Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Account Verification Request Email [Account Audit]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Verification Request Email [Account Audit]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
They don't need access to StarNet or the PNR in order to sanity-check the itinerary as presented.

To threaten closure of the account, confiscation of miles and cancellation of all tickets is a VERY punitive reaction to something that should not have caused any suspicions. Before I would jump to such heavy-handed action, I would at least make an effort to look into whatever it was that I thought was suspicious - and this clearly was not done in this case, as any investigation should have shown the initial assumption was incorrect and mistaken.

While I accept that A3 probably doesn't see many claims for itineraries crossing the international date line, if the agent genuinely thought that the itinerary was impossible (they clearly didn't test that assumption) then why even give the passenger 5 days to "solve" the unsolvable problem ?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:02 am

Let us also note that whilst I do not doubt the information coming from the OP we were not there or privy to the conversation(s) or what the agent could or could not see. If the OP wishes they can indeed make a formal complaint and see what A3 come back with. There may have been other things that flagged this up on this specific account that we do not know about so it is all a case of guessing.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
I had a similar email this month...

Dear Mr. XXXX

As a member of the Miles and Bonus Program (XXXXXXX) , we seek your understanding on the following matter. Account reviews are periodically performed for the protection of the Program and all its members. You are a valued customer and we want to keep you informed while we perform some random and/or routine internal control practices.

Your flights will continue to accrue on your account although issuance of awards has been temporarily suspended pending completion of the review. Aegean Airlines’ primary goal is to protect our members and the mutual benefits of the program. We seek to maintain a positive relationship with our members and provide rationale for our actions as we validate program integrity, rules, and procedures.

Until the verification you will not be able to use the follow reservations : XXXXXX

It is our hope that this communication is clear on our intent. It is not to jeopardize customer rapport but rather to maintain a viable program. Mr. XXXXXXX, your cooperation is very much appreciated and we apologize for any inconvenience or potential concern that this standard review may cause. Please reply via email at [email protected] , or call at +302106261679 regarding this matter.

If we don’t get any reply or call from you within 5 days, we will permanently close the account and all tickets and mileage associated will be cancelled.
This happened on a Sunday so I phoned them to find out what the concern is. And it is actually the unusual no of participants in my together account. I change it frequently because my friends or family never use their accounts and it remained idle. So I frequently change to other friends I recruit to my program.

Aegean wanted me to provide all identity cards of all the past, present members of together account. They were quite lenient with the time frame and manage to clear the issue within 2 days after submitting the ID's..
Old May 13, 2016, 9:03 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by scrappydog
This happened on a Sunday so I phoned them to find out what the concern is. And it is actually the unusual no of participants in my together account. I change it frequently because my friends or family never use their accounts and it remained idle. So I frequently change to other friends I recruit to my program.

Aegean wanted me to provide all identity cards of all the past, present members of together account. They were quite lenient with the time frame and manage to clear the issue within 2 days after submitting the ID's..
This seems a lot more reasonable than the OP's situation.

While Aegean is paid for all the mileage that is accrued in the infrequently used accounts, I wonder if their accounting assumes that some miles will never be used, thus they didn't like it when you managed to gather a lot of orphan miles together.

The only worrying thing is that I often don't check emails for over 5 days at a time. I guess most people will be OK if they only do straightforward things on *A flights.
Old May 13, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The threat to permanently close the account and cancel all tickets within 5 days is beyond crazy.

Last edited by nk15; May 13, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Old May 13, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: A3 *G
This is really worrying. I often add not-very-close friends to my together account for six month periods and then remove them. These are sometimes people I know only in passing. To have to go to them - some from a year ago - and get copies of their ID's to send to Aegean would be VERY awkward, difficult and even impossible in a couple of cases as I am no longer in touch with them. I know for a fact that two of them would flat out refuse to give me copies of their passports to send off to a third party like that and I think all of the other would be quite unhappy about it. I was just about to remove three friends from my account and add three more and it is really worrying that this might happen to me. What we do is totally within the rules of the program so we should not have this worry like this. Even if someone in my together account were a total stranger who I had met in an airport bar and had agreed to give me his/her miles and then I had never spoken to again - that would be within the rules. How can this request be reasonable?

scrappydog - do you mind if I ask how many members you've had in your together account to trigger this? Mine has been active for 14 months and I have had eight members so far and was about to add three more next week.

One thing in my favour I suppose - all my members have claimed mileage exclusively on Aegean - only small amounts of miles (less than 10k) and have at least flown into my local airport. Perhaps this makes Aegean believe they are "true friends". Are you receiving lots of mileage from different parts of the world and from different airlines which might perhaps lead them to believe you're just making internet contacts? Also, the ticket they have threatened to cancel - I assume that is an award ticket you recently booked and not just a revenue ticket? Surely they could not cancel a paid ticket because of this? Possibly it's the spending of the miles that has triggered the audit. Maybe you could PM me if you prefer.

