Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Seems the hotel will be undergoing renovations. I was just advised that they won't be able to honor my January suite upgrade (for SIN do) as all suites will be undergoing renovations. The Gold Lounge will probably not be available either.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Further update. Renovations to start in January and last about 6 months.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cancelled my January reservation (during the renovations) and am here for 4 nights now to use up my free nights, suite upgrade certs and gift cards. I love this hotel! I'm in a penthouse suite AGAIN (at least the 5th time)! This one has an indoor BBQ (as opposed to a grand piano).

The staff is amazing. In the lounge, they remembered my preference for a tempranillo wine and brought it without me even asking! Also, I expect to have 2 guests join me on Friday night. (Extra guests are S$80/visit.) I mentioned at the desk that I have been alone for a couple of nights and would I have to pay for an extra guest on Friday night. Nope. It's been noted that my extra guest will be welcomed at no charge! ^

As a result of the Accor acquisition, I got 2 vouchers for free drinks at check-in. When they delivered my basket of fruit, there was another welcome letter with 2 more vouchers for free drinks! OK, I guess I'll be picking up some Singapore Slings at the bar.
escape4 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Accor Plus platinium, Marriott silver, GHA platinium, Hhonors Gold, Krisflyer Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I cancelled my January reservation (during the renovations) and am here for 4 nights now to use up my free nights, suite upgrade certs and gift cards. I love this hotel! I'm in a penthouse suite AGAIN (at least the 5th time)! This one has an indoor BBQ (as opposed to a grand piano).

The staff is amazing. In the lounge, they remembered my preference for a tempranillo wine and brought it without me even asking! Also, I expect to have 2 guests join me on Friday night. (Extra guests are S$80/visit.) I mentioned at the desk that I have been alone for a couple of nights and would I have to pay for an extra guest on Friday night. Nope. It's been noted that my extra guest will be welcomed at no charge! ^

As a result of the Accor acquisition, I got 2 vouchers for free drinks at check-in. When they delivered my basket of fruit, there was another welcome letter with 2 more vouchers for free drinks! OK, I guess I'll be picking up some Singapore Slings at the bar.
I used my suite voucher recently but only got the fairmont suite which in itself was not too bad. The bathroom is enormous. Decor and finishing of the room is of course outdated considering the age of the property. It seems they are quite liberal on the welcome drinks policy as I did also get a total of 4 drinks. 2 in my room and someone personally delivered another 2. I did asked if the vouchers could be used in Swissotel stamford (was thinking of Bar Rouge) and was promised a call in my room for an answer. That unfortunately was forgotten by the staff. I dont think you can change the drinks for a Singapore sling though at fairmont.

Service in the gold lounge was ok but i feel the canapes could be better considering it should be more premium than regular lounges. Accor platinum member do not have access to it. I feel the variety of food at Swissotel Merchant court was much better but service wise I will agree that the Fairmont got the upper hand.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Currently the hotel only offer rooms .... no suite or gold rooms available for booking.

I believe the renovation start already
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:21 pm

I noticed that for June but didn't realise there were none currently. Wonder how long it will take, and the eventual finished standard...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I reached out to my contact at the Fairmont SIN for an upcoming reservation in July to inquire about suite upgrades and lounge access, the 2 main reasons for my loyalty to this particular property. (I won't stay anywhere else in SIN and haven't for 5-6 yrs, and I'm there 2-3 times per year.) This is the reply I got:
As an Accor Platinum member, you will be automatically upgraded to enjoy lounge access at properties which have Executive Lounges. However, Fairmont Gold is excluded from this upgrade policy but because of your platinum status, you will be able to enjoy complimentary breakfast at our breakfast outlets. If you do want to stay in a suite room, you can redeem your Accor points because you can do the incremental top up at check in and use the points to offset that bill. Under this Accor loyalty programs, there are no more certificates and everything is based on point accrual which actually in my honest opinion, is more flexible.
I'm incredibly disappointed. I thought it unlikely that I would maintain my Accor Plat status. Now I know I won't. Adieu Fairmont.
rny321 and Dav77 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Is there any Fairmont property with “executive lounge” or do all of them have “gold lounge” ?

I have seen only Fairmont’s with gold lounge and never done any reservation because completely disagree with Accor/Fairmont policy to exclude Plat members...
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dav77
Is there any Fairmont property with “executive lounge” or do all of them have “gold lounge” ?

I have seen only Fairmont’s with gold lounge and never done any reservation because completely disagree with Accor/Fairmont policy to exclude Plat members...
I find it quite funny actually. Many Fairmont members almost demanded that Accor Plat members not be given lounge access as it would ruin their experience and open the Gold lounge to the masses of Plat members.
Now we find some Fairmont members complaining they don't get access to the gold lounge..... I mean really yeah I guess personally I would have preferred lounge access for all Plat members, but how to say it your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.
And also I think you should explain there is no conditions to upgrade limits at Fairmont hotels. Raffles is limited to the Junior suite. Maybe double check the conditions because I have been able to twist arms when hotels did not want to upgrade because of their own ideas on what members deserve.
So yeah anyway if I want gold lounge access I will pay for it of course. Maybe it is worth it or maybe not considering breakfast is free anyway, but I would be curious to try it once or twice.
I can't comment about the flexibility of points over room/suite upgrades. Maybe its just as good or maybe not..

Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dav77
The Fairmont Singapore is the only Fairmont hotel that used to have an "executive lounge" (I believe for "historical" reasons since it used to be branded differently as part of the Raffles/Swissotel complex), but in 2018 it was rebranded as a Fairmont Gold lounge, so all the Fairmont lounges that exist are now branded as "Fairmont Gold".
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Being Fairmont Platinum did not entitle a guest to Gold Floor upgrades. With the exception of the Gold Floor certificates that members who qualified for Premier or Platinum and had the Chase Fairmont Visa got, and the few hotels that combined Gold floor access with suite upgrades, I thought Gold Floor upgrades without cash payments almost never happened. Of all the Fairmont hotels I have stayed in, I only remember one completely free Gold floor upgrade and one where I was able to combine a suite upgrade and a Gold floor upgrade.

Since the Fairmont Singapore no longer offers the possibility of complimentary lounge access due to the re-provisioning of its executive lounge to a Gold lounge and suite upgrade certificates will be going away, it is understandable that guests who picked this hotel over competing alternatives are reconsidering where to stay in Singapore in the future. Although there are some outstanding hotels within the Fairmont portfolio, there are only a couple that I will plan to visit after my last suite upgrade is utilized. I expect to be utilizing FHR, Virtuoso or other travel agents when booking Accor hotels in the future.

Last edited by rny321; Jan 6, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:39 pm

I have a stay coming up in a couple weeks and at the time of booking (via Accor phone rep) I was told I would NOT have breakfast included, even as a Platinum member, because it wasn't included in the room rate. I also noticed this nice little notice on the reservation in the app "This hotel does not participate in the Le Club AccorHotels program." Honestly I do not care, I have a gazillion $ credits to burn, but really folks?! Way to burn the loyalty. I am totally expecting things not to go smoothly as the reservation email I received from Fairmont correctly shows a 3 night stay with the first two nights on certificates, but the Accor app shows charges (albeit reduced ones) for nights 1 + 2 plus full higher charge for night 3. I did call, they insist all looks fine on their end and they can't see what I'm talking about
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I have a stay coming up in a couple weeks and at the time of booking (via Accor phone rep) I was told I would NOT have breakfast included, even as a Platinum member, because it wasn't included in the room rate. I also noticed this nice little notice on the reservation in the app "This hotel does not participate in the Le Club AccorHotels program." Honestly I do not care, I have a gazillion $ credits to burn, but really folks?! Way to burn the loyalty. I am totally expecting things not to go smoothly as the reservation email I received from Fairmont correctly shows a 3 night stay with the first two nights on certificates, but the Accor app shows charges (albeit reduced ones) for nights 1 + 2 plus full higher charge for night 3. I did call, they insist all looks fine on their end and they can't see what I'm talking about
Please don't take this as criticism of the Accor phone reps, but I would call the Fairmont reservation number instead. Also, as others have pointed out on the Fairmont sub forum, the Fairmont site frequently has better rates and options than the Accor one.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tris06
I find it quite funny actually. Many Fairmont members almost demanded that Accor Plat members not be given lounge access as it would ruin their experience and open the Gold lounge to the masses of Plat members.
Now we find some Fairmont members complaining they don't get access to the gold lounge..... I mean really yeah I guess personally I would have preferred lounge access for all Plat members, but how to say it your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.
Personally, I can see both sides of the argument. In North America, the Fairmont Gold lounges are leaps and bounds better than any lounge offered by any of the major hotel chains (except for Ritz Carlton, which generally offers a slightly higher standard).

Most Fairmont Gold lounges just don't have the capacity to accommodate Plat members without leading to a deterioration of the product.

However, outside NA - where many competing hotel chains offer very nice lounges - I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer access to Fairmont Gold lounges as a Plat benefit.

And also I think you should explain there is no conditions to upgrade limits at Fairmont hotels. Raffles is limited to the Junior suite. Maybe double check the conditions because I have been able to twist arms when hotels did not want to upgrade because of their own ideas on what members deserve.
But isn't that one of the many issues with the Accor program? There's no explicit "hotels are obligated to upgrade Plats to a standard suite (or the highest available suite category) if available at time of check-in" clause. Each hotel can make up its own rules, and reading the various threads in the Accor forum, this benefit seems rather variable (to put it nicely).

So yeah anyway if I want gold lounge access I will pay for it of course. Maybe it is worth it or maybe not considering breakfast is free anyway, but I would be curious to try it once or twice.
It all depends on your definition of "value". At least in North America, paying for a Fairmont Gold room rarely is "worth it" if you simply add the value of all the tangible perks such as breakfast + afternoon tea + soft drinks + evening canapes. But if you value a non-crowded, quiet, upscale lounge with generally excellent service, it's definitely worth considering.

I can't comment about the flexibility of points over room/suite upgrades. Maybe its just as good or maybe not..
Anyone who uses the "Accor points are more flexible than FPC certs" is either malicious, ignorant or utterly stupid.

Or all of the above.

Le Club Accor points basically are a discount on spending at Accor properties and have a fixed value. Yes, of course, Le Club Accor points are more flexible than FPC upgrade certs since anyone can use their Accor points to book whatever room category they want at (almost) any Accor property.

But that completely misses the point.

Le Club Accor points may be an adequate substitute for dining and free night certs (though many former FPC Plat members would disagree).

But "upgrades based on availability at time of check-in, subject to the hotel's policies and the front desk staff's mood" certainly isn't an adequate substitute for confirmed suite upgrades confirmed at the time of booking.
rny321 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:11 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Complimentary breakfast for platinum members is, currently, limited to properties in the Asia-Pacific region. It really does need to be extended worldwide, and fast.

The "this hotel does not participate" message in the app is a current bug. See THIS thread.
rny321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.