Search

Silly Question ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Silly Question ?

Need opinions and advice on this please.

Was just planning a 20 day trip to BKK and Cambodia to Siem Repp. ( OH Likes Thai Airlines - I don't have a preference - just do not want to travel in unnecessary discomfort - but will be traveling in economy all the same )

Then Had a crazy idea to go and visit some relatives in Australia ( Brisbane ) for a week.

Then it all got silly with the planning.

Work colleague said why don't we get an Accor Plus membership to get free nights and restaurant meals discount, as it looks like we will be probably making two or more trips there in the next 10 or so months.

Any ideas ? suggestions ? we have an address we can use for Accor Plus ... and we are currently Platinum based in UK / Europe ( 100 days a year ) and looking for trip on retirement.

Any airline suggestions and how do we maximise points collected. OH said he would apply for a Platinum Amex for travel insurance and lounge access.

Stays would be mostly in Accor ( or with the status given in Amex if not Accor )

Many thanks

Seems a bit of a herding of cats situation at moment - just looking for pointers / opinions
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I don’t have any experience on Accor+ since from Italy i’m not allowed.

What i can highly recommend you is Amex Platinum for your purpose of insurance and lounges access (with unlimited priority pass x 2, you and additional amex Platinum).

Amex Plat travel insurance will cover you and your family (wife, children if living with you) even if you don’t pay with Amex. And you can have 1 Plat + 4 gold additional cards for every person (and his/her family) you would like to extend insurance benefits
hotel_user likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Need opinions and advice on this please.

Was just planning a 20 day trip to BKK and Cambodia to Siem Repp. ( OH Likes Thai Airlines - I don't have a preference - just do not want to travel in unnecessary discomfort - but will be traveling in economy all the same )

Then Had a crazy idea to go and visit some relatives in Australia ( Brisbane ) for a week.

Then it all got silly with the planning.

Work colleague said why don't we get an Accor Plus membership to get free nights and restaurant meals discount, as it looks like we will be probably making two or more trips there in the next 10 or so months.

Any ideas ? suggestions ? we have an address we can use for Accor Plus ... and we are currently Platinum based in UK / Europe ( 100 days a year ) and looking for trip on retirement.

Any airline suggestions and how do we maximise points collected. OH said he would apply for a Platinum Amex for travel insurance and lounge access.

Stays would be mostly in Accor ( or with the status given in Amex if not Accor )

Many thanks

Seems a bit of a herding of cats situation at moment - just looking for pointers / opinions
Accor Plus definitely will worth your money if you plan to stay and dine in Accor hotel. when I was having 10 days holiday in phuket 2 years ago, I got my sister Accor Plus membership just for that trip. additional 10% discount for room rates + 50% discount when dining cover more than the membership itself not including the free night benefit.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: All Diamond
Tip for Brisbane ,there is both a Sofitel and Pullman/Mercure in Brisbane Both have lounge facilities and if you are not bothered about a difference in the size of rooms at Pullman/Mercure King George Square it's good to know that they share all the major facilities . Reception,dining room, swimming pool.Kg bar, rooftop bar and most of all you will get access to the lounge even if you only book your reservation at the Mercure ( nice little perk we have in Brisbane) which is usually a lot cheaper than the Pullman side of things . Also continually check red hot rooms and private sales as they both feature on there quite a lot. Of course Sofitel is obviously a cut above the other hotel with an excellent lounge up in the rafters and good views !
hotel_user likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:50 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dav77
I don’t have any experience on Accor+ since from Italy i’m not allowed.
Of course you're allowed. Nobody says you're not.
You just need a local APAC address where you can send the card to and you need to register with the country your card is being sent.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by ququin2
Accor Plus definitely will worth your money if you plan to stay and dine in Accor hotel. when I was having 10 days holiday in phuket 2 years ago, I got my sister Accor Plus membership just for that trip. additional 10% discount for room rates + 50% discount when dining cover more than the membership itself not including the free night benefit.
I thought good idea for an upcoming Vietnam trip. Then I saw the price AUD$395. Not worth it.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
You just need a local APAC address where you can send the card to and you need to register with the country your card is being sent.
really didn’t know that. Thanks. Always thought Accor+ allowance is by country of residence
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: All Diamond
Originally Posted by sycokid
Tip for Brisbane ,there is both a Sofitel and Pullman/Mercure in Brisbane Both have lounge facilities and if you are not bothered about a difference in the size of rooms at Pullman/Mercure King George Square it's good to know that they share all the major facilities . Reception,dining room, swimming pool.Kg bar, rooftop bar and most of all you will get access to the lounge even if you only book your reservation at the Mercure ( nice little perk we have in Brisbane) which is usually a lot cheaper than the Pullman side of things . Also continually check red hot rooms and private sales as they both feature on there quite a lot. Of course Sofitel is obviously a cut above the other hotel with an excellent lounge up in the rafters and good views !
Dined at Prive249 within the Sofitel Monday night and even though we only had main and dessert the bill was reduced by $65 for the 2 of us . Food was really ,really nice but service a tad slow I thought . Still a no brainer for me though Accor Plus
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
I would say Accor Plus is worth it with a free night and 50% off dining. You need to go with a plus one to get 50% off though (50% off for 2, dine alone gets less discount). I have mine and got a supplementary card (less fee though without free night) for my sister cause we usually travel in 4, this would get us 50% off every times We just need to tell hotel restaurants to split bill so we get 50% off, never have problem.