Last edited by Knobbgb; May 13, 2016 at 11:11 pm
Old May 14, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
15 members; 6 from my families whom no one ever travelled. 9 are my friends here and overseas - only 1 travelled and earned real miles.

I managed to get 10 out 15 national IDs and this satisfied them. I also gave them my passport and credit card info to verify the purchase of additional miles for my recent booking.

I have been a member since July 2014.
Old May 14, 2016, 5:08 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
This is really worrying. I often add not-very-close friends to my together account for six month periods and then remove them. These are sometimes people I know only in passing. To have to go to them - some from a year ago - and get copies of their ID's to send to Aegean would be VERY awkward, difficult and even impossible in a couple of cases as I am no longer in touch with them. I know for a fact that two of them would flat out refuse to give me copies of their passports to send off to a third party like that and I think all of the other would be quite unhappy about it. I was just about to remove three friends from my account and add three more and it is really worrying that this might happen to me. What we do is totally within the rules of the program so we should not have this worry like this. Even if someone in my together account were a total stranger who I had met in an airport bar and had agreed to give me his/her miles and then I had never spoken to again - that would be within the rules. How can this request be reasonable?

scrappydog - do you mind if I ask how many members you've had in your together account to trigger this? Mine has been active for 14 months and I have had eight members so far and was about to add three more next week.

One thing in my favour I suppose - all my members have claimed mileage exclusively on Aegean - only small amounts of miles (less than 10k) and have at least flown into my local airport. Perhaps this makes Aegean believe they are "true friends". Are you receiving lots of mileage from different parts of the world and from different airlines which might perhaps lead them to believe you're just making internet contacts? Also, the ticket they have threatened to cancel - I assume that is an award ticket you recently booked and not just a revenue ticket? Surely they could not cancel a paid ticket because of this? Possibly it's the spending of the miles that has triggered the audit. Maybe you could PM me if you prefer.
Whilst this is within the rules, and therefore perfectly legal, I can see why A3 might well investigate at some point because I doubt it's within the limits they anticipated when they introduced the scheme and they might regard that as abuse in itself. Not my place to cast moral judgment, particularly on FT where we pretty much all maximise to one extent or another, but if ever they came after you it would be interesting to know what rule they quoted given none have actually been broken. There again, if you've already had this many changes and not an eyelid has been battered, it might not be a big enough issue for them to worry about.
Old May 14, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by scrappydog
15 members; 6 from my families whom no one ever travelled. 9 are my friends here and overseas - only 1 travelled and earned real miles.
So, do you mean you were just benefiting only from the 1000 bonus miles each one earned? Or by "never traveled" do you mean just with A3 and they had miles from other *A carriers?

but if ever they came after you it would be interesting to know what rule they quoted given none have actually been broken.
Well, there's the general condition that says (and I'm paraphrasing here) "We may close your account and take away all your miles at any time we choose without giving a reason". I guess they'd invoke that even though no rule has actually been broken.

here again, if you've already had this many changes and not an eyelid has been battered, it might not be a big enough issue for them to worry about.
Just to verify - did the OP just book an award ticket? My guess is that it's the SPENDING of the miles that initiated the audit, not the collecting, which may explain why nobody has come after me yet. I'd imagine they can calculate the "hidden" cost of an award ticket by tracking where the miles came from and offsetting that against what the ticket cost them. This would be the only way they'd ever know if the whole scheme was an overall cost benefit or was losing them money.

I doubt it's within the limits they anticipated when they introduced the scheme
Well the "six month" rule (where you can't remove someone until they've been a member that long) kind of implies they DID think about people having many members and they decided to limit it to five members every six months. I think it would be very unfair of them to then try to limit this further.
Old May 14, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given how arbitrary, unclear, and irrational they are behaving I would be concerned with doing any weird super cheap MRs or anything like a hidden city ticketing on A3 (not that I have done this ever anyway).
Old May 14, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
"If we don’t get any reply or call from you within 5 days, we will permanently close the account and all tickets and mileage associated will be cancelled."

This is the bit I really don't like - it might be reasonable to suspend an account or limit new redemptions while the matter is being investigated, but to permanently close it and cancel the mileage is unreasonable.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canceling the tickets is the worse, imaging having several booked.
Old May 15, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Canceling the tickets is the worse, imaging having several booked.
Canceling the tickets very likely illegal and subject to compensation under European law.
Old May 15, 2016, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
This is worriesome for me, as I havemany friends who fly to and from South Africa on Ethiopian, and other places, and are not interested in miles etc, so i made them accounts, joint them to mine, and after six months remove them and add others. I have no shortage of people to add to my account to get their miles. And I have done this whenever I could, every six months...
Old May 15, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Hilarious... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.