Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Calculation on UA with stop

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Calculation on UA with stop

Hi,

I'm looking into UA flight 1450, going from SMF via IAH to LGA. It has a 70 min stop in IAH, but it is still the same flight number. It is my understanding that this is treated by A3 as one flight and not as two. OK.

However, how are the miles earned calculated? Are they calculated as SMF-LGA as-the-crow-flies (a distance of roughly 2.500 miles) or are they calculated as-UA-flies (a distance of roughly 3.000 miles because they make a detour via Houston)?

This difference may make-or-break Gold for me, which is why I'd like to know. Thank you.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
If you are booked on the flight SMF-LGA (one flight coupon) then you will get the direct distance between this two cities. It does not matter that this flight makes a stop at IAH...

You can try to book each leg of this flight separately (SFM-IAH / IAH-LGA), use the multi-city option of the booking tools... Then you would get the miles as flown, but the fare might be more expensive...
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I see. :-( Thank you.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:08 pm

If you have already bought the ticket, call United and ask to split out the segments. Be aware the you might have to pay some more taxes (the security/TSA ones, so call now!).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st1575
If you have already bought the ticket, call United and ask to split out the segments. Be aware the you might have to pay some more taxes (the security/TSA ones, so call now!).
Thank you, but I hadn't booked it and I decided not to fly. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.