Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Help requested: Medical issue means I can't use a non-refundable reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have made a non-cancellable, non-refundable booking at the Sofitel Heathrow for later this month. Just recently, I had an unexpected medical issue. While the situation is temporary, my doctor strongly recommends against travel. I have a letter saying that from the doctor.

I'd appreciate help about how I should go about attempting to get some credit or a refund. Note that I do not have elite status with Accor.

I do not have travel insurance and maybe I should have gotten it, but telling me that (or something similarly negative) is not helpful. Instead,I'd appreciate constructive assistance or examples of how others have successfully dealt with this situation.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I have made a non-cancellable, non-refundable booking at the Sofitel Heathrow for later this month. Just recently, I had an unexpected medical issue. While the situation is temporary, my doctor strongly recommends against travel. I have a letter saying that from the doctor.

I'd appreciate help about how I should go about attempting to get some credit or a refund. Note that I do not have elite status with Accor.

I do not have travel insurance and maybe I should have gotten it, but telling me that (or something similarly negative) is not helpful. Instead,I'd appreciate constructive assistance or examples of how others have successfully dealt with this situation.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to hear about your health issues!

To phrase it in a semi-positive way: Experiences are rather mixed when it comes to Accor's customer service.

My suggestion would be to:

- contact the property directly vs. calling Accor's general res line
- explain the situation and ask whether there's a chance to cancel the booking and get a refund
- or if applicable / if the answer is no: whether there's a chance they'd allow you to rebook (this has worked best IME - briefly explain the situation, tell the hotel you are planning to take the trip x weeks/months later and that you'd very much like to stay there another time, and politely ask whether they're willing to move the date)
hotel_user and BearX220 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You may expect a gesture from the hotel but they are absolutely not obliged to. The travel insurance is what you need in that kind of circumstances. I know you said you don’t have any but check if the credit card you used to pay for the booking doesn’t have such an insurance. I hope you will recover quickly and I hope you will be successful for the booking cancellation.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
You may expect a gesture from the hotel but they are absolutely not obliged to. The travel insurance is what you need in that kind of circumstances. I know you said you don’t have any but check if the credit card you used to pay for the booking doesn’t have such an insurance. I hope you will recover quickly and I hope you will be successful for the booking cancellation.
I used Amex Plat and, no, they don't cover this sort of thing. Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I used Amex Plat and, no, they don't cover this sort of thing. Thanks.
Amex platinum doesn’t have travel insurance ?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Amex platinum doesn’t have travel insurance ?
Amex Plat insurance policies vary greatly by country, and in many cases do not include trip cancellation insurance. And where trip cancellation and/or trip interruption insurance is included, the policy often doesn't cover pre--existing conditions.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:30 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
As others have said your best bet would be contacting the hotel directly and explain the situation. I presume you booked directly and not via an OTA?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
As others have said your best bet would be contacting the hotel directly and explain the situation. I presume you booked directly and not via an OTA?
Correct.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:26 am

asking direct
send them paper of your doctor
call amex plat and ask if there is any help too .
greetings
cornelis
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:41 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Correct.
Excellent, then I would contact them directly and explain the situation. I was in a similar situation some years back (different Sofitel) and they were quite understanding. If you cannot get a refund, a credit note might the best you can hope for. Let us know how you got on.
hotel_user likes this.

Last edited by starflyergold; Dec 10, 2019 at 5:59 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:36 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Agree with all the above advice and would add:

If contacting Sofitel Heathrow you need to try and avoid getting a call or emails rerouted to the Arora Hotels centralised back office teams (Sofitel Heathrow is a Arora Group run hotel operating as a Sofitel Franchise and has centralised back office systems covering all its Heathrow and Gatwick hotels regardless of brand). If you get through to Arora centralised admin its like talking to Accor CS: no authority to do other than what the computer screen in front of the member of staff tells them.

If you get no joy initially email the the General manager [email protected] who is usually more accommodating or can refer a request to someone who have authority to exercise ex gratia discretion.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Amex Plat insurance policies vary greatly by country, and in many cases do not include trip cancellation insurance. And where trip cancellation and/or trip interruption insurance is included, the policy often doesn't cover pre--existing conditions.

Agree that the "offering" from Amex is now getting quite poor for the cost. I only have one now for the PP access it gives my son / gf on his around the world extended holiday ( ok backpacking in Asia ) as he has no airline status. ( He does not know of the travel insurance but I have it for peace of mind ) and told him to get and pay for a comprehensive policy as well.

Hope the OP has good luck with the hotel., or it is not a lot of money to forgo. More importantly that his health recovers. Kind Regards.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I just called the front desk and the clerk said they would take care of it (which currently means splitting the stay into two bookings and changing the date of the second one). We'll see if it happens, but the initial response was good.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Edited to add: It happened, just fine. The key was calling the hotel front desk directly as you folks suggested. Again, thanks!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 13, 2019 at 6:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.