Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silly Question ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If you are in Asia do you really want to be eating at the hotel restaurants?
Dav77 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
that’s true ... I can’t remember a time i’ve eaten at hotel restaurant in Asia, excluding some lounges. But for me Asia = holidays.

If the purpose of being in Asia is business, it can be different.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
You have a point there

Eating at hotel is not for everyone. In my case, I do not always eat at hotel, but being in a foreign land, sometimes hotels are a good starting point to experience local dishes. It also gives a peace of mind, provide certain standard, English speaking staff, less risk of getting food poison, relaxing environment, to name a few. Hotels restaurants usually provide both local dishes and international so I could be sure everyone in my family find a choice they like.

Having said that, of course eating out trying different food is part of traveling and I do that during the day while adventuring out. As I am not a late night tourist, I tend to be back at hotel in the evening and have dinner there. Hotel food is not so bad, and I could maximise benefits having 50% off, plus earning points from it
sycokid, Maelstrom and hotel_user like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Ok, we have done most of the cat herding and fog knitting ....

Thank you to all the above for the very valuable input.

Here is what we have done so far....

Ordered an Australian Accor Plus card, and our Platinum member number changed in a few days from LCAH to Accor Plus Platinum ( phew - was worried that a few phone calls would have had to be made - OH said we spend too many nights in Accor Hotels )

It helped us on a booking in France last week ( as the new Ibis was insisting on one drinks voucher per card - so showed them the digital Accor Plus card that was a new number from our original booking card - it worked - two small coke and ice .... seems a pyrrhic victory but )

Booked 5 nights ( was told by someone that this was the now minimum allowed ) at the Siem Reap Sofitel - got a much better rate than the one we had previously looked at for the same dates ( so much so card almost paid for its self in this booking alone)

Now booking more hotels either side of the stay, to meet up with family. Savings are being made from normal European displayed prices.

Hope that no one wants the "physical" card as we will only see it after we arrive in Siem Reap .....

Had a problem, and e mailed Accor , and was sent an e mail asking me to contact Australia .... so hope that there are no more problems. This seems silly, and buck passing. Not good ( Problem was hotel in France missing points but now resolved after 20 days wait )

Only problems was could not find a good flight using FB, so no extra points ( I do think that a 50 min transit at KLM base is too short a time and thus did not want to miss connecting flight so reluctantly booked BA LHR to BKK direct )

So on the whole, things seem to be going ok. Son wants me to pay for hotel in REP so looking at Styles ( well he is a back packer ..... and its a big upgrade from his normal hostels and places. ) Styles offer free transport to / from REP and a free local Sim Card for your mobiles as part of the Plat package, so will report back on that ( well what he tells me lol ) Paying with points so cheap and a good Accor Plus rate as well !
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:25 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hotel_user

Had a problem, and e mailed Accor , and was sent an e mail asking me to contact Australia .... so hope that there are no more problems. This seems silly, and buck passing. Not good ( Problem was hotel in France missing points but now resolved after 20 days wait )
It is a problem many of us face.
Though from my understanding this will change end of the year and CS will be combined/better handled.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:32 am

amex plat is perfect so far till now we got more money back then we had to pay for the card
good experience with the insurance quick reacting and helpfull
greetings
kees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.