route, etc. But if you want we talk about this specific topic, you will notice that for years Greek airlines (and not the so true now) was really "pro greek" and all politicians or local celebrities was upgraded and get tons of advantages.

Right now we don't talk about this, we talk about the priority inside the priority line stuff.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 24, 2016 at 9:10 am Reason: Remove personalisation
Old May 25, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Tennen
Even though C and *G usually board together on A3, I think the woman and GA were technically correct. But only if the GA announced boarding just for C pax. Obviously, the "I'm Greek" comment was completely irrelevant.

IIRC, the priority boarding benefit only requires airlines to board *G before the rest of Economy. Perhaps the wording was along the lines of "with First and Business Class or immediately after, at the discretion of the gate" or something. Otherwise, AC and UA would be in violation, since they board premium cabin(s) in Group/Zone 1 and *G in Group/Zone 2.
Based on my experience, this is exactly how it works.

Originally Posted by witlesspax
As quoted earlier in this thread the text is "Board at your convenience with First Class and Business Class passengers where this is offered at the gate." While there is indeed some question what "where this is offered at the gate" restricts, to me it seems that the intent is that *G boards with first and business, unless the gate has no priority boarding at all. I'm not sure *A actually has any real recourse if airlines are in violation, so the fact that violations are occurring isn't much evidence to me that the rule itself is meant to be interpreted that way.

Ultimately I don't think it matters much, but it would be nice to have clarity.
You can read into this what you want. The write may mean to say priority boarding with business or FC when it is offered, otherwise priority over Y pax

Originally Posted by SPlDER
LH/OS/LO offer access to special lounge for *G which is not allowed for C passengers. *G are also entitled to one guest in to the lounge.
In seems that *G are more important for Star Alliance than ordinary C passengers ;-p
That's only LH Group, not the whole Star Alliance.

Yes, the LH group seems to prioritize status over class. On the other hand, SQ gives *G a much worse lounge than C passengers at its home base.
And SQ boards Star Gold separately from business, after business and ahead of general Y.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
C > Y

With the prices that SQ premium cabin commands, this doesn't comes as a surprise. It has never been SQ's intention to dilute their premium products.

Yes, the LH group seems to prioritize status over class. On the other hand, SQ gives *G a much worse lounge than C passengers at its home base.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hate to say it but I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. As long as C/*G get priority boarding, that's what matters. It's not like you're boarding a transoceanic flight and there are 42J and God knows how many *G pax in Y!

As long as one gets on before the Y cattle crew -- or can jump into the queue at any time -- that's what matters.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by uanj
You can read into this what you want. The write may mean to say priority boarding with business or FC when it is offered, otherwise priority over Y pax
Thanks for the permission, I'll extend you the same courtesy. But I don't think what you wrote is actually supported by the text. If boarding with first class and business is not offered, then there's no promise that you get any kind of priority.

"Board at your convenience with First Class and Business Class passengers where this is offered at the gate."

... and if it's not offered at the gate, then you are promised nothing. This is another reason why I think the text means that where there is priority boarding, you're expected to get similar treatment to first and business, because otherwise it seems not to promise anything at all. Of course, this doesn't seem to be the way it works in practice, thank goodness!
Old May 25, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by YOWkid
Hate to say it but I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. As long as C/*G get priority boarding, that's what matters. It's not like you're boarding a transoceanic flight and there are 42J and God knows how many *G pax in Y!

As long as one gets on before the Y cattle crew -- or can jump into the queue at any time -- that's what matters.
Definitely agreed. And I'm not sure anyone on here is saying it's such a big deal. But on the other hand, it would be nice to know what the rule really means.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: Miles&More ; A3*G
Just to add my experience, as A3*G, at GRU (Sao Paulo) I can board using the First class row (flying Swiss), before Business passengers. In ZRH I board using the Business class row.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:42 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Given that business is at the front of the plane, for short haul flights like A3, it may be faster if *G in Y boarded before J pax so they could move down the aisle.

