Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Expiry date of existing miles (losing gold status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

I have enough miles (barely) for an award and I also have gold status based on a single trip in April 2011, with no activity since then.

When will my miles expire?
I believe my gold status expires sometime between November 2015 and early January 2016, is that correct? (Exactly when?)

What can I do that has a low cost to extend the expiration date of the miles and how long will that extend the expiration date for please?

Thank you
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:11 am

You now have zero miles, no status and... no account! You would have had all three if you had credited one flight during the 3 years that followed the flight that brought you the Gold status (sometime last April). Your account was inactivated, your miles expired 7-8 months ago, and there is nothing you can do to extend them (independent of cost).

I think that your are the living paradigm for the reasons that made A3 change its program: You flew one long haul flight with a different airline, used the Gold status (I guess you did) to obtain different perks for three years, never flew A3 neither credited miles to them, and now you ask how you could continue that at a low cost. Really AMAZING!!!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Actually I was mistaken, and the flight was in April 2012. So, perhaps to Mr KLouis' chagrin, my gold status and miles are intact. Mr Klouis, you need not be angry, due to health problems I have not flown much on star since, so I have not used my card, nor Aegean lounges. It is due to these health problems that I am uncertain as to when I can fly star again.

So my account continues to show gold and all the earned miles. My understanding is that this gold status will expire sometime between November 1 2015 and January 31, 2016 -- can anyone confirm this and perhaps know a more specific date? Will i immediately lose the miles on that date? Can I book a ticket right before expiry, and if need be cancel it, pay the cancellation fee and have the miles returned to my account , perhaps for several months, before using the miles for another ticket? thank you
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
Are you planning to book a fictitious award ticket just before expiry and then cancel the ticket before flight hoping that the miles would be refunded back into account?

generally with cancellation in such case, the miles would be expired, i.e. not "refunded" back into account.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hiroaki27
Are you planning to book a fictitious award ticket just before expiry and then cancel the ticket before flight hoping that the miles would be refunded back into account?

generally with cancellation in such case, the miles would be expired, i.e. not "refunded" back into account.

No not fictitiuos, more speculative. I have the choice between making a booking for a thousand dollar flight several months in advance that i might or might not be able to take due to health reasons, or to use it for a for sure flight from vancouver to victoria that i place a low value on as the flight is only twenty minutes and i can just as easily take a ferry. If the miles would not in fact be redeposited to my account then i will need to guess what the probability is that i will be able to take the longer flight further in the future.
so i understand Hiroaki27 correctly , if i book a flight just prior to miles expiry and later try to redeposit the miles to my account, that will not be possible. Is that in fact correct?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by KLouis
You now have zero miles, no status and... no account! You would have had all three if you had credited one flight during the 3 years that followed the flight that brought you the Gold status (sometime last April). Your account was inactivated, your miles expired 7-8 months ago, and there is nothing you can do to extend them (independent of cost).

I think that your are the living paradigm for the reasons that made A3 change its program: You flew one long haul flight with a different airline, used the Gold status (I guess you did) to obtain different perks for three years, never flew A3 neither credited miles to them, and now you ask how you could continue that at a low cost. Really AMAZING!!!
^ ^ ^

He or she seems to be very rich (from heresaying...)...

But just another infrequent flyer - or let's better say 'NOFLYER' - from Canada... best to be ignored... Sorry!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:08 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jeremy Humboldt
No not fictitiuos, more speculative. I have the choice between making a booking for a thousand dollar flight several months in advance that i might or might not be able to take due to health reasons, or to use it for a for sure flight from vancouver to victoria that i place a low value on as the flight is only twenty minutes and i can just as easily take a ferry. If the miles would not in fact be redeposited to my account then i will need to guess what the probability is that i will be able to take the longer flight further in the future.
so i understand Hiroaki27 correctly , if i book a flight just prior to miles expiry and later try to redeposit the miles to my account, that will not be possible. Is that in fact correct?
If you do not credit another flight to your account before April 2015 (3 years from your last flight activity as a Gold member), it will become inactive and inaccessible - and to all intents and purposes closed because the following 12 months is only for retro claims.

Once your account is closed, there will be nowhere to re-deposit any redeemed miles, so if the award is not taken they will also be lost.

To extend the life of your miles, you must fly - or at least hop-on a Lufthansa train ...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If you do not credit another flight to your account before April 2015 (3 years from your last flight activity as a Gold member), it will become inactive and inaccessible - and to all intents and purposes closed because the following 12 months is only for retro claims.

Once your account is closed, there will be nowhere to re-deposit any redeemed miles, so if the award is not taken they will also be lost.

To extend the life of your miles, you must fly - or at least hop-on a Lufthansa train ...

That is really clear and very much appreciated. I called Aegean a couple of months ago and they told me that as long as i remained gold my miles would not expire, but i doubted that information as it did not correspond to what i read on this board. While i am inclined to think that NWIFLYER is correct, I might call Aegean again and see if they confirm this. If they do not, I suspect i will still put more faith in NWIFlyers information. is there a way to communicate with Aegean in writing, preferably by email?

