Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ibis air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Ibis air conditioning

I'm staying at an Ibis in Thailand which has rooms which appear pretty much identical to another Ibis I stayed at in Thailand. It also appears to have an identical air conditioning system (rotary Honeywell thermostat on the wall) which is completely inadequate.

Just like the other property, it cools by around 1°C per hour. Below 26°, that rate deteriorates significantly. In other words, if it's 30°+ when you arrive, the chances are it'll take about 4-6 hours to not be what I would call hot and about 16 hours on maximum fan to cool the room to an acceptable 23-24°.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced these rooms and whether this appallingly bad choice is just a Thai thing, or some cookie-cutter room from a cooler climate that was transplanted to Thailand without thought.
This is the room type:

Ibis Phuket Patong
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
I have never stayed in this ibis, but 16 hours to get 23-24 degrees, definitely something wrong with the air-con. Average time should be 30 minutes
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:07 am

I have stayed in several Thai Ibises, equipped with the air con controller you describe, and found their cooling adequate. I wonder whether you hit a particularly hot period or a defective air conditioner, though the fact you had the problem twice does seem to make this less likely.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=Philodemus;29908491I wonder whether you hit a particularly hot period or a defective air conditioner, though the fact you had the problem twice does seem to make this less likely.[/QUOTE]

Not especially. Normal Thailand hot. 32+ during the day.

Also, both hotels acted as though nothing was up and all they did was turn the thermostat down to 10 degrees (which makes no difference, of course, on a simple on/off thermostat) and shut the bathroom door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.