Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 4:46 pm

I'm not sure if it's lack of flying Aegean or just age, but I have totally forgotten the rules regarding validity of miles?
Old May 16, 2022, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by sociableorg
Two questions to the experts:
  • I earned a gold tier extension on 25/11/2019 (until 25/11/2020); In Mar 2021 I got another extension, and now my gold status expires May 2022
    • I have just started to travel for work in Apr 2022, so I am starting the mile accumulation (I just did one transatlantic roundtrip). Is there a way to get an extension until Nov 2022 to accumulate the miles
    • The issue I see is that since my current gold status expires May 2022, my miles eligibility counter will reset in May 2022, in a sense "losing" all the eligibility miles I accumulate until May 2022
Thanks!
You know you can buy status miles, right, and currently you can buy more than before COVID.
Also, if you can fit in 4 Aegean sectors, those sectors plus your transatlantic return trip should deliver the required 9k status miles, no?
Old May 17, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Hi everyone,

After several years preferring ST and OW to *A, we are going to start travelling again with *A airlines, and in this regard, A3 Miles and Bonus program seems to be a good one to gain status relatively quickly !
But I have a question regarding codeshare credits. I understand that in *A, the operating carrier defines how many (tier) miles you get. I am also aware that P fares on LH earn nothing, unlike P fares on LX or OS.
My question is : We have an upcoming trip between AMS and YYZ, booked on LH in P class, but operated by AC (sold as LH6842). Likewise, the return is a flight between YYZ and VIE, booked as OS8248 in P-class, but operated by Air Canada.
Am I correct in thinking that LH P (or OS P) maps to AC P-class ? And that therefore I will get 200% of the miles on those segments on A3 FFP ?
I do have subsequent flights booked in P or Z on the same booking marketed AND operated by Air Canada (but ticket issued on LH 220- stock). That would also yield 200% A3 miles right ?

Thanks for your help in advance !
Old May 17, 2022, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
You know you can buy status miles, right, and currently you can buy more than before COVID.
Also, if you can fit in 4 Aegean sectors, those sectors plus your transatlantic return trip should deliver the required 9k status miles, no?
Looks like I need ~7750 tier miles to keep Gold. I just checked the miles calculator and looks like the transatlantic trip should get me over the tier miles (with the fare class I have, I get ~1.25 boost, so total tier miles is ~10K). Thanks for your feedback.

[edit] For future reference, can you please clarify what you mean by 'fit 4 aegean sectors'? Do you mean actually booking and flying 4x aegean flights? How much do these cost?
[edit 2] Made a mistake while calculating tier miles. On the ticket, the flight says Brussels Airlines but operated by Air Canada. So my tier miles reduced to ~7000 miles because of this. I will still have ~750 tier miles to keep GOLD :-(.

Last edited by sociableorg; May 17, 2022 at 4:50 am
Old May 17, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Looks like I need ~7750 tier miles to keep Gold. I just checked the miles calculator and looks like the transatlantic trip should get me over the tier miles (with the fare class I have, I get ~1.25 boost, so total tier miles is ~10K). Thanks for your feedback.

[edit] For future reference, can you please clarify what you mean by 'fit 4 aegean sectors'? Do you mean actually booking and flying 4x aegean flights? How much do these cost?
[edit 2] Made a mistake while calculating tier miles. On the ticket, the flight says Brussels Airlines but operated by Air Canada. So my tier miles reduced to ~7000 miles because of this. I will still have ~750 tier miles to keep GOLD :-(.
You need to fly (not just book) 4 segments on actual A3/OA metal. Flying on another carrier and crediting to A3 does not count for this. For example, any Greek island as an RT via ATH will suffice for this.

If you need 750 miles you can buy tier miles. Unfortunately it's only in 500-mile increments so you'd need to buy 1000 at a cost of 75 EUR. Since you are keeping Gold rather than going from Silver, those excess 250 tier miles will be wasted.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:56 am

Thanks! For the tier miles, if it is the operating carrier is used, I will meet my tier mile requirements. I used the marketing carrier in my calculations.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, SAS Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by giorginho
tony2022 Unfortunately many phone agents are rookies when it comes to actual experience with Aegean's ffp, policies and most stuff in general. Removing your member's ID from the reservation or even not entering it at all when booking does nothing special for you when retro-crediting. You will still get the award miles, but the date of the flight counts for the tier miles, so what you heard the 2nd time is true. If what the 1st agent said was true, that would lead to a huge loophole, which would allow customers to seriously manipulate the ffp by such retro-crediting.
Thank you for your advice (and for answering my previous question, also)
giorginho likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:35 am

Thanks! For the tier miles, if it is the operating carrier is used, I will meet my tier mile requirements. I used the marketing carrier in my calculations.
Star Alliance generally goes by operating carrier (or their sidekicks). There are excemptions on the fringes, but in almost all cases you will earn miles according to the Brussels table if you fly on a plane operated by Brusels - whether you buy it under an Air Canada code or, a Brussels code, or an Aegean code does not matter. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure what happens if the marketing carrier is not a Star Alliance carrier, such as Air France coded Austrian flights. But that's not your situation.)
Old May 17, 2022, 7:41 am

Be cautious of the earnings, you mentioned the carrier is Air Canada. There's a current M&B discussion about AC's fare classes vs fare "type." Basically regardless of the fare class letter, earnings are dependent on the fare "type." AC can sell a ticket with a fare letter that usually means 'lots of miles & tier points' but use the Basic Economy fare type, and you will only earn at the Basic Economy rate. Check regularly to see what posts...buying some tier points may become more attractive. Or taking a weekend hop from Brussels to Greece.
giorginho likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
*A should always go by metal rather than marketing
Old May 17, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
When you renew Silver, do the upgrade coupons become available immediately, or does this happen at the end of the qualification year?

And when you upgrade to Gold from Silver, does it reset you year at that day and you get the new coupons right then?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by nk15
When you renew Silver, do the upgrade coupons become available immediately, or does this happen at the end of the qualification year?

And when you upgrade to Gold from Silver, does it reset you year at that day and you get the new coupons right then?
1) At the end of the qualification year.

2) Yes it does reset that day and you get the new coupons right then.
nk15 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
Star Alliance generally goes by operating carrier (or their sidekicks). There are excemptions on the fringes, but in almost all cases you will earn miles according to the Brussels table if you fly on a plane operated by Brusels - whether you buy it under an Air Canada code or, a Brussels code, or an Aegean code does not matter. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure what happens if the marketing carrier is not a Star Alliance carrier, such as Air France coded Austrian flights. But that's not your situation.)
Operating carrier is Air Canada, Marketing carrier is Brussels Airlines. So looks like I should be OK with the tier miles to re-qualify for Gold. Miles have not posted yet for some reason (it has been 2-3 days since last flight.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Archon1995
Be cautious of the earnings, you mentioned the carrier is Air Canada. There's a current M&B discussion about AC's fare classes vs fare "type." Basically regardless of the fare class letter, earnings are dependent on the fare "type." AC can sell a ticket with a fare letter that usually means 'lots of miles & tier points' but use the Basic Economy fare type, and you will only earn at the Basic Economy rate. Check regularly to see what posts...buying some tier points may become more attractive. Or taking a weekend hop from Brussels to Greece.

Thanks. I will look at the AC fare type now and also see what posts. Will report back. Indeed, I might have to buy some tier miles to “top up” to gold eligibility.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr
Hi everyone,
Am I correct in thinking that LH P (or OS P) maps to AC P-class ? And that therefore I will get 200% of the miles on those segments on A3 FFP ?
No. Booking classes do not match between carriers, so it is quite unpredictable what you may earn. Sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.