Also, if I credit an eligible Air Canada flight before the three year annniversary in April 2015 , that will extend the expiration for how long (presuming that i will lose gold at the end of 2015)? Is it sufficient to do the flight just before the 3 year anniversary, or do i need to do it even earlier to allow Aegean time to coordinate with air canada to actually post the miles before the three year anniversary?

again, thank you

Last edited by Jared Ito; Dec 6, 2014 at 1:13 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:48 am
Community Director

That is really clear and very much appreciated. I called Aegean a couple of months ago and they told me that as long as i remained gold my miles would not expire, but i doubted that information as it did not correspond to what i read on this board. While i am inclined to think that NWIFLYER is correct, I might call Aegean again and see if they confirm this. If they do not, I suspect i will still put more faith in NWIFlyers information. is there a way to communicate with Aegean in writing, preferably by email?

Also, if I credit an eligible Air Canada flight before the three year annniversary in April 2015 , that will extend the expiration for how long (presuming that i will lose gold at the end of 2015)? Is it sufficient to do the flight just before the 3 year anniversary, or do i need to do it even earlier to allow Aegean time to coordinate with air canada to actually post the miles before the three year anniversary?

again, thank you
You only need to fly before the anniversary.

It sounds like you won't continue to credit enough to maintain any sort of status, so it's reasonable to say that by January 2017 you'll be a Blue member following your soft landing to Silver and two month grace period at the end of the Tier Mile year end in November 2016.

Under the current rules, the account would then close if no flight had been credited within 24 months - so if you credit in March 2015 to stop account closure now, but don't credit again, then your account would effectively close in March 2017 and be completely deleted in March 2018 when your retroclaim period expired.

Obviously if you continue to credit, it will remain open.

BTW, A3 are correct in saying that the miles won't expire if you remain Gold - because of course you'd have to be crediting to maintain that status, so the two go hand-in-hand.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Will I still have gold status on January 1 and 2 2016

You only need to fly before the anniversary.

It sounds like you won't continue to credit enough to maintain any sort of status, so it's reasonable to say that by January 2017 you'll be a Blue member following your soft landing to Silver and two month grace period at the end of the Tier Mile year end in November 2016.

Under the current rules, the account would then close if no flight had been credited within 24 months - so if you credit in March 2015 to stop account closure now, but don't credit again, then your account would effectively close in March 2017 and be completely deleted in March 2018 when your retroclaim period expired.

Obviously if you continue to credit, it will remain open.

BTW, A3 are correct in saying that the miles won't expire if you remain Gold - because of course you'd have to be crediting to maintain that status, so the two go hand-in-hand.
More important question: will I still have gold status on January 1 and 2 2016
Based on the assumption that I will have no flights or only minimal flights between now and then?

Completely separate issue to the question above, if a3 is correct in saying that the miles won't expire if I remain gold, and my gold status remains at least to November 2015 even without flights, wouldn't i have at least until my gold expiry in November 2015 (or perhaps January 2016) to redeem the miles, rather than the earlier deadline of April 2015 which is set by the three year anniversary of my having earned the last mile?

Thanks

Last edited by Jared Ito; Dec 6, 2014 at 11:33 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:14 am
Community Director

More important question: will I still have gold status on January 1 and 2 2016
Based on the assumption that I will have no flights or only minimal flights between now and then?

Completely separate issue to the question above, if a3 is correct in saying that the miles won't expire if I remain gold, and my gold status remains at least to November 2015 even without flights, wouldn't i have at least until my gold expiry in November 2015 (or perhaps January 2016) to redeem the miles, rather than the earlier deadline of April 2015 which is set by the three year anniversary of my having earned the last mile?

Thanks
You will be Gold (purely under the card extension) only if your account remains open. As KLouis pointed out, the account closure rules override everything, so if you do not credit your account will close early next year. No account = no status, not even Silver if you're hoping to avoid bag fees on AC.

Whilst technically your account will be open for a year for retro claims, it's extremely likely that it will be suspended for the purposes of status, so don't rely on that carrying you through.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 7, 2014 at 12:19 am
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully the last question, thanks NWIFlyer

You will be Gold (purely under the card extension) only if your account remains open. As KLouis pointed out, the account closure rules override everything, so if you do not credit your account will close early next year. No account = no status, not even Silver if you're hoping to avoid bag fees on AC.

Whilst technically your account will be open for a year for retro claims, it's extremely likely that it will be suspended for the purposes of status, so don't rely on that carrying you through.

Really appreciated , I do not think I would have understood this at all without your help.

If I fly and credit an eligible partner flight before the three year anniversary of my April 2012 last flight, let's say air canada by April 1, 2015, that will extend my account and miles until when ? (I understand that I will lose gold status by the end of 2015)?

Thank you

Last edited by Jared Ito; Dec 8, 2014 at 1:46 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
There are actually extensive information on A3 website about tier retention requirements... and also several threads discussing the ins and outs of tier retention after 2015...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:57 pm
Community Director

Really appreciated , I do not think I would have understood this at all without your help.

If I fly and credit an eligible partner flight before the three year anniversary of my April 2012 last flight, let's say air canada by April 1, 2015, that will extend my account and miles until when ? (I understand that I will lose gold status by the end of 2015)?

Thank you
Take a look at my post #9 - I think that answers your question. If not, feel free to drop me a PM rather than bore the rest of the forum with what's becoming our private conversation in public!
Old May 20, 2016, 5:39 am

A simple question I hope -- when do Aegean Miles expire? I have 21K orphan miles and not sure how I can use or extend, or when I should start worrying. My last activity was December 2014. According to the Aegean website, it's "never" but I figured I should check with People Who Know Things. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.