Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long stopover/layover in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
But the bus sucks as they are outdated and overly full (x93 anyways), and a couple of times I have had the bus engine cut out midway during the trip! The driver was able to restart both cases by fiddling around with some fuses (or something) on the outside of the bus..but come on.
Ah yes, the dreaded 'bone shaker'!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Could you recommend some places in Artemida that give free shuttle service? I just made a booking at one place on the basis of all the reviews on the front page saying that the shuttle service was free... but after booking it the host says it's 25EUR each for pickup and drop-off (he said he changed the policy several months ago). If I'm going to spend 50EUR on getting there and back it's cheaper to get the bus into Athens itself.
I stayed at this place called Sunset House:
https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/sun...outsa.de.html?

It was a year ago though. It was definitely nothing special and rather a budget appartment, but it was calm and clean, so if not expecting luxury service it suits. Could walk in 10 minutes to local restaurants. The owner would have even driven me there if I wished... Also there was a greek prepaid cell phone in the room so that I could always reach the owner if I wanted and there were some prepacked breakfast items in the little kitchen.

Bathroom was extremely small though.

Last time I looked I found a lot of similar places and quite a few of them did offer pick up, Maybe you'd need to search for "Loutsa" as city, this town seems to have dual names...

edit: Just realized it now shows transfer at a fee... things change obviously

Last edited by Reifel; Apr 8, 2018 at 4:35 am Reason: edit: Just realized it now shows transfer at a fee... things change obviously
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Any new budget hotel for 50-80 euro/night next/close to the airport would be amazing....
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I have to slightly disagree here. Pretty much every taxi I have ever taken from or to the airport has tried to rip me off in some way. Using the nighttime fare during the evening, trying to convince me to pay extra for tolls, coming up with a 15 euro 'airport surcharge' over what the meter shows or getting a second passenger - charging the full price for both. And never ever are they willing to give a receipt, at best you get one from another fare earlier that day.
They have this Uber-like app "BEAT" in Greece, which provides you with a regular taxi ride. The advantages are: always a very clean car, driver normally speaks English, no rip off as you can see the details of the drive and potentially claim afterwards, and you can rate the drive(r), so the low rated might be sorted out anyway.
I really recommend this - always had very positive experience.
GBobon, DELLAS and eugnk like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Question Possible to walk to/from airport?

Given that I've been sitting a long time in an airplane I don't mind doing a longer walk to get to my airport accommodation. Is the road to Spata and/or Artemida walkable in terms of some sort of path to walk on? If so, does anyone have an estimate on how long it would take (no suitcases)? The map services I've looked at suggest a 1.5h walk which looks a bit long given the distance.?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:53 am
HAF

Hey y'all

We are traveling SFO-IST-ATH-CFU in a few weeks

SFO to ATH on TK and ATH-CFU on A3; business class on all legs. The IST-ATH TK1843 arrives at 8:25pm and the A37282 departs 7:35am next day. Will TK be able to check our luggage through to CFU - or do we have to pick up in ATH and recheck back in?

We are staying with relatives overnight - and it will be great to know that we will have an option to not have to schlep our luggage with us and bring them back in the morning.

--HAF
Old Aug 9, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by HAF
Hey y'all

We are traveling SFO-IST-ATH-CFU in a few weeks

SFO to ATH on TK and ATH-CFU on A3; business class on all legs. The IST-ATH TK1843 arrives at 8:25pm and the A37282 departs 7:35am next day. Will TK be able to check our luggage through to CFU - or do we have to pick up in ATH and recheck back in?

We are staying with relatives overnight - and it will be great to know that we will have an option to not have to schlep our luggage with us and bring them back in the morning.

--HAF
I don't see why they would not be able to check the bags right through. I've no personal experience of TK to A3 but I've done the same with other carriers (with the overnight 'stop'). I suppose it depends - are all the flights on the same ticket?

Your plan 'B' would be to try to check your bags after collecting them in the evening. There would still be check-in counters open and I would guess they'd take your bags, especially in business class.

Plan 'C' - there is luggage storage in the arrival area right next to the 'A' gates exit (where you will arrive).
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:29 am
HAF

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
are all the flights on the same ticket?
Thank you for your answer! yes - all flights on the same ticket. Do we have to claim the bags to get them through customs like its done in the US at the point of entry into the country? And then recheck them to the domestic destination? Or this is not necessary in Greece?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by HAF
Thank you for your answer! yes - all flights on the same ticket. Do we have to claim the bags to get them through customs like its done in the US at the point of entry into the country? And then recheck them to the domestic destination? Or this is not necessary in Greece?
Not necessary for most destinations (including CFU) because it has international arrivals and thus customs/immigration. It'll be up to TK if they check them through but they should. Feedback would be appreciated. Have a good trip!
HAF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.