If J class boards before any Y pax, then it would actually make more sense to board from the back of the plane
Old May 26, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
The Star Alliance Reference Guide 2015 only lists "priority boarding" as a privilege of *G, not how it should be implemented:

https://portal.staralliance.com/empl...eference-guide
Old May 27, 2016, 5:44 am

This morning at Corfu, waiting to board the A3 codeshare with OA that is flown with A3 Metal (organisational genius: if you want to OLCI all the way to HER, you do your 1st flight on the OA site and then the 2nd one on the A3 site!).

Two gates available, #6 and #7. Everybody waits in front of #6 (printed on the BC). Since I see two Goldair agents preparing both gates, I ask the one at #6 which one would be for the M+B Gold members and she says #7. Hearing this, the entire “mass” of waiting pax (not a line!), consisting mostly of non-Greek tourists, immediately moves to that one leaving #6 “empty. The agent at #7, a few minutes later, indeed starts boarding and as announced (priority boarding in effect!), first takes care of people in real need of priority (babies, small kids, handicapped), in theory to continue with C and *G. By the time they’re done with two handicapped pax, though, #6 is also open, and most of the people who moved to previously, decide to change gates again and go back to that one. I’ve never seen anything like that, amazingly also done in silence, perhaps because there were few Greeks involved (no loud complaining). Mind you, we are then all (both gates) stopped 10 m further down for 1 minute for reasons unknown, and when we’re allowed to continue, almost everybody literally runs to the plane in order to be “first” to get in.

This thing reminded me of my first Ryanair flight, or one of the flights I took many, many years ago when no seats had been assigned.

No lazy Goldair employees anywhere, other than the two overwhelmed gate agents and a supervisor standing close to the plane. I wish I had made a video of this. In comparison, boarding in all other Greek airport I’ve used were sheer organisational Fantasialand.

Somebody from A3 should visit CFU soon...

Last edited by KLouis; May 27, 2016 at 5:50 am Reason: corrected typos
Old May 27, 2016, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by KLouis
This morning at Corfu, waiting to board the A3 codeshare with OA that is flown with A3 Metal (organisational genius: if you want to OLCI all the way to HER, you do your 1st flight on the OA site and then the 2nd one on the A3 site!).

Two gates available, #6 and #7. Everybody waits in front of #6 (printed on the BC). Since I see two Goldair agents preparing both gates, I ask the one at #6 which one would be for the M+B Gold members and she says #7. Hearing this, the entire “mass” of waiting pax (not a line!), consisting mostly of non-Greek tourists, immediately moves to that one leaving #6 “empty. The agent at #7, a few minutes later, indeed starts boarding and as announced (priority boarding in effect!), first takes care of people in real need of priority (babies, small kids, handicapped), in theory to continue with C and *G. By the time they’re done with two handicapped pax, though, #6 is also open, and most of the people who moved to previously, decide to change gates again and go back to that one. I’ve never seen anything like that, amazingly also done in silence, perhaps because there were few Greeks involved (no loud complaining). Mind you, we are then all (both gates) stopped 10 m further down for 1 minute for reasons unknown, and when we’re allowed to continue, almost everybody literally runs to the plane in order to be “first” to get in.

This thing reminded me of my first Ryanair flight, or one of the flights I took many, many years ago when no seats had been assigned.

No lazy Goldair employees anywhere, other than the two overwhelmed gate agents and a supervisor standing close to the plane. I wish I had made a video of this. In comparison, boarding in all other Greek airport I’ve used were sheer organisational Fantasialand.

Somebody from A3 should visit CFU soon...
I took the same flight yesterday CFU > ATH > IST. Same issue (and not possible to online checking for ATH > IST).

Almost same experience : Business counter close + boarding was a real mess (low cost style). They did the announcements but nobody respected them and they didn't really managed it... For the switch from 6 to 7 they did the same yesterday, don't know why. It was a very odd boarding, because they call people at the gate and finally does not open the gate before 10 minutes, change their mind for the gate number etc etc

But good news, in this crappy airport there is the WIFI now!!! Not a good one but enough to check your emails.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Same style in Rhodes last week too... they don't care, they do the announcement but does nothing to enforce people to respect the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.