I flew to Siem Reap from BKK with Bangkok Airways, which I remember it to be the cheapest at the time, meal and check-in luggage included. It was a 1 hour 10 minutes flight. Nice thing about Bangkok Airways is that they have what they call Boutique Lounge open for all Bangkok Airways passengers, economy included
Suvarnabhumi Bangkok and Siem Reap airport both have Bangkok Airways Boutique Lounge for all passengers
Kobetraveller and hotel_user like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
They never check the LCAH address?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:31 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by lingua101
They never check the LCAH address?
So ... if they do not check the address , do they send the details by email ? and if so what is the "best" Country to purchase the card in ( bang for buck as it were ) ? - and would you advise a new LCAH account ( as do not wish to combine my Platinum for next year with the card as I do not wish to be upgraded to Classic when I forget to renew ....Assume that the hotel will change the card manually on bookings from the Silver status to Platinum on arrival or by e mail after booking ?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
So ... if they do not check the address , do they send the details by email ? and if so what is the "best" Country to purchase the card in ( bang for buck as it were ) ? - and would you advise a new LCAH account ( as do not wish to combine my Platinum for next year with the card as I do not wish to be upgraded to Classic when I forget to renew ....Assume that the hotel will change the card manually on bookings from the Silver status to Platinum on arrival or by e mail after booking ?
You would not lose your status after not renewing Accor Plus though, you would just fall back to Le Club (or ALL next year) platinum with a new membership number. You still need an address for them to send you a physical card, but you could start using benefits right away as you will be given a membership number and account (if you decided to separate the membership) for log-in and book your stay right away. I would say it's best to apply Accor Plus through a sales/representative so that when you face a problem you have the sales help you fixing it, instead of contacting Accor Plus call center yourself

As for where is best country to purchase A+, I thought it depends on your APAC address?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:08 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
All they need is a local adrress. Of course to send the package to. So you do need a local friend who can accept the package on your behalf.
​​​​
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
All they need is a local adrress. Of course to send the package to. So you do need a local friend who can accept the package on your behalf.
​​​​
So Gilbert, they never cross check with the LCAH address?

I think the cheapest country is Indonesia (or Malaysia or Thailand?). Singapore is definitely the most expensive one.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:25 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lingua101
So Gilbert, they never cross check with the LCAH address?

I think the cheapest country is Indonesia (or Malaysia or Thailand?). Singapore is definitely the most expensive one.
Not sure if Thailand is cheapest, it costs 6,800 THB and if paid by KTC credit card gets 20% discount.

By the way, from what I was told, Accor don't cross check address, though you better have you account checked before apply for A+ or risk having status stripped down to Silver. Reason being is that if you are platinum this year from status points last year, and this year your status point doesn't get you platinum yet, after merging with A+ you would be silver. If that is the case, then you better separate account
hotel_user likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.